Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an area, where a lot of "newbies', me included, are prone to making POOR decisions.

Some of you "Spurts", pls sound off..........

Usually, MOST folks know Intake, then Headers, are the first two......MAJOR ones, to make the most impact...............

What about thermostats/cooling fan switches/UD pulley's/etc.........someone with a lot of experience, or one that has kept up the "Improvements", with each one added.......would be a great help to ALL..........

I have another hobby, which I am very knowledgable in/at, and have taken great pride in helping others, get started, and on the right track, WITHOUT making the same mistakes I did when I began........this is, in MHO a part of what we should all strive to do......help others, not make the same mistakes we have/did..............
please chime in, if you wish...............I thank you very much........

"MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!".

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think you are headed in the right direction.
Most gains on the Z06 are seen with intake (and here it can be as simple as a K&N filter, K&N with the 2002 style air cleaner housing on 2001's, to the Blackwing on the 01, Halltech on the 2001 & 2002, and the Vortec works well on both 01 and 02), and exhaust (cat back, X pipe, headers, or a combination). Then you can go with the MAFT to get the fuel trims right, and/or add new injectors.
It's kind of how much do you want to spend.
I think if you concentrate on intake, exhaust, fuel, and MAFT you will be going in the right and tried and true direction.
HTH
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Z06LS6

This past weekend I finally had the time to add some mods.

I am by no means a mechanic, just tinker on the Z06 :)

I did a bunch of work but mainly I installed the 02 exhaust (from manifold to mufflers) for freer flowing exhaust and for better air intake the Blackwing with High Flow Air Duct & High Flow Power Coupler.

DAMN!! What a difference :D She sounds awesome and there is a major increase in power. I will need to dyno her in the next couple weeks to get some real figures.

I also highly recomend that in addition to motor oil you change your fluids rear end and tranny. Mine were bad only 5K miles! Major metal flakes from the rear and the tranny fluid smelled burnt and was a redish brown color :eek:.

BAER Eradispeed rotors were also added for image appeal :cool:

The B&M Ripper Shifter and new shift knob go in today after the holiday festivities. :cheers:

Next I plan on investing in a MAFT and computer to read and properly tune her in.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Rollin Black said:
also highly recomend that in addition to motor oil you change your fluids rear end and tranny. Mine were bad only 5K miles! Major metal flakes from the rear and the tranny fluid smelled burnt and was a redish brown color .
Rollin what brands and weights did you use?
Is your's a daily driver, or do you think you had some breadown in the fluids due to lack of use?
Thanks
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hello Fyrcaptain:

She is not a daily driver although I try to drive her whenever weather permits or I start having withdrawals :eek:

I used Redline D4 ATF in the Tranny and Redline 75W90 Hi-Perf. Gear Oil in the differential. Vast improvement that I can best describe as "smoothness" in operation and shifting ability.

I installed magnetic drain plugs into all 3, engine, tranny & diff. to help in the future.

Also, since I was not able to get all the old fluids out I will change out again in a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rollin'

How much did the exhaust set you back? Also, how did you determine which air induction system to use?

Thanks and happy holidays!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
gnoub:

The 2002 Z06 exhaust section (from manifolds to mufflers) was a bit over $1200.00 for parts. Now I have a freer flowing stock looking exhaust system that sounds awesome, maintained the lightweight Titanium mufflers and can still pass the sniffer test :D

As for air induction that's a tough one as there are so many good choices. My personal choice this time was the Blackwing set-up after alot of research. I have in my experiance already tried the K&N, enlarged stock airbox cover and the Vortex Rammer on my prior Vette (98 Coupe).

I went with the Blackwing for the Z because it posted some of the highest gain numbers even without cutting into the shroud.

Then for true cold air forced induction this system also allows me to use the cold air cover and cut the shroud for more performance gains.

IMO the filter on the blackwing has one of the largest surface areas of all the various choices thus more air flow in my opinion. Plus it looks good, was a straight forward install and has a neat "clean & reoil" filter sensor on front.

Again, just my opinions. There are many other great choices out there :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
ZO6LS6:

The topic of what, where, how much to mod etc. is an ongoing subject of discusssion among most perf. car enthusiasts. IMHO you can only get so much from the bolt on stuff like UD pulleys, intakes, MAFs, and headers. Added together, these things do add up, but for serious HP, you need to get inside the motor.

This means a cam, and the related drive train parts like springs, rods, retainers etc. Also you will need a set of ported heads with bigger valves to match. Add this to the headers and intake, and you have seriously upped the HP factor for your car. Of course this all costs more $$ and not everyone is looking for that type outlay, especially if you do not plan on keeping the car very long.

No doubt the intakes and other stuff can up your HP #s, but it all depends how far into it you want to go, how much you want to spend, etc. Mods can be habit forming, and one often requires another. :D

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input

I appreciate it....................:D

It seems at this point, if one were to make only three changes..........

They would be:

INTAKE........whoever's....just get more air in. (5 -10 HP)

HEADERS, shorty's/LT's........either one, want to stay close to stock, shorty's, and give up an extra 7/10.......
'02's, LT's......don't have PUPS to worry/consider.(7-20 HP)

CAMSHAFT.................(25-30 HP)

Staying with the rest of the ENTIRE stock Z exhaust system, you (if the right cam is picked), will net you an additional 40/60 RWHP...........and correspondingly TQ...........

So, for around less than 3k.......you would have close to 400+ or - rwhp, and proportional TQ gain......more on the '02's with LT's......

I understand there are many variables, '01 to '02's.......
Exhaust, w/cats, less cats...........etc..........BUT I think these items would put you in the ballpark, for not a TON of $$$$$$$:roll:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Here's my game plan...I just have to wait for my car to get here. :(

But these will be done before the car has 2k miles on it. :D

1) CAGS elim.
2) Intake
3) Headers
4) 180^ t-stat
5) Underdrive pulley(s)
6) ??? maybe an X-pipe

I figure this will put me in the 375-380rwhp range on my '02.

7) (this is a sure thing) 100-125 TNT nitrous kit
*8) MAFT when/if necessary
*9) 30lb injectors when/if necessary

* these items I will do for sure if plug readings and A/F ratios are not where they should be.

10) Fikse FM5 wheels (already ordered...will be here before the car arrives) :)

Done...at least til the stock clutch goes away.
:-?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts