Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am thinking about doing a
Vararam intake
160 stat
Headers (LGs)
Tune

For those that have done this, are you happy and was it a big noticeable difference.

Any opinions, feedback and before and after comparison would be appreciated
:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put the vararam on my 2007 ZO6 and it definitly makes a noticable improvement in power, especially the more I drive it-Get it!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey guys, I am thinking about doing a
Vararam intake
160 stat
Headers (LGs)
Tune

For those that have done this, are you happy and was it a big noticeable difference.

Any opinions, feedback and before and after comparison would be appreciated
:)
Mark,

I had AR headers w/ X-pipe/HF cats, a (now old-news) Halltech F1 filter & Air Charger along w/ mail-order tune on my since-sold '06Z. My car went from 439/415 to 476/455 SAE.

The mods allowed the car to blow the tires off from a roll in warm FL air w/ sticky tires, where it wasn't able to do that before.

My '02Z had similar mods & approx 400rwhp, but it felt just as quick in the lower gears due to the shorter gearing--funny how that happens... ;)

I plan on doing the same to my '08, but adding a nice cam as well :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Bang for the buck, do a cold air intake, K&N or Halltech, the Vette-air scoop, a 160 stat and a good tune. Add a ported throttle body for faster throttle response and a ported intake for upper rpm power.
Headers..... if you aren't planning for ported heads and/or a cam, leave the stock pieces alone. I added American racing headers to the above mix and got 4 peak rwhp, but 12 ft/lbs of midrange torque additiona. A bud added LG pros to his and got 2 peak rwhp and 14 ft/lbs of midrange torque. The stock exhaust is VERY good. If the crystal ball shows a cam in your future, put on the American Racing headers with big primaries.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bang for the buck, do a cold air intake, K&N or Halltech, the Vette-air scoop, a 160 stat and a good tune. Add a ported throttle body for faster throttle response and a ported intake for upper rpm power.
Headers..... if you aren't planning for ported heads and/or a cam, leave the stock pieces alone. I added American racing headers to the above mix and got 4 peak rwhp, but 12 ft/lbs of midrange torque additiona. A bud added LG pros to his and got 2 peak rwhp and 14 ft/lbs of midrange torque. The stock exhaust is VERY good. If the crystal ball shows a cam in your future, put on the American Racing headers with big primaries.
good advise on the headers,the zr1 uses the z,s exhaust

·
Registered
603 Posts
I added American racing headers to the above mix and got 4 peak rwhp, but 12 ft/lbs of midrange torque additiona. A bud added LG pros to his and got 2 peak rwhp and 14 ft/lbs of midrange torque.
I got the opposite result...

My car picked up 22 peak HP w/ AR headers, 5 w/ the F1 filter & only 10 w/ the Halltech tune...
I wouldn't have believed it myself, due to others mediocre header results & fantastic tuning gains--but this is what we got.

I guess YMMV...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I got the opposite result...

My car picked up 22 peak HP w/ AR headers, 5 w/ the F1 filter & only 10 w/ the Halltech tune...
I wouldn't have believed it myself, due to others mediocre header results & fantastic tuning gains--but this is what we got.

I guess YMMV...
So was the headers your first mod, and you got 22 hp from them alone, or with a tune? If it was with a tune, I'd guess the gain was mainly from the tune. If that gain was from headers alone, no tune, what was your A/F before and after?

FWIW we dyno'd three stock Z's, and one made over 20 more hp than the other two, and it was all in the stock A/F being much leaner in the high HP car.

JRTX: With a mild cam the stock system should be fine. With a big cam you would probably be leaving HP on the table with stock exhaust, just a guess.

·
Registered
603 Posts
So was the headers your first mod, and you got 22 hp from them alone, or with a tune? If it was with a tune, I'd guess the gain was mainly from the tune. If that gain was from headers alone, no tune, what was your A/F before and after?

FWIW we dyno'd three stock Z's, and one made over 20 more hp than the other two, and it was all in the stock A/F being much leaner in the high HP car.
The headers & F1 filter were the 1st mods. I got the tune some time later. I can't recall the AFRs, but I'm sure the headers helped lean things out.
The car actually picked up 28hp total from the headers & filter w/o a tune.

We tested the filter first, which picked up a solid 5+, then added the headers--picking up 28. So in reality, I subtracted out what the headers added to the bottom-line, coming up w/ 22+.

Hope this makes sense...

BTW, I hope my '08 turns out to be one of those 'factory freaks' :coo:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am very curious about this too. I have an 08 Z and part of me says to keep it stock and just enjoy it the way the factory built it and the other part of me says to do some bolt on mods like mentioned above and make it more responsive. I am unsure about cutting the shroud for the cai, and the exhaust. I have heard that the factory exhaust has to be cut off. If that's the case, can it be re-installed at a later date??

Here are the mods I have been considering.

CAI. (BREATHLESS PERFORMANCE or VARARAM)
HEADERS (AMERICAN RACING)
EXHAUST (CORSA Z06 WITH X PIPE AND HI FLOW CATS)
160 STAT
PORTED INTAKE
TUNE

I am not sure if i should do any or all of these mods. I am very unsure about this subject and any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If it was me, I'd skip those CAI's, and put on a Halltech or, if it comes off backorder, the K&N, so you don't cut the shroud. The hoodscoop works and brings in cold air. I used the x pipe that American racing sells with it's headers, it fits great. The Corsa is for sound only, it won't give more HP than the stock mufflers, butterfly open. Some folks have gone back to the stock mufflers cause it got too loud all the time. I like being able to go quiet or loud with the flip of a switch. You can add a ported throttle body to the list, not for much peak hp, but for quicker throttle response. With the boltons you (and I) listed I gained 50 rwhp and the car is much more responsive. :drunken:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am very curious about this too. I have an 08 Z and part of me says to keep it stock and just enjoy it the way the factory built it and the other part of me says to do some bolt on mods like mentioned above and make it more responsive. I am unsure about cutting the shroud for the cai, and the exhaust. I have heard that the factory exhaust has to be cut off. If that's the case, can it be re-installed at a later date??

Here are the mods I have been considering.

CAI. (BREATHLESS PERFORMANCE or VARARAM)
HEADERS (AMERICAN RACING)
EXHAUST (CORSA Z06 WITH X PIPE AND HI FLOW CATS)
160 STAT
PORTED INTAKE
TUNE

I am not sure if i should do any or all of these mods. I am very unsure about this subject and any info is greatly appreciated.
I love my Halltech on my 02, I heard they really did something good with the Halltech for the C6Z, my vote is for Halltech.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts