Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer called me on Tuesday and told me that they got the OK for the Ring replacement on my 01. I am using a quart about every 800-1000 miles, and I do not drive the car in the high rpm, low load manner in which they claim causes the problem. This makes me think that it would be much worse if I did drive it that way.

I worry about the oil loss fouling some other part of the engine. The dealership has someone who is a Corvette Mechanic (used to own his own Corvette shop), and I did have a very brief discussion with him about this in which he stated " I wouldn't let anyone take this engine apart, not even me". Needless to say this does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about having the work done here.

I plan on going in and talking to the service rep and the mechanic about the job, but am unsure what I should be looking for and asking during this conversation to make me feel comfortable that my car will be OK.

Any and all help is welcome and appreciated. I know I need to discuss the amount of time this job takes vs. what the General will be paying the mechanic for, but what else should I ask about?

I live in Billerica, MA and the dealership is Chevy of Lowell, any suggestions on other mechanics/dealerships where there is a high comfort level are also welcome.

Thanks in Advance
Mark

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI Mark,
Checked on my sources, I cannot find anyone else who is willing to do this job. Even my friend has a backlog, so she couldnt do it.
Honestly, I think that you will be fine.
Let us know if we can help further, c4c5

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Is a partial engine a possability??? Short block/long block factory assembled verses a complete rebuild????

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the partial engine option is only if the ring replacement fails to fix the problem...

But it is worth asking about...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had the rings replaced on my 2001 Coupe last week, took 3 days and all looks well so far. I fully trust the engine mechanics at Moritz Chevrolet here in Ft. Worth so I will not change my driving habits one bit. I will say this, after about 100 miles on the new rings, there is not one bit of black residue on the Corsa exhaust tips, sure as hell would have been before the ring replacement.

And Mary's 2002 Z06 now has 1,200 miles and still on the full mark, great!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts