Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was at the Autobahn Country Club. This venue has 2 tracks, which can be combined. They rent it out for races, etc.(beats the many multi $k membership :eek:o: for me!) We were on the North Circuit.

Unlike my first race weekend, I escaped without damage. :) I really did not drive well, though :cry: . I was 8 out of 10 overall, and 4th of 4 in ASR. New track, but it was new to most eveyone else, too. My Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, are mediocre at best. My trans stuck in gear for half a lap. I hadn't turned my cooler on, when I did it unstuck. Other than that, I have no excuses. :blush:

I really am re-learning as racing wheel to wheel is so different from time trials and lapping days. I was driving my mirrors, and a little gun-shy given the fact I was punted :cen: by a poor (he was then banned) driver my first weekend.

My wife and 2 boys came along, and a friend and his wife came to check me out, so that was good. I just need to keep at it (that's what I am telling myself :-? )

·
Registered
891 Posts
Congratulations! Did you get any track time at the circuit before the race?

I ran the MCSCC TT/AX/"Time Attack" on Saturday. I thought I would have an unfair advantage over my competitors because I did about 2-3 hours of track time with CAROC and Michigan Autocross Group on the north circuit this spring. WRONG!!! Everyone else did pretty much same thing with other clubs.

Our club is hosting the August 20-21 TT/W2W event at Blackhawk. Are you planning on racing that weekend? I usually work a corner for the W2W race on Sunday.

What tire did you run prior to switching to the Michelin PSC?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
UstaB-GS549 said:
Did you get any track time at the circuit before the race?

Our club is hosting the August 20-21 TT/W2W event at Blackhawk. Are you planning on racing that weekend?

What tire did you run prior to switching to the Michelin PSC?
Replies in order...

There's always practice and qualifying sessions, but that was it for my prep.

I am planning on all the rest of the races, including the 8/22.

I ran Toyo proxes RA1's in the past, which, so far, I like better.

I'll be looking for you at upcoming events.... :jammin:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Congrats on getting another race safely under your belt. Don't be disappointed with the results. It is not easy to learn a new track, learn to race, etc all at once. Don't discount the importance of practice days. Seat time is key to getting faster.

Hope you don't have a tranny problem. Tranny cooler shouldn't make a difference until well into the race.

What type of tires can you run? Goodyear GS-CS, Hoosier R3S04 and Kumho V710 will walk over the Toyo RA1 and Michelin PSC. They don't last long though...

How does your car handle? A good alignment and corner balancing is also worth lots of time per lap. It all adds up to making a difference in your lap times.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey Brad - thanks for the comments.

I have a good amount of seat time. Did 16 lapping days and time trials last year since I got the Z. Of course, had never been to this track though.

What I'm finding is that races are totally different for me than the lapping days and time trials.

In terms of the trans, I hope it's OK as well, it was odd.

Tire wise I can run whatever, and I may be going to Hoosiers soon (probably after this set of PSCs is done). I figure since I have 2 sets of wheels now, I'll probably have RA1s as a rain / practice tire, and use the Hoosiers for racing. We'll see.

I've gotten alignment done, but not corner weights. How is that done, and does it take into account the driver in the car?

Aaron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts