Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm hoping to become a fully-fledged member of your community soon - I'll be purchasing a 2002-2004 Z06 as soon as I find the right one. I hope that someone can answer a question for me for which I haven't seen an answer in the forum. I've evaluated 4 such cars with 50-70k miles, and all have had what appears to be oily residue on the engine block where it's easily visible (front passenger side - please see picture). All 4 cars also had modifications and displayed signs of hard use, not necessarily loving care! Is it pretty usual for these cars to show this residue, even if not driven very hard, repeatedly? Thanks very much in advance.
Bill
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2003 Quicksilver Z06
16 Posts
My '03 has been driven pretty hard for most of it's ~150K miles. Bought it new in Dec '02, and it's still stupid fast (tracked 0-60 in just under 4) and as much fun as ever. But I gotta say, these cars were made to be driven hard. You can keep looking for one that's pristine, but I think you'll discover most folks don't buy a Z06 for a garage ornament. 😏

Driven hard does not necessarily equate to poorly maintained, which should be a bigger concern. I don't have the oil residue you show, but it's rare to find one that doesn't have small oil drips (usu. tired gaskets). But if I were truly interested in the car, a seller who doesn't bother to clean the engine compartment would probably push me towards a testing facility...

p.s. valve springs were an issue, and most were replaced by their dealers way-back-when -- but it doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Premium Member
2003 Quicksilver Z06
16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much, lilesv. That's good information and advice. Looks like the yellow '03 is gone :(, and looked like a great deal

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,878 Posts
Hello,
I'm hoping to become a fully-fledged member of your community soon - I'll be purchasing a 2002-2004 Z06 as soon as I find the right one. I hope that someone can answer a question for me for which I haven't seen an answer in the forum. I've evaluated 4 such cars with 50-70k miles, and all have had what appears to be oily residue on the engine block where it's easily visible (front passenger side - please see picture). All 4 cars also had modifications and displayed signs of hard use, not necessarily loving care! Is it pretty usual for these cars to show this residue, even if not driven very hard, repeatedly? Thanks very much in advance.
Bill
Good chance what you're seeing is from the PCV system, such as an end of hose slightly leaking
At least in the one photo does not show long term leak, could even be past owner put in one of those uses
so-called oil "catch can" that was mounted there

Any real leak and the oil stains would have rolled down engine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good chance what you're seeing is from the PCV system, such as an end of hose slightly leaking
At least in the one photo does not show long term leak, could even be past owner put in one of those uses
so-called oil "catch can" that was mounted there

Any real leak and the oil stains would have rolled down engine
Thanks, Mike. That makes sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts