Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any modifications that will allow more negative camber on the rear wheels?

I was able to get -1.5 degrees with the stock cams but would like to be able to run -2.5 or so.

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't know what tires you're running, pressures, or what type of overall alignment, but -2.5 sounds like a bunch of camber to run in the rear. I would imagine you wouldn't be happy with the balance or the forward bite.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would think that -1.5 degrees in the rear would be enough to prevent wear on outside edges. Too much toe in or toe out?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tires are Goodyear racing slicks from the C5R program. They have 3 degrees of negative camber built into them.

I contacted the Goodyear engineer who worked on the C5R project and he recommended 3-3.5 degrees negative front and 2-2.5 rear for these tires.

I've run similar tires before and they do require a lot of negative camber or they tend to wear the outer edge.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
AlanC said:
The tires are Goodyear racing slicks from the C5R program. They have 3 degrees of negative camber built into them.

I contacted the Goodyear engineer who worked on the C5R project and he recommended 3-3.5 degrees negative front and 2-2.5 rear for these tires.

I've run similar tires before and they do require a lot of negative camber or they tend to wear the outer edge.
John Purner told me I would not need to change camber as I run other tires like Hoosier DOT

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ride heights (measured from the top of the fender well to the ground) are as follows:

LF 26"
RF 26 1/4"
LR 26 7/16"
RR 26 9/16"

Also, if you're curious, corner weights (with driver and 3/8 tank) are as follows:

LF 867 lbs.
RF 866
LR 835
RR 782
Total 3350
Left 1648 49.2%
Front 1733 51.7%
Cross 1701 50.8%

I ended up setting the front camber to 2.5 degrees negative, and the rear to 1.5 degrees negative. I'll keep an eye on the temps and wear and adjust from there as needed.

I'm still interested in knowing what methods are available to obtain more negative camber in the rear wheels. I'm aware of the Hardbar camber plate kits. I'll contact them and find out if they can provide more negative camber than stock. Are there any other manufacturers I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have you taken tire temps yet to be sure you need more than -1.5. I have about -3 in front and about -1.5 in the back and the car is nicely balanced. That's also using the Kumho V710.

Grab a pyrometer, do a few hot laps and take your tire temps before adding all that camber in there. As a general rule, if the outside part of the tire is hotter than the inside, then you need more neg camber.

Hardbar does make some camber plates and you can also use the T1 camber plates, but that would provide too much neg camber for you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
AlanC said:
Anyone know how much camber the T1 camber plates allow in the rear?
A bunch!! Different cars will develop different camber settings with these plates. Normally though, the T1 plates are about right for the front, but give over -2 on the back...which is probably a bit much. I've seen ranges of -1.6 to -2.4 using the T1 plates on the back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts