Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few items from Dave Hill's presentation on the C6 Z06 at the C5/6 Registry Birthday Bash in Bowling Green, Ky. Some old stuff, some new stuff....
The top speed will be substantially above 190 MPH.
The fender badge will show 505 HP.
Quarter mile on street tires in mid 11's.
The car has been tested on several race tracks with over 1,750 laps at top speed. Drivers included C6R team, and GM test people.
The car magazines will get a production built car for testing in July.
Next week they will air ship a production built car to Nurburing for testing.
93 octane is the recommended gasoline to use.
The car will have heavier duty half shafts, than the C5 Z06.
The rear axle ratio will be 3.42.
Car will be available with 6-speed manual only.
the aftermarket would be able to do better than this exhaust system.
the Zo6 could take a higher lift camshaft without any problems, saying the pistons have extra valve reliefs built in from the factory to accomodate a new higher duration cam with more lift.
they brought along a dyno sheet that appeared to be an engine dyno, 505hp and 470lb-ft, and 400ft. lbs all the way across the board from 2400 rpms on up.
Xm anttena aids in downforce
The crate motor LS7 would be around $15,000
The Z06 will use the same 6 spd as the base C6, not the optional Z51 gearing.
Front brake cooling improved over C5 Z06 by a multiple of 5 and rear improved by a multiple of 2.
Front fascia scoop operable and testing shows main benefit is to reduce air temperature entering engine...not so much to increase airflow due to bends in design necessary to eliminate possibility of water ingestion.
Downforce has been optimized and adding a rear wing or full width rear spoiler will negatively affect balance without changing size of front splitter, etc. A general principle but the engineers emphasized this issue when talking about raised height of the C6 Z06 rear CMSL, size of front splitter, etc.
Lowering the new Z06 to improve looks/stance will upset the balance achieved but if you do be very careful not to exceed the "magic number" of 3/4 inches or the performance loss outweighs aesthetic benefit. Also, be aware the C6 sits lower in front versus rear, unlike the C5.
They are working on a new "steel blue" color as shown on slides during presentation. Didn't say what model year it might appear.
Horsepower to weight ratio of the best (6.2lbs to 1hp) the exotic car makers have as only the Enzo and the mega dollar Porsche were superior.
No price release til June or July
There will not be a horse power bump in the 2007 Z06, there will not be a 525hp or 550hp 2007.
He explained the 2nd year Z06 got the bump to 405hp due to a break thru in better catalytic converters (I guess inferring they could meet the same emissions standards with a larger cam?) :cheers:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

Nice and interesting read, looking forward to new Blue color.

Jack

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks good info :cheers:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Awesome...mid 11's on STREET tires? Hmm..He must have already witnessed this because I think this is the 2nd time he said this.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Appreciate the information. Hard not to get excited thinking about all this performance with a warranty.

Me thinks the "good ole day's" are here and now! :jammin:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
the aftermarket would be able to do better than this exhaust system.
Did you mean the aftermarket guys could NOT di a better exhaust system? That's what I thought I read some place else from Dave Hill.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Xm anttena aids in downforce??

I thought the antenna will be in the side mirrors. I can not stand that thing! :cry:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Lot of good info IT L GO, but why did you wait 6 weeks after Dave Hill made those statements at the C5/6 Registry birthday Bash before posting it? :-?

Just curious.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I guess inferring they could meet the same emissions standards with a larger cam?
My understanding of the CAT change between 01 and 02 was they got better cold performance from the new CAT and were able to eliminate the "pup" CAT.

The elimination of the "pup" CAT and a better air box up front made up most if not all of the improvements in HP for '02+. No CAM change as best as I can remember.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
If I remember correctly 2002 model year for the C5 Z06 did get a higher lift cam compared to the 2001 model year.

·
Registered
576 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
If I remember correctly 2002 model year for the C5 Z06 did get a higher lift cam compared to the 2001 model year.
You are correct. At that time, GM bragged that it was the highest lift ever for a production GM engine.

GOLD72

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
The 2001 Z06 had .525 lift...the 2002 LS6 had I believe .550 lift (approx) and the C6 Z06 has somewhere near .591 lift.

The ls2 motor went back to .525 lift to keep the hp just under the C5 Z06 ..imho..

I wonder if they will pump it up to .550 in a year or so to gain a little more hp..?

The stock C5 Z06 ls6 cam in the 2002 and newer corvettes was a great cam.

I threw in a 224/224 .563 114lsa to emulate what Chevy had achieved in 2002 or newer cars(plus a few extra ponies) without going too radical. I still need to spend about 300 dollars with parts and labor every 20K miles on dual springs where GM can get over 100,000 miles on their valve spring setup.

Can't knock GM's effort ....with the parameters they have for reliability and low or no service to the consumer.

Wonder what type of valve springs they will use on the ls7...

Should be interesting at the very least.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
I believe you're right.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I want one. Who doesn't? Wonder who was driving that thing on street tires when it went mid 11'S. Had his hands full or what?

D.J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts