Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried burning regular gas, and I find the rattling under load to be unsettling. The manual indicates that it won't hurt the engine, but I don't like it. I like the car, and I would have bought it even if it made only, say, 325 hp. I get no benefit from the extra horsepower provided by premium gas, and I'd like to stop wasting money on it. I would like a properly engineered mod to allow me to burn regular without worries. Anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
372 Posts
You are in for a De-tune. Our compression is high so there are issues there. Water injection may be a viable soultion for what you are trying to do. PM me and I can give you some sources.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
LQ9 truck heads have 9.5:1 compression, get a set of those and sell your LS6 heads to buy either LS1edit or HP tuners and find a dyno tuner to detune, no prob with 87 then....Is .20 a gallon really worth it?

Last I read GM was working on DOD technology on a iron block from the same casting as an LS2 to use in their truck line....Shouldnt be incredibly difficult to do an LS2 conversion with DOD technology in a C5, or just get a C6.

I got about 475 at the flywheel and get 35 mpg on level surface in [email protected], so what if I gotta pay $3.00 instead of $2.79....I like to have my HP there when its needed, "walk softly but carry a big stick". :cool:

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
IMO, the cost of any modification will exceed your savings at the pump and potentially cause engine damage. Let us know if you decide to try anything.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
vant said:
IMO, the cost of any modification will exceed your savings at the pump and potentially cause engine damage. Let us know if you decide to try anything.
You know what? Forget the aformentioned advice, it is too costly to do. Your really better off just selling the car and getting a commuter car if fuel economy and running cheap gas is your ultimate goal.

Not only will you totally butcher your Z, but you really dont belong in one if you want to reduce the compression/power so it can run off of cheap gas.

Your obviously not into having a fast car, nor do you ever plan on using the power that your car has. Do you really need to be drivng a ZO6?

Ive yet to see anyone post with a question on how to reduce their horsepower for a few pennies on the dollar.

This is similar to me going to hayabusa.org and asking the other busa owners if it would be ok to take out the engine and replace it with some bicycle pedals, because I really want to own one of the fastest bikes in the world, but dont want to buy gasoline for it. I just wanna look cool pedaling it down the street.....

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Ok, here's my solution.....

Signup for a Chase Mastercard (or another) that offers rebates on gasoline purchases. My credit card rebates 5% on ALL gas that I buy....it's debited to my next statement.

(0.05)*($3.00 per gallon) = $0.15 per gallon savings

And the best part is you don't have to detune your engine.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If you cant afford the gas, you shouldnt be driving a Vette. My gas bill is over $600/month for all our toys. I really dont care what the price of gas is. I pay to have fun.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should have specified "cost effective" in my query. I'm wondering whether it is possible to reprogram the computer permanently to protect the engine - I wouldn't want to rely on the knock sensor continuously - and to eliminate the rattling under load.

The comment about the Hayabusa was quite amusing. In the twisties, I'm sure that fewer than one in 20 Busa rides can keep up with me on my SV650s, which has less than half the power. Sure they all can blow by me on the straight - I couldn't care less.

I like the Z06 for how it tows my 1200 lbs of bike and trailer to my favorite roads in the mountains - 8 hours - and for how it's much more fun than the bike when the weather is crappy. On those bad weather days, I wanted more fun than my 323i could give. An M3 was ruled out by my experiences with the local dealer's service department. A Z06 and an S2000 would be equal for fun in the mountains, I thought, but the Z06 works a lot better on those long drives.

Anyways, none of my ego is tied up in either the car or the bike, so the negative comments about saving money wash right over me. My first vehicular love is my Pitts Special. Nothing short of an F1 car (I imagine) is as responsive and precise, and my g-meter reads +7 and -5 after almost every flight. Not even Alonso and Raikkonen come close to those forces!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
That's a first for me. I've never heard of anyone buying a Z06 as a tow vehicle. :lol:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
ajf said:
I like the Z06 for how it tows my 1200 lbs of bike and trailer to my favorite roads in the mountains - 8 hours - and for how it's much more fun than the bike when the weather is crappy.
:bs:

·
Registered
311 Posts
vant said:
Ok, here's my solution.....

Signup for a Chase Mastercard (or another) that offers rebates on gasoline purchases. My credit card rebates 5% on ALL gas that I buy....it's debited to my next statement.

(0.05)*($3.00 per gallon) = $0.15 per gallon savings

And the best part is you don't have to detune your engine.
I have a Citi Dividend Platinum Select Mastercard.......5% rebates on all GAS, GROCERY, and PHARMACY. It's not debited to my statement, but you can click a button online when you accumulate at least $50 and they will send a check right to your house! (Of course I am sure all of you know, none of these credit card rebate programs work too well if you don't pay off the full balance on the card every month ;) )

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Umm...are we supposed to be taking this guy seriously? I think not.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
vettemann7 said:
I have a Citi Dividend Platinum Select Mastercard.......5% rebates on all GAS, GROCERY, and PHARMACY. It's not debited to my statement, but you can click a button online when you accumulate at least $50 and they will send a check right to your house! (Of course I am sure all of you know, none of these credit card rebate programs work too well if you don't pay off the full balance on the card every month ;) )
What is the most rebate you can accumulate in a year?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Cave Man said:
What is the most rebate you can accumulate in a year?
My card doesn't have a limit, as far as I know. I earn 5% on all gas purchases and 1% on everything else. Since '99 I've earned almost $1,000 for doing nothing more than just using my mastercard....pretty sweet deal. Of course, I don't carry a balance, otherwise my rebates would be eaten up by interest charges (as stated above).

BTW, I've seen cards that offer as much as 10% rebates on gas, but it can only be used at a specific brand of gas station, like Marathon Oil.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Even Discover Card gives a 5 % rebate on purchases. Use a Z06 as a tow vehicle?????? :NoNo: :NoNo: :NoNo:
I wouldn't do anything to de-tune my car. That is why I bought a Z06 in the first place (power and handling). You will end up with more problems if you go that way (de-tune). These babies respond to mods for more horsepower not less.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Hey - why so angry at this new guy?

There is nothing wrong with using a Corvette as a tow vehicle... the autox tyres on a trailer idea is an old and good one.

Towing your bike behind your Z is actually a cool idea.

When I eventually get my TZR250RRSP 250cc GP replica all fixed and going, I would liekt o tow it behind the Z :)

ajf, do you have some pictures of your hitch and trailer setup?

·
Registered
230 Posts
For a detune you could take the car to a specialty tuner and have it programmed to run on the lower octane gas. They would adjust the fuel and ignition tables to handle the lower octane. A tune is probably $500 - $1000 depending on how much time they need on the dyno. I figure no tuner has a program alreaady set-up to detune a any car.

May not be cost effective but it may be what you want out of your Z. I would figure you need to change the programming back if you decide to sell the Z after the mod. A Chevy dealer should be able to reflash your PCM back to stock for a nominal fee.

Also keep in mind, if you take your car to a chevy dealership for toher maintenance after the detune, that dealership may reflash the PCM anyway as part of his efforts (and they don't always tell you this). Then you would have the stock programming back in the car.

Enjoy the handling and brakes and stay safe.

Later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I'll trade you my 88 Astro Van for your Z06. Then you can use all the regular gas you want.

BTW my neighbor has a natural gas well and has converted all his vehicles.

You could always drill a gas well and convert your Z06.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
vant said:

Vant, Wins the Beacon of Reality Award :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts