141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just following the manufacturers recommendations for now. 5w30

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have been running 5W30 so far. I changed the oil at 15k and 20k. Both times I put Mobil 5W30. It will probably be in there for about 3 months, 5k miles. That will be summer, should I put 10W30 in then?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Car is a dailey driver and I used 0-40 Mobil One till I got to 125,000 miles and then switched to 10-40 Mobil One High Miles oil..I have changed the oil and filter every 5,000 miles and the car uses 1/2 quart between oil changes...the car now has 163,000 miles and sees the red line every day...heads/cam and all the bolt ons and it makes 452 rwhp...:yeadog:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to use 5W30 Mobil 1 and then a friend of mine tipped me off to the German Castrol 0W30, and I really like this stuff. The engine is quieter and it feels smoother than the Mobil.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mobile 1 15W50 here at the reccomendation of the speed shop. I live in Georgia and have no warranty and no issues!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm not one to listen to a computer per se, but can someone chime in on how the various oils effect the C6Z06 or any vette's determination of "oil life remaining"? I read in the manual it's sort of set up for Mobil 1..

Namely:

Redline 5w-30
Amsoil 5w-30
Or whatever yawl use

These are different molecularly (base stocks) I believe, and I would think the computer doesn't "age" them as well as M1????

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
These are different molecularly (base stocks) I believe, and I would think the computer doesn't "age" them as well as M1????
Zeta08,
Was deployed this summer when you posted your question, so sorry for the really delayed response.

GM's oil life monitoring system doesn't actually monitor the oil in any way. It really has no idea what kind of oil you put in your car, or if you even changed it. I've read that the OLM uses an algorithm that takes many things into account including numbers of starts/stops, oil temp, fuel injector pulses, etc to calculate how long the oil will last. I've also read that the algorithm effectively counts down from a mileage default set into the computer. I've read that this number varies between GM makes based on whether they specify synthetic (such as in the Corvette) and the vehicles intended use. I really can't confirm any of this because GM doesn't post it's algorithm online.

Overall, I'm a pretty big believer in the algorithm. I've done lots of used oil analysis samples on my wife's 03 Chevy Trailblazer and my 06 CTS-V daily driver and the OLM does a pretty good job of predicting that its time to change the oil. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
If the oil life monitor had a clue, it would have noticed that my oil is over 6 months old and it spent a few track events at over 290F this year. Despite its very optimistic 80%, I'll change it before Road Atlanta in November :)

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Re: Mobil 1 Weight (you mean viscosity!)

Sure wish you had other choices for oil, other than Mobil...:screwy:
You do! Choose any brand you like. Mobil 1 is the recommended oil.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.