Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing on this topic i'm wondering what lowering does for handling and the ride of the car.Does it handle better(if so how much), and is the ride more harsh than the stock configuration?Also does anybody know how much a stock Z can be lowered without longer bolts ect.Thanks Greg.:)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Accordind to the video it can be lowered 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch but after looking under mine yesterday it looks like the rear can go down a full inch. Some folks cut the bushings to get it down even further. From what I understand, lowering lowers the cars center of gravity which in turn minimizes body roll and keeps the car planted better under aggressive cornering. I had my exhaust out yesterday and looked over the suspension while I was under there and it looks like it would take me longer to put the car on jack stands than to actually lower it. It really looks like a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frank,

Got any before and after pics of the lowering? Is 3/4" noticable? in looks? Thanks Greg.:)

·
Registered
0 Posts
No before and after yet. It takes a couple of weeks before the Z settles down to it's lowest point. I will try to dig up some pics. :)

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Frank,

In your opinion, is a 4 wheel alignment definitely necessary after dropping it using the stock bolts (drop of 5/8-3/4")?

I'm not against spending $50-60 to re-align the car, but the less time service people in general touch the car the better. If my hands bump or scratch it on accident, that's one thing...if someone else does it, then I chalk it up to them not being careful.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Greg,
Yes, absolutely without a doubt, 3/4" is noticeable.
1/2" is noticeable!
Mine dropped 3/4" in the front and 1" in the rear with the stock bolts. The ride did not change at all that I could tell.

Wes,
Alignment check is a good idea. Notice I did not say alignment.
People keep asking "Do I need an alignment"?
No one can answer that until you get the car on the rack and put the alignment equipment on it. It depends how close to the edge of the alignment tolerances your car was before the lowering.
Also, never, never cut the rear bushings.
Dave

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
corvette dave said:
Greg,
Yes, absolutely without a doubt, 3/4" is noticeable.
1/2" is noticeable!
Mine dropped 3/4" in the front and 1" in the rear with the stock bolts. The ride did not change at all that I could tell.

Wes,
Alignment check is a good idea. Notice I did not say alignment.
People keep asking "Do I need an alignment"?
No one can answer that until you get the car on the rack and put the alignment equipment on it. It depends how close to the edge of the alignment tolerances your car was before the lowering.
Also, never, never cut the rear bushings.
Dave
Dave sorry to harp on about pics but got any pics? Also are you using frame savers or anything like that because of the lowering.G

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
As a relative newcomer to the list can someone point me to a thread that describes what is involved to lower the Z06? I like the way it sits but looks like 3/4" or so would be an improvement.

TIA

Les

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Wasn't low enough for me.......

I lowered mine as much as the bolts would allow, but still was too high for my liking.The following day I cut the frt bushings off flush and have the bolt all the way in. In the rear I cut about 1/2 inch out of both the top and lower cushions,and backed the bolts off till the space around the tire was the same as the frt.I did not feel any difference in ride or handling( still have not reached the limit of these cars). I do have frame savers, but the have not hit anywhere( yet).My airdam hits almost on everything,but no damage ,other than scuff marks on the lower edge. And as far as alignment, even coming down as much as I did, the alignment wasn't that far off.But as Frank said, have it checked. I would wait a week or so after you lower the car for everything to settle before you take it to be checked. Good luck.
ps Anybody looking for a Miata?

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts