Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shifted pretty good in my 99 coupe, probably because of the Ripper shifter.

I think because of the soft, long throw shifter in the ZO6, I have been missing more shifts than ever. I feel like a newbee shifter. I think I need to get a ripper. Has anyone else noticed shifting sucks when you go back to stock?

- Charley

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sherylann has the stock shifter in her Z. I only drive it once in a blue moon. :roll: But, after driving my Z with the Ripper and going back to the stock shifter in her car, I am completely uncomfortable with the stock shifter. Feels like I am rowing a boat!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Replace your stock shifter, they really suck. I was driving my Z06 and then would get back into my convertible with a Kirban shifter and I could not believe how much difference there was.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Charley,

It is a strange beast to get used to. Once you learn it though it becomes second nature.

What gears are you missing? If it is the 2-3 shift, try pushing straight up on the stick with the base of the palm of your hand and you'll never miss the 2-3 shift again. Don't push the stick to the right. If you push right on a 2-3 shift, you will usually get stuck between 3rd and 5th or get 5th.

For the 4-5 shift, you only need a slight push to the right. I use the base of the palm of my hand and push on the lower left corner of the shifter.

Also remeber that when that when you shift to neutral, straight up gives you third, down gives you fourth.

Best of luck,
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys. I think that I am going to go with a Ripper very soon.

I have been missing the shift from 1st to second. Thanks for the shift tips mpontelo. I will be practicing much more :D .

- Charley

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hcvone said:
Replace your stock shifter, they really suck. I was driving my Z06 and then would get back into my convertible with a Kirban shifter and I could not believe how much difference there was.
Who are you kidding?! You don't DRIVE your Z06! ;)

-Kirk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts