Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone modified the stock seat(s) in their Z for racing belts? I have heard of this being done, cutting a pass thru in the seat for the belts. I was thinking about doing this for DE's and don't really want a race seat all the time for the street. If anyone has pics please post. :z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
yeh I converted mine into sport seats to accomodate my race belts-the leather is carbon fiber, black with QS trim-Vette Essentials

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
blkZ06 said:
yeh I converted mine into sport seats to accomodate my race belts-the leather is carbon fiber, black with QS trim-Vette Essentials
Leslie,
How did you get this done? Did you ship them your seat (or take it to them)?

As I am getting ready to roll back onto sea duty next month, I see a lot less racing and a lot more DEs in my future. I am looking to replace my passenger seat with something that better supports a harness as I regularly take students in my car at DEs. I'm currently eyeing the CR1 Corbeau Reclining Seat and seat mounting kit which looks to be bolt in. Problem is for SCCA T1, I need a stock passenger seat. I think I could meet both desires with sport seats. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
Subdriver said:
Leslie,
How did you get this done? Did you ship them your seat (or take it to them)?
You can purchase the sport seat cushions and convert the seats yourself if you want, then put a sport seat cover over the seat-both seats are the same frame.

I drove up to Detroit and had VE change mine out in a day, I was having the hood put on at the same time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
blkZ06 said:
You can purchase the sport seat cushions and convert the seats yourself if you want, then put a sport seat cover over the seat-both seats are the same frame.
Thanks Leslie.

Anyone done this mod themselves vice taking it to VE? How hard?

Time to try a search...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
Vette Essentials has the instructions right on their web site- forum vendor

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instructions/seat_covers/upload_seat_cover_removal.html

when I was there at the shop, Ken King was taking calls from folks doing their own install and talking them through it if they got stuck somewhere

If you didn't want to put the covers on yourself, you could always have a local ulpholstery shop do it also:thumb:

you could always do a little "every-day suede" trim too, just to hold you in the seat more. with the 6 pt camlock simpson belts, I feel very tight in the seat, wish I would have done a bit of suede though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I had my VE kit installed at Jay's Upholstery in Denton,TX. They said this is one of the best fitting pre-fab kits they have ever done. I took the stock seats out and to their shop. They had the install done in about 3 hours & $200. I have since switched to a Sparco Evo on the driver's side for DE's but found the Sport Seats to be quite sufficient. My passengers at the DE's also enjoy being harnessed in on their side.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,362 Posts
Subdriver said:
Thanks Leslie.

Anyone done this mod themselves vice taking it to VE? How hard?

Time to try a search...
Hey Subdriver, I did mine myself in my computer room last winter. All you need is hogring pliers and hogrings, you will also need the sport seat foam and the sport seat covers.
The Z06 seat covers are two pieces and the sport seat covers are three pieces. The top zips and snaps off and on, and the bottoms has to be ringed. If you need info. on the switch just let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
Thanks. Appreciate the additional info. Looks easily doable. Thinks I'm going to do this before my DE at VIR on March 26-27. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, but I was thinking more in the line of the stock seat not converting to sport seat. I heard of someone taking the seat back to an upholstery shop and having them cut a section out of the seat back for the belts, this way it would keep a stock appearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
Subdriver said:
Thanks. Appreciate the additional info. Looks easily doable. Thinks I'm going to do this before my DE at VIR on March 26-27. :cheers:
I will be at VIR on Mar 26 too if you need to look up close at the seats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,491 Posts
The OEM Z06 and the Sport Seat have the same frame. You do not have to cut holes in the frame....they are already there.

You can use some of the Sport Seat Leather and foam or have an uposlstry shop modify the Z06 leather and foam.

BTW it is NOT necessary nor mandatory to modify the stock seats to use a racing harness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
blkZ06 said:
I will be at VIR on Mar 26 too if you need to look up close at the seats
Leslie, it will be great to finally meet you. :drunken:

I'm hoping to have my seat modified by then so I can take passengers with me and have the harness work for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
aldrichc5 said:
Hey Subdriver, I did mine myself in my computer room last winter. All you need is hogring pliers and hogrings, you will also need the sport seat foam and the sport seat covers.
The Z06 seat covers are two pieces and the sport seat covers are three pieces. The top zips and snaps off and on, and the bottoms has to be ringed. If you need info. on the switch just let me know.
How much are the foam and the seat covers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
Subdriver said:
Leslie, it will be great to finally meet you. :drunken:

I'm hoping to have my seat modified by then so I can take passengers with me and have the harness work for them.
did you say PASSENGERS???

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
blkZ06 said:
did you say PASSENGERS???

:D
Students, I meant to say students... :D

Actually, I'm not sure the Mazda club will let me instruct as I haven't been to VIR before. They are going to put me in the advanced group with an instructor for a familiarization/check ride and go from there. I'm hoping that on Sunday I'll be able to take some people out in a T1 car. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
blkZ06 said:
yeh I converted mine into sport seats to accomodate my race belts-the leather is carbon fiber, black with QS trim-Vette Essentials

Very nice - can they also just upgrade the leather on the existing seats? 2nd question: what pouch are you using in front of the pass seat for storage (is it Z06 logo)?

Thx,

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
GB_Z06 said:
Very nice - can they also just upgrade the leather on the existing seats? 2nd question: what pouch are you using in front of the pass seat for storage (is it Z06 logo)?

Thx,

Greg
sure can-you can either order Z06 seat leather covers and put them on yourself or have VE put them on-or any upholstery shop.

the pouch does have the Z06 logo on it, it's velcro-d on to the seat so you can pull it off easily and wear it around your waste. when it's in the vette I use it to hold change, misc stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
blkZ06 said:
did you say PASSENGERS???

Note the passenger in my car. The group we drive with lets the most advanced drivers take passengers and other students in our cars. Kinda' wish we could have a nationwide Z06 D.E. I always like driving with other Vette's although it is always fun to spank "lesser" cars. Damn sure would like a shot at Subdriver!!! :thumb:

 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top