Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found out if the gm ls lube is needed with the Mobil 1? I tried a search and did find 1 thread that asked this same question but it got hijacked into a sale add for redline and amsoil. Wether or not those are better is a moot point as I have the mobil 1 and it says it has modifiers in it. Looking for info from someone that has ran into this before. I have only 6900 on my 01 z and had a diff leak pop up on it. It only started to leak when it got hot out, I got underneith and cleaned and its not coming from the seals. I want to dump it and readjust the level, i think it may have puked out of the vent.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Check the nylon washer around the drain plug, GM overtightend mine and caused a leak.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Check the nylon washer around the drain plug, GM overtightend mine and caused a leak. A mechanic friend of mine says to still use the friction modifier with synthetic fluid, I did in my Z28.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Couldn't find a definitive answer before changing mine so I used the GM LSD lube with the Mobil 1. Remember not to run too fast for at least 300 miles after changing; this is specified in manual though not sure why and some don't adhere to it with no apparent problems.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I never used any conditioner in mine. I changed over to Mobil 1 after the "break-in" period. That was 2.5 years ago, and I have had no problems at all. :jammin:

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
fcar said:
Couldn't find a definitive answer before changing mine so I used the GM LSD lube with the Mobil 1. Remember not to run too fast for at least 300 miles after changing; this is specified in manual though not sure why and some don't adhere to it with no apparent problems.
The 300 mile restriction is because the additive needs time to "adhere" to the gears and other metal parts. It's good advice to follow.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I change my LSD oil with the mobile 1 every year before I put my car into storage for the winter.... Never had a problem with it. It already has the additive in it (look on the label)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am not running Mobil-1, but several who are have had mixed results with regards to needing more additive. Some have found they needed more additive and some have not. Might be dependent on the specific clutch setup in the rear. If it doesn't chatter when you do a slow figure eight with the wheel all the way to one side and then the other, then more additive is not needed. Too much is no good either as it will inihibit your limited slip capability. Try a few slow figure 8's in a parking lot and see if it chatters, then make a decision on adding more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts