Votes: 180 37.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Make sense to me

QUOTE<"IMO, 5W30 is a marginal engine oil in any hot weather area. The selection of 5W30 as factory-fill oil by car companies is primarily a measure for fuel economy, and not the best choice for long-term drivability. A far better choice in oil is 10W30, and the big reason is there are less viscosity improvers in a 10W30 than there are in 5W30 Mobil 10W 30 is better"> QUOTE

Makes sense to me. How many of us care how well our oil flows at - 40 degrees? Not me. I think the difference is almost negligible. I don't even like the sound of 5W 30. In the hot weather( above 70 degrees), I run 15W 50. And that still flows like water at below zero temps.All this is just personal preference. Unlike 30 years ago, running 50W racing oil. You'd wipe the babbit "right out of your bearings".
:lol:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I changed the oil when I put the car away for the winter at 906 miles, used Mobil1 5W30 and a UPF44 oil filter.

carzzy

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Agree with Baron.....the less spread between the numbers.....the better it lubricates.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I use

Mobil 1 5W30 Spring/Fall
Mobil 1 10W30 Summer (street)
Mobil 1 15W50 Race, Pro Solo/Solo I/ Track/SoloII
Mobil 1 0W30 for Winter storage only, start once a wee, run 5-10 minutes.

Change oil every 3,000 if not changed before
PTFE treatment everyother oil change.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
While on the filter subject...

...please explain the difference between UPF44 and PF44.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Re: I use

DJWorm said:

start once a wee, run 5-10 minutes.

start once a week, run 5-10 minutes. I thought this was BAD, BAD, BAD. If you store for the winter, don't start it:-?

Is this that Teflon stuff that can lump up like a paste and could clog the pickup screen, or is that some other snake oyl I am thinking about??:-?
:)
:cheers:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: Re: I use

fyrcaptain said:

start once a week, run 5-10 minutes. I thought this was BAD, BAD, BAD. If you store for the winter, don't start it:-?

Is this that Teflon stuff that can lump up like a paste and could clog the pickup screen, or is that some other snake oyl I am thinking about??:-?
:)
:cheers:
Agree Captain!

Worse thing you can do is let it run 5-10 minutes in the winter in the garage.............. If your going to run it, get it out and drive it for no less than 30 minutes. All you are doing is a building up condesation in the oil, exhaust, etc. BAD BAD

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
YIKES...

...I can't believe DJ!! Holy cow:eek:

4 different flavors of oil...
PTFE evry other change...
run for 5 minutes...

Oh my God!! Whatever is this man thinking:-?

DJ GET A GRIP.

It may be too late but someone should really sit him down and explain the truth of PTFE and 5 minute winter start-ups.

Sorry DJ but you need an education. Hope you don't take offense as none is intended.

Charlie

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you live south of the Mason-Dixon line, use 10W-30 all year around.

GOLD72 :D :D

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Well, I went back.....

and looked at the records.

Bought the car in 2/01. weather was mild so I was able to drive it in March and 1st part of April. It came of course with Mobil 1 5W30.
April 2001/1,000 mi. first oil change to Mobil 1 10W30
Street driving in April.

May 2001 - topped off oil with rest of oil to 7qts for 2 local AutoX's in May then Regional event at end of May on Saturday, hot day ran hard, noticed oil pressure dropping after runs with hot engine/hot H20/Hot oil. Oil level OK, no consumption problem, probably reduced viscosity. Added 1qt of Mobil 10W30 for 1qt overfill (8qt) to keep pressure up. Sunday Regional event, ran hard and hot, no problems, pressure OK. Monday Ran Solo I at Nelson Ledges Ran hard and hot all day No Problems. mileage just over 4,000

June 2001, Oil change #2, 7 qts Mobil 1 15W50 expecting hot summer competition and driving. Ran hard in June, July, August.
10 local Auto X, 2 Pro Solo events, 1 Regional championship, 2 Solo I events at Glen. 2 long trips for buisness (800 mi) on hot summer days.

September 2001 mileage at just over 7,000 mi, no consumption problems whatsoever. Will not change oil until after National Championships. September 9, will not go to National championships, September 12, mileage 7,400, Oil change #3 to Mobil 1 10W30 for Fall driving and drop in outside temps. September, October, 1st half November, city driving, daily comute, stop and go driving.

November 15, 2001, 10,500 miles, engine broken in, no consunption problems, will add 1/2 qt PTFE to coat engine for Winter storage. Run PTFE for 500 miles

December 1, 2001. Change oil #4 for Winter storage to Mobil1 0W30 and to remove excess PTFE. 11,000 miles. Up on blocks for Winter storage. Pre heat car, then run car once a week for 5 minutes at idle then F1 warm up procedure, H20 temp over 170 then 5 minutes at 4,000 RPM with fan and open hood, fans off then F1 shut down procedure to burn off excess fuel in cylinders.

February 1 2002, will change to Mobil1 15W50 for Evo School, ProSolo opener and National Tour Opener in mid February in Florida.

Not anal at all.
I like the looks of my Corvette; I wash it a lot, I keep it in a garage, I use a car cover. I look at an oil change as washing the inside. I like the looks of a clean engine on the outside as well as the inside. If I didn't use the car for competition I probably would not change the oil quite as much.

I bleed my brakes before and after each event. Anal? I don't think so. It keeps me off the ARMCO!!

I decided to tear down and rebuild my '90 Callaway. 11 years old, 110,000 miles, cylinder leak downs were as tight as the day I bought it, valve train and bearings showed minimal wear. I will use the same program on the Z06.

BTW my '88 Astro has 210,000 miles on it.

NOTE: I am running a Moroso Race Oil Filter which allows a higher oil flow rate but requires more frequent changing every 3,000 miles. If not I would probably stretch the Mobil1 to 4,000 - 5,000 mile intervals. This filter does not offer the resistance that a Mobil Synthetic or UPF44 Gold Filter would.

I do not use any commercial PTFE crap like Slick50, Pro Long or Dura Lube. My cousin who is a Polymer Chemist (ex Pennzoil and Quaker State) makes the special PTFE treatment for me. He also supplies this to our second cousin in England who uses it in his F1 program.

The F1 warm up for storage or dissuse is:
NOTE: Check all fluid levels BEFORE start up

1. idle for 1-5 minutes until H20 AND oil temps come up to 100 degrees
2. then "blipping" the RPM from idle to 3,000 RPM until the H20 is over 170 degrees.
3. Then a constant 3,000 to 4,000 RPM run to get oil temps up to and over 200 degrees for 5 minutes. It is critical that the oil reaches this temp and stays there for 5 minutes or more whether or not the oil is conventional or synthetic.
4. Fans should be used if the H20 temps climb during this part of the procedure.
5. Follow shut down Procedure.

F1 Shut down procedure (prevents shock cooling)
If oil pressure is nominal:

1. Idle for 1 minute or until H20 temps begin to fall
2. Fans OFF
3. Quickly rev engine from idle to max RPM in 1000 RPM intervals.
ie. Idle-1,000-I-2,000-I-3,000-I-4,000-I-5,000-I-6,000
4. Last 2 "throttle blips" should take RPM to max RPM and ignition OFF at last PEAK RPM.
5. Let engine cool naturally. DO NOT externally cool engine. Make sure Fans and Facility AC OFF.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I always go by the owner's manual.

The GM part number for the UPF44 Ultraguard Oil Filter is 25329389, and if you want to change over to a magnetic oil drain pan plug, the GM p.n. is 88891787.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sorry DJ, that's anal! Like I have said, I have had a lot of cars, I changed oil around 3000 miles for non synthetic oil and well over 5000 miles for synthetic oil. Always run the same viscosity all year round. Never had an engine failure, except my drag cars. This is my 6th C5, never had an oil consumption problem except for my vega before I put a 454 in it.:D To each his own though.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Not anal??

After reading your edited short story, I'm sorry to say that if you don't consider THAT anal, I sure would like to know what anal means to you. I've owned many many cars in my lifetime and have treated them all with love and respect. I've never owned a car with mega-miles on the odometer, my current Camry clocks in at 185,000 and runs like the day I brought it home, so I can't comment on your F1 warm up and F1 cool down procedures and how they relate to engine performance and longevity. I'll bet you a nickel that those F1 procedures have absolutely NO bearing on the way your small block perceives or reacts to how it was put to rest for the winter months.

I too rely on the General as far as maintenance procedures go with respect to my Corvettes. He has been building them longer than I've owned them and, his scientists, designers and engineers probably have a good handle on the required procedures for maintaining them. No, I don't race them in sanctioned events, so again I am loath to comment on that aspect of ownership. However, I would speculate that using 4 different viscosities, ranging from 0 to 50, a specially, personally formulated concoction of PTFE, in conjunction with and in addition to, Mobil Oil's best lubricant ever IS ANAL!

DJ, I don't want to get into a long winded argument here. I salute you and respect your right to do as you see fit with your vehicles. I also respect you for investing the time and effort into doing what you believe to be the best for your cars. I have no argument with that. My point is that FOR ME it sure seems like a lot of wasted time, effort and money. I just can't bring myself to believe that all of what you do is in any way beneficial in the ownership and maintenance of an assembly line production vehicle. The end just doesn't seem to justify the means.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Please don't perceive any of this as a personal attack. It's not. Would you at least say that you are a little anal...just a little tiny bit...huh...would ya ;)

Keep up the good work. Drive safe and best of luck with your racing endeavors.

Charlie:cheers:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
7 quarts of 10-30 mobil synthetic w/upf44 spin on filter. :guiness:

1 - 20 of 152 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.