Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard any news about this. I know at least one vendor has them for sale. Has anyone used these before and what gains can be made. For $76 each coil, they are kinda pricey.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Over 2 1/2 years ago I personally petitioned a number of manufacturers; namely MSD, Mallory, Jones, Accel, and Holley to develop an aftermarket coil to replace the OEM's.

Things I requested were higher output voltage, quicker rise time, variable duration/dwell and multiple spark capabilities.

The reason it took so long to develop is that the exciter or driver circuit is built into the OEM AC Delco coils, so it was not as simple as developing a better coil.....and the fact that the OEM's are very good coils to start with. The OEM coils put out about 60 mJ which will quite easily knock you on your can.

MSD is the first manufacturer to engineer a coil that will work with and in the OEM circuit and provide a higher output. I am awaiting a call from MSD with the new specs such as output and rise time. I do not have these as yet. These look very nice and should provide a performance boost. They are based on MSD's "Blaster" racing coil.

In addition they have 2 inputs; one for the OEM circuit controller and another for a soon to be developed MSD controller that will provide multiple spark capability.

Be forwarned that they retail for $76 each, that's $608 for a complete set of 8. I therefore would not recommend these for a street driven car but they will offer a performance increase and will be suitable for NA race applications and for supercharged, turbocharged and Nitrous applications.

I will be offering these soon as a kit coupled with Magnecor Race Wires, Beru Racing Plugs & HD Grounding Straps OR an option of subbing in CD Race Wires.

I will also be able to provide a coil relocation kit with longer race Wires. Stay tuned.

NOTE: GM/AC Delco provides 3 different coils with applicability to the LS1/LS6/LS2/LS7. There are 2 different truck coils and the OEM found on the F & Y body cars. Rather than list by part #, I will describe the difference by external shape. The 2 truck coils are described as "round" and "triangular". The "triangular" has the output connector coming out of the midsection of the coil. The LS1/LS6 coil is more "rectangular" and has the output connector coming out of the bottom.

Although GM states that all the coils are basically identical in electrical output many racers and engine builders prefer the "round" truck coils as they believe they operate better at high RPM in higher HP applications.

The real problem with the OEM coils is not so much the output but the dwell or length of spark in forced induction. In these situations the dwell needs to be OEM like at low RPM and lengthened under higher RPM & Boost. The OEM do not have that capability.

I have also heard that another controller called Big Stuff III can help the OEM coils as well in these applications. Note: I understand that the Big Stuff unit is NOT a coil(s) but rather a PCM/ECM replacement module that is programmable and provides the capability of controlling and varying the OEM coil dwell.

Here's a pic & info on the MSD units

http://msdignition.com/2005/2005_2.htm

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
DJWorm said:
I will be offering these soon as a kit coupled with Magnecor Race Wires, Beru Racing Plugs & HD Grounding Straps OR an option of subbing in CD Race Wires.
Are you an "official" forum vendor, yet? :sneaky:

Don

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
ASAP

The start up should have been January 1, 2005 but setting up the web site, getting the state paper work in line and getting suppliers on board as well as setting up imports from Europe for some unique parts and engineering our own parts has been daunting. Frankly the web site has been the biggest PITA but it will all be resolved soon.

I of course will become a Supporting Vendor here, first.

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Good info, I guess I'll be staying stock. :z:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts