Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like I'm sand blasting the sides of my car everytime I drive it. I hate to do this but I'm thinking about putting mud flaps on the wheel wells. Forget about ClearGuard, I'm not fooling with that stuff. It even looks like the vinyle around the rear brake ducts is pitted. I guess from stuff thrown up by the front wheels. Anybody else put flaps on thier car?
Mash

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
:puke: Mud guards

My own personal opinion, of course. :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, but don't you hate hearing that sound of sh.. flying up all over your car? I saw Stoneguard mentioned elsewhere on the forum. What is that?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
STONGARD is an awesome product........:)

I have it on the front of my 160k diesel coach, and the car I pull behind it. I WILL put it on my Z when it arrives. A number of the Z owners here in WA State, have it, and IT WILL save your paint.

Look for them on the web. They have distributors all over the country.

Good luck,,,,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
638 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't do it.:eek:

Not to take anything from vendors but I have seen a clear removable plastic from 3M that goes on and off easily.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I was concerned about chips so I ordered a set from RKSport. They are painted to match the car. They were $80 a pair. When they arrived there were 2 problems.:( The main problem was there was some dirt or something that got mixed in the paint.:mad: Also the paint was a little thin in some places.

The front ones fit the contour of the fender nicely. But the rear ones did not fit quite as well. There was a small gap in the middle when you placed it against the fender unless you forced it a little.

This is a new product for RK & they were not aware of any quality problems. I am waiting for a new set. I sent them back on Jan. 11. They were to inspect them before they send the new ones.

These were the best looking splash gards I found.
I'm still waiting. :roll:

Let me know if you want to know what happens?

Terry :cheers:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Terry,
Thanks for the reply. I have ordered a set from Mid-America. Altec Molded Fender Guards. I'm thinking about putting them on with double stick tape to see if I can live with them.
I would be very interested in seeing how yours came out. Take some pics for us.
Lt. Mash

·
Registered
352 Posts
I ordered one set in MY, but the color is not an exact match, plus I did not have the hearth to make the holes in the body work and the fit was not pleasing to me..:(

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Who did you get your's from & which brand did you get?:-?

I'll need to check the color match if mine show up

:roll:

Was the fit bad on front, rear, or both? My front fit fine but the rear did not follow the fender countour as well as it should.
Thanks...

Terry :cheers:

·
Registered
352 Posts
"My front fit fine but the rear did not follow the fender countour as well as it should. "
Plus the color was not 100%. I lost the invoice and dont remember were did I ordered from.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
This has come up many times in the past here and over at that other forum.
There ARE body colored molded splash guards that most catalogs only show a very small picture of the guard itself on the car.
If someone has this type on their car or even on a non Z06 Vette,

PUHLEEEEEESE post a pic of them shown on the car, and the pic shows the entire car for reference!

Thanks, thinking about these also:eek:

:cheers:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok, I couldn't stand it any longer. Please don't send me that guy throwing up. My stomach is queezy enough over this. I recieved my Altech mud guards from MidWest Friday. I had ordered silver and they came black, unpainted. Well, I can tell you this for sure, how I know is a different story, but you are not going to get painted mudflaps that are a match for your car without blending the paint. Trust me this is a FACT. So I decided that I would try the mg's on for fit and if I could live with them, get them painted and live with the missmatch. When I first started to fit them, I said, "No way are they going to fit",but the more I fooled with them, I realized that they would fit and and would give an OEM quality look. Anyway to make a long story short, I installed them. On my silver car, the black blends right in. You don't really notice them unless you are looking right at them. If you are, they have a nice fit and finish and look good. They are molded and not those thin little flappy things. This is on silver, I don't know how they would blend or stand out on other colors.

I am so glad I put these on. If you could see the amount of stuff it saves from being thrown up on your car, it would make you sick. Now when I run through some gravel . sand, road kill or whatever, I don't get that tight feeling in my stomach thinking about what it is doing to my paint. If anybody is thinking about doing this, there is a trick to getting the right fit so I would be glad to pass along a few tips. I'll try to get a pic posted.
Mash

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Mash:

Please do not forget the tips. I did not spend any time trying to get my rears to fit well. If the replacements show up I'd like to get them on.:)

I'd be thankful for any help you can give.:yeadog: :yeadog:

I thought the guards look nice if I can get em on right like you aparently did.

Thanks, Terry :z:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
3-M

02ZO6 said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't do it.:eek:

Not to take anything from vendors but I have seen a clear removable plastic from 3M that goes on and off easily.
My Experience;
Had mudflaps on my 95LT1, was just o.k But, during delievery of Z, had 3-M installed by dealer, and its Great. Pkg. comes with enough to cover the whole front end, down at bottoms of quarter panels, rear deck lid landing, and doors. If you are pitting wheel wells, bet the front is getting a little too...
Looks clean, polishes, saves the PAINT! Cost is a little much, but cheap when thinking about re-paints. Paid about 1k.
One last thing, mudflaps are a dated thing of the past, as this is the going jessie.
One draw back, when waxing, where the film stops, a fine line of residue has to be carefully removed by the way of cloth/nylon brush...Although can be good thrapy...
Best to remove film when cold, and cannot be reused.

:lol:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey MASH, If your having problems with scraping your wheels on the curb..., I hear Pep Boys keep 'CURB FEELERS" in stock.

Just kidding! Let us see some pics of the final installation.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts