Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got my new DRM front brake duct extensions, and got some knockoffs of the LG brake duct hub mounts.

The DRM side takes a 3" hose and the hub side takes a 2.5" hose. How do I connect them the correct way?

Only way I've figured out is to run the 3" hose, but make a slice in the hub side and just clamp it down on the allumnium of the hub adapter...

So, what is everyone else doing?

Oh, and what is the best way to cut brake duct hose?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, got my measurements wrong... DRM duct extensions have between 3.5" and 3.75" openings, and the spindle mount ducts take a 3" hose...

The old style DRM duct extensions have between a 3" and 3.25" opening...

My local "race" shop had many sizes of brake duct hose, but said he had never been asked for 3.5", says 3" is the standard size...

Guess I'll have to contact DRM about this...

So, what have you other guys done to mate them together?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
ZO SIC said:
So, what have you other guys done to mate them together?
I picked up some 3" SCAT tubing from an aircraft supply house, hooked it up to the spindle ducts, and ran it inside the DRM 3.5" ducting. Measure it to make sure that it will just stay inside the DRM ducting at full turn.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doug Rippie Motorsports

I always google it, but here you go:

http://www.dougrippie.com/

Directly:

Sorry, can't link directly to the page.

Go to the main page and click on Brakes on the left hand side... top item.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the link. I found it.

However, I have to ask: $200 for that? Seems pretty high for a couple of clamps, some flexible line and a hunk of plastic. Why are they so expensive?

·
Registered
891 Posts
DRM had to pay $$$ for mold for plastic piece. You have to pay them a portion of $$$ for mold. If they don't sell millions, your percentage of the mold cost is larger.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UstaB-GS549 said:
DRM had to pay $$$ for mold for plastic piece. You have to pay them a portion of $$$ for mold. If they don't sell millions, your percentage of the mold cost is larger.

Not to mention they are the only people who make this and sell it (at least that I have found or heard of) and it does work. For a street car, defintely not worth it... but how about $75 cup holders and such for these cars? $400 partitions? Things are expensive because there are not as many of these cars so less items are produced and the people who own these cars are willing to pay the money.

I just payed $500 for brake PADS... $200 for some ducting doesn't seem too bad.

$500 for brake pads
$12-$15 per bottle of Motul 600 brake fluid
$125 for braided stainless brake lines
$200 for DRM brake ducts
$170 for spindle mount ducts

Now I have a complete ready to go "race" setup with stock calipers...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I also have an S2000 so I know ALL about low production. There were more C5's built in 2003 than S2000s since 2000.

Is it possible to use some flexible hose, and shape it like the DRM duct to acheive the same effect?

BTW -- Sorry to hijack your thread.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries about hijacking the thread... Keeps it up to the top for more views.

Can't use just normal flex tubing, because the wheels/tires are so wide they will touch... so you would have to figure out how to keep the flex tubing "collapsed" in that area...

SimonStern said:
Well, I also have an S2000 so I know ALL about low production. There were more C5's built in 2003 than S2000s since 2000.

Is it possible to use some flexible hose, and shape it like the DRM duct to acheive the same effect?

BTW -- Sorry to hijack your thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts