Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to feel like I made a bad decision when I replaced my stock F1's with new F1's. After reviewing the overall feedback on tirerack, the F1's look fairly dismal. I did a cumulative average (no weighting which is somewhat unfair) and came up with 7.46 for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar, 7.85 for the Kumho Ecsta MX, and 8.85 for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Here's the numbers by category.
Code:
                     [b]   F1            Ecsta            PS2[/b]
Dry Traction            9.3            8.9             9.5
Wet Traction            5.9            7.5             8.9
HydroResist             4.7            7.5             8.9
Cornering               9.3            8.6             9.2
Response                9.2            8.4             9.2
Comfort                 7.7            7.7             8.7
Noise                   7.1            7.2             8.7
Tread Wear              [u]6.5[/u]            [u]7.0[/u]             [u]7.7[/u]
  totals               [b] 7.46           7.85            8.85[/b]
I've seen people recommend the Nitto's. I assume they mean the NT-555 Extreme ZR. Unfortuantely, Tirerack doesn't speak Nitto. Unless 700 people who submitted survey's for Tirerack are wrong, I could have dropped another ~$200 and gotten much better rubber. Am I on track here or way offline?

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I think it depends what kind of driving conditions and the performance you desire. When my F1's were new, they had pretty good traction in 1st & 2nd, although quite a bit of wheel spin. They held the corners good on road courses, but still are very noisy on concrete surfaces. They have 15K miles on them now, and after adding the cam and other upgrades, traction sucks and I wouldn't trust them in the twisties anymore. I need dry traction and an "R compound" type hold in the corners and will be going with the Nitto 555r2's this Spring. I will probably only get half the tread life vs. the F1's, but I want performance everyday and don't want to change tires for occasional DE's. F1's are fine for weekend cruises and daily driving, but be careful in the rain. My thoughts. :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I agree with DA, it all depends on the driving conditions. When I get my new tires, I'm switchin over to Khumo's. The F1's aren't that good in wet condition. I hate having to drive the Z in the rain. The only problem with the Khumo's is tire size. You'll have to use MX in the back and Ecsta in the front

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personnaly , I went with the Kumho's after the stock F1 wore out. Stay away the dry traction is a worse new then the F1 with 20k on them. Yes they aren't as noisy but am constantly spinning in the first 3 gears. and don't even think about rain. My wife even complains about the traction or lack of on the Kumhos

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The PS2 looks like it's the new King. Therse are the factors I care about.

F1 ECSTA PS2
Dry Traction 9.3 8.9 9.5
Cornering 9.3 8.6 9.2
Response 9.2 8.4 9.2

One thing that not mentioned is the weight of the tires. The F1 is very light compared to most tires. :cheers:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The data came right off of tirerack.com. 0 is worse, 10 is best. The PS2 does all of the performance exercises that the F1 does, and it has none of the weaknesses. I don't know what the tire weights are. Guess I'll do a little more digging :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
As far as I can tell the tirerack is a survey by drivers and does not provide measured data for the Z06 performance relative to the tires used.

Is there any actual measured data available for the different tires? I think that would give an unbiased idea of the relative performance and trade-off between tires.

There appears to be some people using NITTOs on this site for racing and auto-x. Do they have any idea what the differences are?

Just my $.02. Good luck in your hunt

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
IIRC, the data is simply cumulative totals of survey responses completed by consumers, and all cars are lumped together.

It looks good on paper, but I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in it myself. Some tires simply work better on some cars, and noise is also a big variable depending upon application. Some brands/models have 30-day trial periods, however.

Going away from tires or designed for a car can produce surprises, but for a more versatile tire, it's somewhat unavoidable.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
BTW - the Pilots are way :mah: more expensive than any of the others listed - they OUGHTA be good!

·
Registered
744 Posts
pauln64 said:
The only problem with the Khumo's is tire size. You'll have to use MX in the back and Ecsta in the front
You can use the 275/40 x 17 MX in front and standard size MX in the rear with no problems. I have the EXSTA MXs for daily driving and F1s for "extracurricular" days, and find the Kumhos have excellent wet/dry street traction. Way better in the wet than F1s, and almost there in the dry.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I will be ordering my PS2s in about two weeks. My F1s are getting pretty nasty on the street with just a little over 10k miles on 'em. I have done several competitive type events on them, tread depth is still decent but since they are going on 4 years old, I think the compound is drying out. Forget about anything other than "grandma driving" on a wet or cold road.

According to Conner over at Tire Rack, the PS2s are lighter than the F1s they are replacing. That fits in perfectly with my overall program to reduce sprung, unsprung and rotational weight.

More expensive - yep, you get what you pay for. There is a reason why the C5Rs wear Michelins and not GYs. :yeadog:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would take those feedback ratings on Tire Rack with a grain of salt. They're not really an apples to apples comparison, because the user applications are different, especially with the PS2. The PS2 has a much wider size offering than the F1 Supercars do, and as such the PS2s fit a much wider variety of cars than the F1 Supercars. For example, the PS2s will fit my Infiniti G35 Coupe, but Goodyear doesn't make an F1 Supercar to fit my G35.

A guy who upgrades to the PS2 on his BMW 330i may be blown away by the performance they offer compared to his last tire, and thus give them huge positive ratings. He might actually be more impressed with the F1 Supercars, but since they aren't made in a size for his car, he'll never know.

The F1 Supercars are a rare tire overall. The only production cars they come standard on are the Z06, Ford GT, and the Ferrari F360 (a cousin to the Supercars called the Fiorano).

The F1 Supercars were specifically made for the Z06. The PS2 is an excellent tire as well, but my point is I don't think you would see such a large rating difference between the two tires if you compared only Z06 user ratings.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I stayed with F1 Supercars, PS2 are exxxpensive plus I dont drive my car but on good weather days so I dont care about wet traction.

·
Registered
207 Posts
After doing extensive research, I recently got Toyo Proxes T1-S for my car, and think they are great. Then again, I daily-drive, even in the rain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm surprised by how much I like the F1s, as normally I've found that the Goodyear anythings don't live up to the hype. I don't care about noise issues with any tires on my sports cars. The other alternative to look at is the new Firestone Wide Oval. Seems like that might be a good combo of performance vs. cost? Just have to wait until more guniea pigs report their experiences with them :yeadog: .

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
The nittos people talk about are not the extreme ZR .. they are the Nitto 555RII. They are much better than all of the tires you listed. Their only downsides are that:
1- have bad wet traction(almost as bad as the F1s)
2- wear quickly(5-15K depending on how you drive)
3- pick up dirt if you drive on filthy roads

I am on my second set of nittos and i will be getting them again. Anyone with a Z06 would love them i am sure! Just make sure you are not going to be using them alot in the rain. A little usage in the rain might not bother you .. but if you had to watch for raing everyday then its not worth it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts