Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: This is a bit of rant. I still love both my C5s and wouldn't trade them in yet, but if the quality problems continue to get worse, I'll start getting seriously pissed.

I have a 99 HT and an 01 Z06, and today my Z06's DIC just suddenly stopped working. I've only got 5K miles on this car. I realize now how much I've come to rely on my DIC as an indicator of what's going on inside my car. I feel a bit blinded.

99 Hardtop: Had the parking brake adjusted 4 times by 3 different dealers, and it still won't hold. Driver side window motor broke at 30K miles. Drinks lots of oil. Key fob stopped working at 30K miles (it wasn't the battery). Antena came loose (simple to tighten). Plastic door light covers rattle with any serious music.

01 Z06: Drinks lots of oil. Oil temperature recently has been getting to 230 without being driven too hard and with outside tmperature in the 60's; I think this means something could be wrong, but I'll have a hell of a time getting anyone to fix this. Seat belt actuator broke. And today my DIC stopped working (it's totally blank). Plastic door light covers rattle with any serious music.

I haven't had anywhere near this number of problems with any of my previous sports cars, or non sports cars.

On the positive side, my 99 HT is a cherry of a car in terms of performance, and it just seems to be far superior to any other non-Z06 C5 I've ever driven. GM just turned this one out above average. I don't have any objective numbers (I should G-Tech it), but it just feels great by comparison. If I ever resell this car (or trade it in for an 02 Z06), I'll need to somehow factor in this "cherriness" into the price.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Well I got flamed before and will probably again but here it goes, I really like my Vette but after spending time driving my M5 you can really see the quality difference. I know my Vette costs 17k less than my M5 did, and that is a big difference but if you looked at the quality difference it's not even close in fit and finish. I am not a Euro car person although I have owned a turbo Porsche and a 550 Ferrari, but you can not compare a car that costs 2-5 times what a Vette does, but the M5 is at least in the ball park price wise, remember I did say ball park;) This is my 5th Vette and I will probably always have one because it is the best bang for the buck, no question about that and it's made in the USA which is important to a Notzie like myself. There are some quality issues that I wish GM would take care of, I think we can all admit that the sound system in a Vette is about as poor as it gets, the headlights are 1960 technogly, ok I will stop. As I said I like my Vette I just keep wishing GM would do a little better job, but at least it's no a Ford, sorry Frank./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts