• Speed bleeder screws

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have searched the forum, and this has probably already been beaten to death. But which is the preferred method for DIY brake bleeding? I already own a Motive power bleeder, but after doing some reading it seems that the pressure bleeder can introduce air into the fluid. (See http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/brakefluid1a.htm - section on power bleeders do's and dont's). This leads me towards the speed bleeders, but do they work?

I'm also trying to decide which brake fluid to use. My car sees track use about two times a year, so Im trying to decide between ATE Super Blue and Motul 600. I read that the Motul fluid absorbs water more quickly than the ATE Super Blue flluid. (See http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html - section on difference between fluids) So now I'm leaning towards the Super Blue ATE, I already run it in my BMW, but is it good enough for track use on the Vette?

Help me rule out the :bs: from fact.

Thanks!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I installed Speed bleeders and they seem to work great.
:usa:

·
Registered
101 Posts
15 to 17 lbs of air pressure isn't going to force enough air into your brake fluid to make any noticable difference. I've used my Motive, dry, for several years without any problems on several different vehicles, some of them track cars.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I use the speedbleeders and love them w/o any problems. I also use Motul which was a great improvement when I tracked the car. When I was at the track I failed inspection because of my fluid and the techs at the track only used Motul 600 which I converted to on the spot and loved all day.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Alright I have searched the forum, and this has probably already been beaten to death. But which is the preferred method for DIY brake bleeding? I already own a Motive power bleeder, but after doing some reading it seems that the pressure bleeder can introduce air into the fluid. (See Warped Rotor Myth - section on power bleeders do's and dont's). This leads me towards the speed bleeders, but do they work?

I'm also trying to decide which brake fluid to use. My car sees track use about two times a year, so Im trying to decide between ATE Super Blue and Motul 600. I read that the Motul fluid absorbs water more quickly than the ATE Super Blue flluid. (See Brake Fluids - section on difference between fluids) So now I'm leaning towards the Super Blue ATE, I already run it in my BMW, but is it good enough for track use on the Vette?

Help me rule out the :bs: from fact.

Thanks!
I have used both. The Motiv pressure bleeder I use now will work at about 12 to 15 psi. I don't think any SIGNIFICANT amount of air is added at that low psi. I like to watch the fluid come out of the bleeder & I can measure how much I'm taking out at each corner. There is no jumping in/out to pump pedal.

The speedbleeders are good also. Watch out for the sealer wearing off after a couple of uses.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
The speedbleeders are good also. Watch out for the sealer wearing off after a couple of uses.
I've read of those having leakage problems with speedbleeders. I've had mine for four years, probably close to 100 bleeds, and haven't had a problem. I'm careful not to over tighten (or to "overloosen") ... but I'm going to remove them and put new thread sealer on this spring as a PM action ... :idea:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've read of those having leakage problems with speedbleeders. I've had mine for four years, probably close to 100 bleeds, and haven't had a problem. I'm careful not to over tighten (or to "overloosen") ... but I'm going to remove them and put new thread sealer on this spring as a PM action ... :idea:
You can also use a very heavy grease on the bleeder threads to "seal" them.

:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Speed bleeders are 100 times more convenient to use. Especially if you have to do it at the track. I have both and never use the Motive.

I believe Motul600 is about 2x as expensive as the Blue. I'd use the Blue in your case(and mine for that matter)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I tried the bleeders and did not like them because you still need another person. After several yelling matches with my wife (who turns out not to be a great brake bleeder partner), I found the Motive system. Purchased it and use it dry. Works great. I don't think there is enough pressure to drive air into the fluid under normal usage.

Do you have another person to be there when you need to bleed? If so, and they know how to pump the brakes properly, that is a simple solution.

If you are alone, the Motive is the way to go.

I have my Z mostly for DE's and have never used the more expensive racing fluids. I use the Valvoline Synpower synthetic fluid which is readily available at most parts stores. Its cheap so I can flush my system whenever I want without feeling like I'm pouring money in the bucket.

FWIW. Good luck.:drunken:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I tried the bleeders and did not like them because you still need another person. :
The way they work is you crack the bleeder open & attach a hose/bottle & then jump in the car & pump a few times.

Jump out, close bleeder, move hose & bottle & repeat 3 more times.

You hope the hose does not fall off or bottle overflow.

The check valve in the speed bleeder prevents (one hopes) any air from sucking up into the caliper. Usually works ok.

I like to be there & see the fluid drain & watch for bubbles & color of fluid to change, hence why I prefer Motive.

·
Registered
695 Posts
While it is true that you can do it alone with the bleeders (as described by Froggy above), I find it is not as convenient as the Motive approach. IMHO:pp:

You can watch and complete each wheel with just one "visit", instead of the iterations required with bleeders. I like to watch the fluid color as it flows so I can tell when the system has fully flushed. I have noted that most service places Will replace very little fluid. I tend to replace a lot of fluid and need to see it to know my system is flushed. This perhaps also help me get good results on track with relatively inexpensive fluids.:sneaky::)

·
Registered
733 Posts
BTW I was using my Motive to bleed last weekend & a hose blew out & sprayed brake fluid all over. You have never seen me move so fast to wipe/wash/wipe/wash everything on the lf of the car. Lucky no damage done.

Replace the hose material every couple of years & do not leave fluid in the hose between use.

Other than that disaster, it worked fine. Gotta love the feel of the brake pedal with fresh fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
If you go with speedbleeders, order their speedbleeder hose. It fits the bleeders very snugly so you don't have to worry about it coming off.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The best way to use the Motive is dry. No mess involved, no wasted fluid.

You mean just keep filling up the master cylinder?

·
Registered
144 Posts
You mean just keep filling up the master cylinder?

Yes. Top it off and bleed out up to .25 liters. Then top it off again. I find I can usually do all four corners with one top off at the beginning. If you use a little water bottle (.5 liter) you can easily tell when you have drained off more than half a bottle full.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes. Top it off and bleed out up to .25 liters. Then top it off again. I find I can usually do all four corners with one top off at the beginning. If you use a little water bottle (.5 liter) you can easily tell when you have drained off more than half a bottle full.
I'll try that next time, hell of a mess to clean up when a hose blows.

So does the m/c hold about 1/2 liter?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts