Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on here for only a few days........
I have also, perused the Corvette. site...........
It SEEMS, that there is LITTLE if any difference in the top 2-3 intakes........
Basically, seems to be a choice between bottom feeder, or inside job..........
Horsepower gains, 5-17 depending on WHOSE you are looking at........
Is there a CONCENSUS possible on "Which", is the best bang for the $$$$$.........
Call me "Dazed & Confused"...............

Thanks

Z06LS6

·
Registered
0 Posts
JMHO

Haltech makes the most beautiful quality intake bar none. As far as best bang for the buck, I chose Vortex. Modding 2 Z's isn't cheap. :(

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fcalmes.......

Thanks............
Is there a "Particular", Vortex model or just one???.
I spoke with a local (supplier) on here, and he said the Vortex mod will add around 5-10 H.P...........static & on Dyno........more at speed......(air flow increases).
What is your opinon/s,, and feelings with what you have in use now?.:)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I have to agree with Frank, and there is another thread on this starting up in GS......I Halltech'd mine but would have done exactly what he did if I had 2 Z's :eek:

JC

·
Registered
0 Posts
Re: fcalmes.......

ZO6LS6 said:
Thanks............
What is your opinon/s,, and feelings with what you have in use now?.:)
I am very pleased with the Vortex Rammer. I am not sure if the power duct adds any more ponies. If I had to do it over again, I would still do the Vortex, but I would probably have gone with the Haltech Cobra air bridge.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Z06LS6, yer wading into an ongoing controversy re the whole subject of intake mods. Blackwing, Vortex and Halltech are being used by a number of Forum members. It is generally agreed here that intake mods are a good thing to do. My advice is to look very carefully at each system from a price/perfomance, appearance, and engine safety perspective.

All of these systems have strengths and weaknesses. The Blackwing is used by some major tuners such as Lingenfelter in their packages so there is a vote of confidence for that unit. The Vortex offers very good price/performance and in certain models, such as carbon fiber look(which I have), is considered attractive by many. Halltech may make the most peak h/p, is very attractive and more expensive than the others.

So take a careful look at each system based upon price, manufacture, where the filter is placed in or under your car, and other members experiences. I might add, you may want to call some major tuners who do not manufacture these units, to get their $.02.

Just my $.02. BTW, my choice is in my sig.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Mr LS6:

The intake mod has been one of the most controversial threads for 100's of years! (well, almost :eek: )

The December issue of "Vette" magazine has an article on page 70 entitled "Z06 tricks." It tells how to add 25 hp to a Z06!

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr. Zippy......

And, if I may be so bold..........pray tell, where might I find the article/magazine, at this late date????
Is there a write up on any of the forums with this info????.
thanks

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Z06LS6:

Vette Magazine is one of the largest Corvette magazines in the nation......you should be able to find it at any major chain drug store, book stores such as "Borders," or "Barnes & Noble," etc.
Another idea is to subscribe to it by calling 1-800-456-8259 or visit their web site at WWW.VETTEWEB.COM.

Hope this helps!

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frank, Zippy......

Thanks.......I meant the article.....if it was from last Dec.......it would be a hard locate, I would think NOW........
The magazine, no problem.....
Any of you guy's heard of the "Vararam", system?????(sp).
Sposed to make an extra 35 ponies # the RW.........:eek:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Z06LS6, the Vette magazine article being referred to is for this December. Mags have these incredibly long lead times, kinda like seeing Christmas stuff in stores already!!:(

Anyway, basically Vette took an '01 Z06, and first tested it stock on a Dynojet (IMHO the most accurate chassis dyno out there). Stock car tested at 332 rear h/p, 335 rear ft/lbs torque which calculates out at 390.5 crank h/p and 394 crank torque. These numbers are pretty average for an '01 from what several tuners have told me.

Addition of the Blackwing raised rear wheel h/p to 346 a 14 rear wheel h/p gain for $260 bucks. Rear wheel torque increased to almost 344 rear f/lbs. Next step, they added an SLP "Loudmouth" exhaust - and without baffles it picked up an additiona 8 extra rear wheel h/p.

Caution! I have a friend who has this exhaust on his SS, and it is LOUD!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BLU

Thanks...........

Yeppers..........I looked at the LOUDMOUTH, set up......and it APPEARS to be an almost straight piping set up.........

With high decilbel levels, I think I will stick with what I have, I am not into Excedrin headache # 64 anymore............:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts