Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I have always been an F-body guy but decided to move on. My car is currently on E-bay and the reserve is met. Well, it doesnt have a reserve. I have the opportunity to purchase a 01 Z-06 for around 25k its silver with 40k miles. Its supposed to be in excellent condition. Now for the questions.
Is the 01 the 405 hp. or 385hp?
Price sound about right?
Was H.U.D an option in 01?
Thats about it for now. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Droptopws6 said:
First I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I have always been an F-body guy but decided to move on. My car is currently on E-bay and the reserve is met. Well, it doesnt have a reserve. I have the opportunity to purchase a 01 Z-06 for around 25k its silver with 40k miles. Its supposed to be in excellent condition. Now for the questions.
Is the 01 the 405 hp. or 385hp?
Price sound about right?
Was H.U.D an option in 01?
Thats about it for now. Thanks in advance for any input.
Go easy on you? Welcome to the site! Your quoted 01 price is ok check kelly blue book or edmonds and enter your zip code, and you should get a pretty close estimate on the pricing. The 01's did not come with HUD but you can install if you are so inclined. 01's were rated at 385. They have a range just like 02's and up. Do some searching on here, and you will find plenty to read up on. Good luck on your Z06! :z:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Im going to look at it today. Its on a very reputable lot that only sells pristine cars. Im pretty excited to say the least.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Droptopws6 said:
Im pretty excited to say the least.
Yeah, I'll just bet. I was so excited before I bought mine I nearly drove everyone crazy. And then after I got it, I was even worse. :z:
Welcome!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Good luck with the Z if you get it. You will never want to drive another f-body again!

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z: and good luck on the Z buy.
As Don said in post # 2 ... lots of info in discussion threads here available thru search.
You should get the history on the car.
Be aware that you will read about some '01's having excessive oil consumption problems ... some problems went away, some had rework to correct.
You new buy may be fine, but if you don't know about this ahead of time it might raise your anxiety level if you first buy and then find out about it ...
enjoy! :jammin:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Wecome to the site. :z: I hope the deal works out on the Z.You're gonna love that car and never miss the F-body at all.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Here are some/most of the differences

differences between 2001 & 2002 & up:
1. The LS6 engine standard in the Z06 increased from 385 to 405 horsepower. Torque increased from 385 to 400 lb-ft.
2. Front fender badges for Z06 models included the 405 HP designation.
3. LS6 exhaust back pressure was reduced by 16%
4. Cam shaft was redesigned resulting in increased lift and a 5% increase in air flow
5. Valve spring material composition was changed to increase seat load by 14%.
6. LS6 intake and exhaust valves were a new, lighter design.
7. The valvetrain weight was reduced by 0.81 pounds, which improved valve seating at high rpm.
8.Airflow over the LS6 MAF sensor was increased by removing gridwork
9. MAF software was recalibrated
10. LS6 aircleaner housing had a larger intake
11. Wheels looked the same BUT they were cast spun instead of forged for a weight savings of 1.3 pounds per car
12. rear shock valving was changed
13. Improved clutch
14. Ticker front anti-sway bar
15. New front brake pads
16. HUD was standard

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey fellow Ohio dude,

Welcome to the forum and regardless of what these other geezers say, quicksilver is the best color!

:p

John.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
DELLZ06 said:
Hey fellow Ohio dude,

Welcome to the forum and regardless of what these other geezers say, quicksilver is the best color!

:p

John.
Hey who you calling geezer? I resemble I mean resent that remark! :D

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Despite all the problems that us 2001 Z06ers could be faced with, non is as frustrating as the costantly self-balding tyres ;)

Welcome aboard.

With 40,000 miles on the car, there is a good chance that if the majority of the miles were put on the car before the 3/36K warranty expired that most of the niggly-nagging issues would have been adressed.

The list is long - so I won't scare you with it until after you have taken delivery of the beast :p

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Good luck with your purchase. Gonna luv driving a Z!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
01's also had a piston ring issue and were major oil consumer's, like a quart every 500-1k miles....Ask the previous owner how often his "low oil" light came on and see what his reaction is....

If you can fork out another $5-10k I would wait and see if you can get your hands on an 03 or later Z. They have steel shift forks instead of the alum. in the 01 and 02's that some people usually end up having issues with that drive their car hard.

The hud is incredibly useful, I love it. I had a harlan shift light in my f-body and when I first got the Z I considered it until I realized that you can use the hud to shift and keep your eyes on the road. At redline "shift" appears by the RPM's on the HUD. I never used the tach to shift again after I got used to the HUD.

Youll love the step up to the Z, I had a 98 TA and a 94 Z28 before this so Im an f body guy too. My TA was pretty stout, 500 rwhp via a Vortech, cam, and mac mid lengths. Moser 12 bolt, Mcleod street twin, PA racing k-member/A arms, bilsteins and LG springs at four corners. AFS ZR1 replicas (17x11-17x9.5)

Pulled .94 G on the "skidpad" according to G tech. And an [email protected] mph on 315's.

The Z is incredibly fast for its rated HP, I was running 12.60's at 113 mph with a vararam intake, while my TA with 445 rwhp was running 12.7's at 112 mph....Now with H/C its running as fast as my TA was with 415 rwhp/410 rwtq vs 500 rwhp/430rwtq...Its the gearing, weight and powerband.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Welcome! Enjoy the car when you get it...its not just a car per say, it a MACHINE! Congrats n yoru 1st post!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Welcome to the club! :cheers: Anything you need to know about a Z is on here, just ask or do a search. When you get your Z you'll be hooked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the great info. Maybe I should wait till spring and save more loot for an 03 or newer. I stopped by the dealer to see the car before he had it detailed. The price is actually 27,400 not 25,000 it needed 4 tires. You could tell it was a daily driver but was still pretty clean,the seats werent worn and the wheels looked real nice. I dont think I want to spend that much on an 01. My aution on my f-body closes in 3 hours so we shall see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts