Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everybody,

Just a quick introduction for y'all.

My name is Chris and I am with PPI Automotive. We are located in Mooresville, NC (which just happens to be the NASCAR capital). We are 1 of only a couple US distributors for Mintex Brake Pads and linings. If you haven't heard of Mintex, take a minute and check out our website and please feel free to ask any question you have.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I am sure you will get a lot of interest, a lot of folks particpate actively in HPDE events and autocross events.

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looking for some brake pads that dont put off so much dust on my Z..can you help?
Sure we can. Mintex Xtreme and Motorsports pads are very low dust. Tell me more about what you have and how you use it and I can tell you how we can help.....

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z: and thanks for signing on as a supporting vendor for this outfit! :jammin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are these new Xtreme Motorsport pads a replacement for the M1166? I've used the M1166 on another car I track & they are the best pads I've tried.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Motorsports compound is not really a replacement for the M1166. The M1166 is a compound that has been manufactured for the UK and been around for 25 or so years. It is a wet mix and gives off a lot of dust and wears quickly.

The Motorsports compound is different in that it is a dry mix, denser and much lower dust. It is also DOT legal where the M1166 is a track only mix. The M1166 compound is great on lighter cars but not designed for the heavier cars like the Vette's.

Clear as mud, huh?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Motorsports compound is not really a replacement for the M1166. The M1166 is a compound that has been manufactured for the UK and been around for 25 or so years. It is a wet mix and gives off a lot of dust and wears quickly.

The Motorsports compound is different in that it is a dry mix, denser and much lower dust. It is also DOT legal where the M1166 is a track only mix. The M1166 compound is great on lighter cars but not designed for the heavier cars like the Vette's.

Clear as mud, huh?
Hmm, interesting... I'm currently running the M1166 on my Mini with JCW/AP brakes (street & track) with great results for the last 5k miles or so. I never found out why they're non-street rated. The braking from cold is fine, there's no squeal or chatter, dust is no more than the Ferodo DS2500's I've run & rotor wear is low, without any scoring/grooving. In fact, I'll need to order new pads later this year and don't really want to try anything else on that car since these have been so good. If I PM you a Mintex P/N can you get these for me?

Far as my Z06 goes, how do you think the Mintex Xtreme Motorsport pads will rank? I've heard our cars come with Ferodo DS2500's stock and I am not a big fan of those pads. They feel soft/compressible and low friction. I would love it if these Motorsport pads could indeed be a "true" dual purpose pad, with great street performance & great track performance when pushed hard. They sound interesting, but when I checked the price I was shocked as they are more expensive than all the other Z06 pads I've considered (like the RB-700 or 800's). Are they worth it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, interesting... I'm currently running the M1166 on my Mini with JCW/AP brakes (street & track) with great results for the last 5k miles or so. I never found out why they're non-street rated. The braking from cold is fine, there's no squeal or chatter, dust is no more than the Ferodo DS2500's I've run & rotor wear is low, without any scoring/grooving. In fact, I'll need to order new pads later this year and don't really want to try anything else on that car since these have been so good. If I PM you a Mintex P/N can you get these for me?

Far as my Z06 goes, how do you think the Mintex Xtreme Motorsport pads will rank? I've heard our cars come with Ferodo DS2500's stock and I am not a big fan of those pads. They feel soft/compressible and low friction. I would love it if these Motorsport pads could indeed be a "true" dual purpose pad, with great street performance & great track performance when pushed hard. They sound interesting, but when I checked the price I was shocked as they are more expensive than all the other Z06 pads I've considered (like the RB-700 or 800's). Are they worth it?
Well the thing with the M1166 compound is that it is NOT DOT approved because they are missing some components in the compound that is required by DOT here in the states. I know, "What does that mean?" It doesn't mean they don't work, just that they are not "street legal". They were intended for the light cars and do work great for that purpose. You are not getting scoring or rotor wear because the friction material is very soft.

As far as can I get them, hard to say if I can get them imported. As I said, they are an older, UK only, Track Only pad - per Mintex Standards. I will ask the question for ya and see if I can help.

As for the Z06 - These pads are better on the heavier cars than the Ferodo's because of the combination of heat resistance, wear, low dust and low noise. The Motorsports pads use a compound known as "X1" and started as full race pads. They are very aggressive and are truly a dual purpose pad. We have some technical test data on our site at http://www.propadauto.com/category_s/30.htm

Granted this is a test of the Mintex vs the Porterfield R4S but it tells you alot about the Mintex pad in general. Tell ya what, if you really want to try these things, PM me and we can talk about what I can do to get you into a set. I think you will be really shocked by the performance gain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts