Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my first DE in my 02 Z06 I installed new NAPA brake rotors and Cobalt VR race spec pads along with a change to Motol 600 brake fluid. The brakes worked wonderfully with good stopping and no fade. When I had the car into the dealer for service ( new transmission, but that ils another story) the technition, who is very knowledgable about corvettes, indicated that my rotors were shot. The outer edge had turned blue and he said that the temper had gone out of the metal and they were unsafe to use. My question is, is this true and if so is it the result of a cheap starting product ( NAPA oems) or is this a problem with the system over heating. I have to assume that because the brakes never faded all the components except the rotors were happy with temps generated. Is blueing of the rotors as serious as my tech indicated.

MIke

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Did you bed the pads/rotors prior to your track event? Mine get kind of blue, but its the cracks that are the problem. If you don't see any cracks, I'd probably still use them. Otherwise to play it safe, get 4 new ones and keep those as track spares. ;)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
raddad43 said:
For my first DE in my 02 Z06 I installed new NAPA brake rotors and Cobalt VR race spec pads along with a change to Motol 600 brake fluid. The brakes worked wonderfully with good stopping and no fade. When I had the car into the dealer for service ( new transmission, but that ils another story) the technition, who is very knowledgable about corvettes, indicated that my rotors were shot. The outer edge had turned blue and he said that the temper had gone out of the metal and they were unsafe to use. My question is, is this true and if so is it the result of a cheap starting product ( NAPA oems) or is this a problem with the system over heating. I have to assume that because the brakes never faded all the components except the rotors were happy with temps generated. Is blueing of the rotors as serious as my tech indicated.

MIke
He is on commission. Tell him to put down the CRACK PIPE. They are fine as long as they don't have cracks. Small spyder cracks are also OK. Mine turn red hot and they are fine.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
There is a good tutorial, Troubleshooting guide and FAQ on rotors at:

www.frozenrotors.com

If your using the cheap rotors you should consider them disposable.

If you are considering the cheap rotors for the track then you should look at the thread in the Racing Forum that shows what happens when a rotor explodes. This happened recently at Road Atlanta and ended up taking out the whole left side of the car, put it into the barrier and left the driver unconscious for 5 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts