Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and wanted to get some information from various sources before making a decision on a purchase.

I hope this question doesn't offend any die hard FRC fans...

As I understand it the C5 Vette was originally designed as a convertable, so my question is:

If someone preferred the convertable, but wanted similar performance of the Z (for street use, not track), is it possible to add performance enhancing goodies - such as forced induction, bigger brakes, etc. and come close to a Z without spending an excessive amount of money?

How much of a difference is there in the handling?

I am on the fence and hope some of you can offer some advice.

TIA

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum Woody!! You won't offend anyone. Everyone here is friendly and helpful. :cool:

Yes, you can get performance equal to or greater than a Z06 without spending tons of $$$. I will let the experts here advise you. I have a pretty good idea as to what you need, but there are some Z owners here who are far more knowledgeable than I am. :)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You can get .....

....the horsepower you need and more. Some '01 Z06 owners have even installed the '02 cam, valves, valve springs, air box and exhaust to bring their's up to '02 specs and HP. Some have taken the CATS off and had the heads ported and a more radical cam put in. Others have bored and stroked and added blowers and turbos. Others have even popped in the 427 cu in racing block. In short the LS1 can easily be brought up to 405 HP for about $3,000-$5,000 (parts and labor). No problem.

INMHO though, a souped up vert will never handle like my Z06 because it will always weigh more.

You have to decide what you want. One of my friends has a beautiful red vert. He likes to take his girlfriend to the beach on nice sunny summer days, and that's cool. I, on the other hand, am a purest and like the raw horsepower and handleing. I autocross and Solo the car extensively so my car is balanced in power and cornering. I will always beat a vert on the track unless it has 700 HP and its Daytona (and at those speeds I wouldn't want to be in a vert).

And I rarely take my girlfriend to the beach....my wife would kill me. My friend and I do exchange cars occasionally. I come back refreshed and he comes back all white and trembleing!!!

Just depends on what you want. You can't have both. You can get close but its always a compromise. If its comfort and a cool look go with the vert. If you want the best handleing sports car out of the box and like to have your head mashed into the seat back under hard acceleration, there is no question. Get the Z06. You can always roll down the windows and turn on the AC. I never have to wear sunscreen while I drive my Z06 BTW.

BTW, once you ride in a Z06 you won't go back. Go take one for a test drive, I dare you. As Dinah should have said,
"Z the USA in your Z06!"

One last and probably the most salient point; the mods you would have to do to an LS1 vert to get Z06 handleing and HP would probably void the warranty.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
OK, I'm not worthy....

....I stand corrected.

I still wouldn't want to roll over in it.

So is the frame reinforced and therefore added weight or is it a "weak" chassis with lots of flex and poor handleing?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Re: OK, I'm not worthy....

DJWorm said:
....I stand corrected.

So is the frame reinforced and therefore added weight or is it a "weak" chassis with lots of flex and poor handleing?
You can do it but it would cost less to do it the Caravaggio way.
Check out Caravaggio's web site.
http://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com

J

·
0 Posts
Torsional rigidity of the c5 is quite impressive.

23 hertz for the closed coupe
21 hertz for the convertible

I am not personally convinced its about torsional rigidity.. I think its about vehicle use focus and the manufacturers ability to create a balance that foregoes tuners capabilities..(JMO)

To give you an idea of how the C4 convertible compared. ...it was rated at 13 hertz

I would recommend the z06 over the convertible and I am a targa top owner with a car making 380hp at the flywheel with two basic mods..

Its not so much about performance in any one specific catagory with the zo6..its the balance that the car has.

Thats the allure.

There is a gentlemen on www.c5forum.com His name is LTMASH. Next week he is trading in his 01 Convertible for no other reason than he just has to have a zo6. If you really want a great deal on a convertible contact him via email. Maybe you guys could do business?

I've seen this change to a zo6.. time and again. The car has the allure that doesn't go away!

I hope that what ever decision you come to you understand my suggestion is just that.. a suggestion.

Good luck and congratulations either way!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: OK, I'm not worthy....

DJWorm said:
....I stand corrected.

The frame is not reinforced as part of the conversion, but I wouldn't say it's a "weak" chassis with lots of flex and poor handling. It's naturally not as rigid as the FRC it once was, but it handles no differently than my '98 vert did. It should, in theory, be no less rigid than a stock vert.

Of course if you consider a stock vert to have a weak chassis and poor handling, then I guess it does.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
jonstr

nice looking ride :)

the only problems i have with verts is I like it completely quiet in a car. I can't stand wind noise squeaks and rattles :(

but it is a nice ride :D

Rob :cheers:

J

·
0 Posts
The hydroformed frame rails in the corvette are such that with such high torsional rigidity even in the convertible..there are no more rattles than a coupe or FRC for that matter..

The wind noise with the top down could by some to be a distraction ..that and the fact you cant' run a convertible at most track events might be considered an issue

The ZO6 is so fast..that even 1/4 mile racing in a convertible conversion at the track would be impossible...unless you put a roll bar in which is truly a pia.

Running these cars at 1/4 mile or road course events is a fun passtime even for beginners...

I believe thats why the ZO6 is the FRC body style....

Its pretty much a supercar that can be used every single day as well.

If you never run on the track though..that conversion of a z06 is awesome!

Congrats on a very special ride.

·
Registered
906 Posts
jonstr,

Nice ride and nice location! I have been here a liitle less than 3 months & have seen 3 other QS Zs, 1 Black, and 2 EBs... but I have not yet had the pleasure of spotting your vert! I am buying my Caravaggio one piece at a time.:lol: (see sig.)
-HarleyB

·
Registered
20 Posts
HarleyB said:
jonstr,

Nice ride and nice location! I have been here a liitle less than 3 months & have seen 3 other QS Zs, 1 Black, and 2 EBs... but I have not yet had the pleasure of spotting your vert! I am buying my Caravaggio one piece at a time.:lol: (see sig.)
-HarleyB
Hi Harley -
Perfect place for a Z06 vert, eh? BTW, Desert Corvette Assn. is putting on a show at Tempe Beach Park on Feb. 9. I'll be showing the car there. If you get a chance to come by, be sure and say 'hi'. You can get more info on the show at http://www.vette.org/desertstorm . There will also be an autocross and drags (the whole thing actually runs from 2/8-2/10). Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your responses. Not sure I am any closer to a decision yet, but you have given me some things to think about. :)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
One more thing to consider. The converted vert will never really acquire what the ZO6 has attained in just 1 model year.......LEGEND STATUS......Lets face it, you would always be comparing your vert to the legend, and what you really want is the legend itself.
Get the Z.
Chop the top off if you must.
But get the Z.
I first test drove a 02 convertible, and fell in love.
Then I drove a used 01 Z, and fell in lust.
The legend lives.........in my Garage.

Damn, I should be a salesman!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Re: jonstr

Rob1Vet said:
nice looking ride :)

the only problems i have with verts is I like it completely quiet in a car. I can't stand wind noise squeaks and rattles :(

but it is a nice ride :D

Rob :cheers:
In '01, the convertable received a 5 layer top, to eliminate wind noise.
I had an '01 convertable with the Z51 suspension and there was no wind noise (windows closed) and no squeaks and rattles. I was surprised how quiet and smooth, this car was, even with the stiffer suspension. The C5 was designed as a convertable first, for this reason.

carzzy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since Caravaggio uses a stock factory top assembly, it gets the same top treatment that the stock vert gets. It has almost no wind noise and no squeaks or rattles at all. It's a very tight car. Only time will tell if it stays that way.

I would even go so far as to say its marginally quieter inside (with the top up) than it was as an FRC. I believe this may be because of the waterfall between the seats cutting off some of the road noise that seemed to echo back in the trunk area. You could probably get the same effect in a stock Z06 by adding one of the aftermarket panels behind the seats.

Besides, the titanium exhaust sounds really nice at about 6 grand when the top is down.:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, after weighing the pros and cons I decided that the Z would be the better choice. :D

My wife was not too thrilled, since she wanted to convertable!.

Thanks to all who responded. Your help is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts