Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about mixing tires? My problem is that I have the Toyo Proxes T-1s on the car right now but my fronts are worn, (don't ask me, because I don't know) and my rears are fine. Anyways, I was going to go with the T1-s again, and saw that Toyo now offers the T1-r. So I want to know if it would be a good idea to put those on the front or just stick with the T1-S. Also, the biggest size Toyo is going to make for the rear will be a 285, so that is another thing I am wondering about.
:roll: :roll:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Mixing isn't bad sometimes. I mixed my tires this last time and it was an awful experience. I have the stock Supercars in the front and my rears I replaced with g-force KDW2s (soft tire). I wanted to play with them in the straight line. Well, they're fun in the straight line, but they completely threw my handling off. Because I'm a bit aggressive in my driving this mix didn't work for me - some members on here said they had the same bfg tires and they were very happy with them (but they didn't mix tires).

In the future, I will stay away from mixing tires. If you're going with a soft compound in the front (softer than the rears) you have to think that they will throw your balance off. If you drive aggressively, your fronts will bite a lot better than your rears - this can cause your rears to come out a bit, here and there.

As far as compound, you don't want to mix when it comes to fronts/rears. My example above isn't the best example, but I did get a feel for how soft vs hard tires can affect your car's overall feel. In my case, I hated it! I will never mix tires again (unless I'm putting slicks in the back for a track day).

I'm buying new tires and I'm going with Michelin PS2s all around. No more mixing for me again. Don't do it.

Hope this helps,
Alex

·
Registered
139 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
. . . No more mixing for me again. Don't do it.
Hope this helps, Alex
I agree with Alex. Don't do it. :NoNo:
With two caveats:
1. You are a road-racer/tracker who knows what change you want, ft. vs. rear.
2. You never exceed 0.6 g's lateral acceleration.

#1 doesn't apply, or you wouldn't have asked the question.
#2 doesn't apply, or you wouldn't have a Z06 (I hope).
Good Luck ! ! ! :cheers:

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have fallen in to that trap a few times. Better to get a full set otherwise you always have 2 half-fast tires.

Mixing tires will work but, half worn & heat cycled tires mixed with stickier, newer, latest and greatest will be disappointing, not to mention giving you a touch of oversteer if the sticky tires are up front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts