Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was enhancing my breakin period last night,
:D I missed 3rd gear again. :cry: Is it me or is this stock shifter just a POS?? This is not the first time, the difference now is (since the car is broke in) I'm doing full throttle "speed" shifts and grinding the gear box. In my ZR-1 (now gone) and Grand Sport, the shifter(s) felt real positive and clicked into gear. The Z06 feels vaque and inaccurate. Aside from going to an after market shifter, is this an adjustment problem?? Is anyone else having problems?? It has happened enough times now where I'm afraid to run the car hard for fear of missing a shift :mad: .....it's also a little embarresing (sp).

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Just remember where the gearbox is on this bad boy. A lot of people have gone to aftermarket shifters. The shifting seems so much better than my Camaro SS that I haven't bothered.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
4vettes,

You are not alone, but here is the secret:

To shift quickly from 2-3, push the shifter straight up! Do not push it to the right. (You can even try it while sitting still in the parking lot)

I was having the same problem at the track... the adrenaline is pumping and you want to be quick... but I found I was hitting 5th, not third.

If you push it staight up with the palm of your hand, it goes into third every time.

Also note that when ever you shift to neutral, the spring will pull the shifter to the 3-4 gate. Pushing up from neutral gets you third, down fourth.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Take it to you dealer and complain about not getting it in gear--have them contact the Zone rep. We had trouble off and on and they ended up rebuiling most of the trans and synchro's. It is a quiet problem fix for the Z06 trans only. Works like a charm. Also, if you get an aftermarket shifter, you will enjoy POSITIVE shifts and not all the guessing with the stock shifter.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Get a Ripper, no more missed shifts, plus you will build at least 3 inches on your right bicep.:D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Gordy M said:
Take it to you dealer and complain about not getting it in gear--have them contact the Zone rep. We had trouble off and on and they ended up rebuiling most of the trans and synchro's. It is a quiet problem fix for the Z06 trans only. Works like a charm.
So are the dealers replacing the synchros with "updated" parts?

Have the synchros been changed in the 2002 Z06s?

·
Registered
837 Posts
4vettes said:
As I was enhancing my breakin period last night,
:D I missed 3rd gear again. :cry: Is it me or is this stock shifter just a POS?? This is not the first time, the difference now is (since the car is broke in) I'm doing full throttle "speed" shifts and grinding the gear box.
I drove C5 w/ Ripper and a C5 w/ Kirban. Decided to keep the stock shifter. Throws are a little longer but I'm not missing shifts at all.

Just need to practice banging the shifts with the engine off. Muscle memory will do the rest at the track. I practice the first three shifts, engine off, at least a dozen times before I pull into the staging lanes for my first run for the day.

Ranger

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
pmontelo said:
4vettes,

You are not alone, but here is the secret:

To shift quickly from 2-3, push the shifter straight up! Do not push it to the right. (You can even try it while sitting still in the parking lot)

I was having the same problem at the track... the adrenaline is pumping and you want to be quick... but I found I was hitting 5th, not third.

If you push it staight up with the palm of your hand, it goes into third every time.

Also note that when ever you shift to neutral, the spring will pull the shifter to the 3-4 gate. Pushing up from neutral gets you third, down fourth.
pmontelo hit the nail on the head.
This is also true of aftermarket shifters. I have done it, that ole' adrenaline will get you everytime.
I'm going to the track tonight , got to think calming thoughts. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Zee Oh Six

looking at the parts list, most of the numbers were 1244550xx, including the synchro's, but two of the synchro's were 12523043-49 and one of the shift forks was 12523052 which looks like newer part numbers (the 5-6 gear shift inserts were broken.) Talked with some friends at GM and they said it was a known problem.

When we replaeced the shifter with the Ripper it did not solve the problem--it did help shifting the other gears.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've heard the discussions many times about aftermarket shifters versus stock and I got a couple of ideas about why some of us are pro aftermarket and others prostock in all my wisdom. :D

Pro-aftermarket: prior owner and been using for years, a mod crazy individual, someone who wants somethin more personalized, just plain somethin different, and of course the stock shifter just doesnt suite ya.

Pro-stock: new vette owner not used to anythin (like me), been stock and likes stock, dont like the look or feel of aftermarket, and plain ol just aint got money to burn!

Anyways, we all got our feelings on this, these are just mine. :p

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Harry, I agree with the gang. Get a Ripper. Either that or stop power shifting:D. By the way shouldnt you change your handle to 3vettes now:lol:. See ya at Alans on saturday:cool:

·
Registered
680 Posts
4vettes, At the very least....Change the knob :D I really like my Momo Race Airleather. :D It is a very noticeable change :cheers:

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Remember one thing about the stock shifter: it is a comprimise. I have it from someone way, way up at GM (Frank and Tom know who) that said the stock shifter is built so that the shifting effort is light enough so no one will complain about the amount of effort involved. The stock shifter is as a result, imho, vague in its feel and imprecise at best. My opinion, an aftermarket shifter is the best $170 you will spend on your Vette. Mine was on my Z06 before it had 10 miles on it. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pmontelo said:

Thanks everybody for the input. I do have a concern for this "secret" shifting method though. Having been around for a while :( and having had many 4 speeds, 5 speeds and now 6 speeds (none of which have required this "secret"), what is the possibility of jamming the gear box back into 1st?? That would not only damage the gear box but wouldn't do the motor any good either. :eek: :cry:

ZEE Freak...Somebody already had 3vettes when I signed on. See you at Alan's

·
Registered
575 Posts
FWIW...picked up my new 2002 on last Monday, had a Kirban sifter in by Tuesday. Don't miss 2 to 3 anymore. Shifter is a little stiff but it's a "can't miss" shifter. Think I missed gears 2 or three times the one day I had that tractor trailor shifter in the car.

Bob Baker

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
4vettes said:
Thanks everybody for the input. I do have a concern for this "secret" shifting method though. Having been around for a while :( and having had many 4 speeds, 5 speeds and now 6 speeds (none of which have required this "secret"), what is the possibility of jamming the gear box back into 1st?? That would not only damage the gear box but wouldn't do the motor any good either. :eek: :cry:
4vettes,

Try it in the parking lot first, then try it on several low RPM shifts on the road where hitting first wouldn't cause any damage.

When you shift from 2-3, use the base of the palm of your hand and push the stick forward. Do not guide the stick left or right, just push it forward. Watch the stick and you will see it is guided automatically into the 3-4 gate. I think what you will find if you try it is that it works every time. It seems to be how they designed this thing to work.

The other choice seems to be to throw the stock POS shifter in the trash ;) .

As far as hitting first instead of third, that isn't going to happen unless your guiding the stick to the left (hard to do when shifting with the palm of your hand). Also, if your shifting near redline out of second, the trans isn't going to want to go in to first. The synchros would have to spin up first gear to an abnormally high gear RPM. You would notice a very slow shift or very big grind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts