1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend was the big one! Midwest Council / Blackhawk Farms

Saturday W2W school:
1) Great instructors
2) So cool to finally pass, prior to / into turns (unlike straights only in DEs with the point by)
3) Lost radiator petcock :jawdrop: , lost water, ended first practice early
4) Got petcock at local parts store :thumb: , missed only one session
5) Got hit in fourth session- not super major damage (cosmetic, but :cen: - $3k?
a) other party was guilty per my instructor, stewards
b) I stayed calm :cool:
6) I won practice race - started last, picked way through (slower cars) field :ity:
7) I got awarded my novice license :cheers:
8) Guy who hit me not awarded license :D , turns out to be retread, may be banned from now on - 3rd strike and you are out?

Sunday Race:
1) My cousin drives my son up, they join me :)
a) nice to have a crew
b) I put them to work :pp: rubbing out that jackass's tire marks (from yesterday)
2) In "Big Bore" group / race - GT1, GT2, ASR (my class), AGS, ITGT
3) 16 entries, 4 in ASR
4) Practice was cool, those GT1s are fast!! :eyes:
5) Qualifiying
a) 10 of 14 (2 DNS qual), 3 of 4 in class
b) 120.5's consistent - not too bad at BFR, best time potential with simliar car I believe is around 1:17-1:18
6) Race
a) 30 minutes
b) OK start
c) Passed an ITGT BMW, started putting distance on him
d) Got lapped by a couple of GT1s 10 laps or so in
e) Tires (last years RA1s), brakes (75% pad at start of weekend), driver started getting ragged / tired
f) ITGT BMW comes back
g) BMW takes me in last turn
h) I re-take him on last straight :sneaky:
i) I finished!
j) They hand me a checkered for a victory lap
i) I won? :-?
ii) I won! :blush:
iii) Turns out all the rest of the ASRs DNFed!
7) We go home tired, poorer, a little disappointed in the incident, happy about the win, and making it through :jammin:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Oh, Aaron, it is only beginning!

You will find yourself getting faster and faster everytime out. It is just a natural progression. And it is soooo addicting.

Tell us more. In car camera shots? C'mon, man, I need a fix!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey David -

No in car camera (yet).

More on the incident:
This guys has a 72 Vette with 750HP, 14 inch rear slicks. He can gallop down the straight but I'm on him in turns. I pass him - clean, classic, inside pass (turn 6 at BFR http://www.blackhawkfarms.com/ . I guess he gets mad. Maybe its HHS (high horsepower syndrome). Anyway, at the end of the longest straight (Turn 1), I'm 2 car lengths ahead of him, I turn in, he's going way too fast, locks up brakes, gets squirrely, bangs into right rear,crawls down the right side of my car. My instructor was observing turn 1, tells me I'm absolutely not at fault. Stewards (post incident report) say the same. Turns out to be a 3 time loser in terms of significant at fault incidents. One guy described his run in with him, it made mine seem minor. Only prevention from a lifetime ban would be servere politicking.

My reaction:
Although I have been known to have a temper tantrum or two, I remained calm. I'm 43 now... I expect the unexpected, I expect things not to go right, I tends to shrug it off and keep going.....My instructor gives me props, I go out for last session, win the practice race, eveyone seems uplifted by it all.

These GT1 cars:
My instructor rolls out in a brand new totally hand built Corvette silhouette GT1! Ridiculously awesome car...$200k plus

The MWC gang:
So supportive, helpful. Got help on the petcock replacement issue. Instructor and wife offers me to stay at their place. Great group.

The race:
Amazing how tiring it was. Probably the limited sleep Friday night and Saturday night and all the rest of the excitement wore me out. But I perservered. I did well in passing and being passed. When I had to use HP on the BMW at the end, I felt (a little) guilty.

The car / mods for season:
The engine oil cooler, trans oil cooler worked to perfection. I enjoyed the racing seat. Need the T1 bars, fresh tires, and can do more if I want in ASR.

May be able to post some pics soon....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My instructor rolls out in a brand new totally hand built Corvette silhouette GT1! Ridiculously awesome car...$200k plus
What was your instructors name? I might know him!

Maybe its HHS (high horsepower syndrome).
That's funny, 'cause the Showroom Stock racers say that about us T1 guys.

He can gallop down the straight but I'm on him in turns.
I have had to deal with one or two ancient cars that used to run the old SCCA A or B Production classes but are now GT1 cars. These cars are more suited for Vintage racing, but someone wants to still race in SCCA. The problem is that they get in the way of some good races. Last June Andrew Aquilante and I are locked in a titanic struggle for most of the race when we lap a old GT1 C3 Vette. (repeat lap!). He gets between AJ and I and there is NO WAY I was going to catch back up. My race was "ruined" because of that old car. And this was a SCCA National race!

Oh well. it only happened once or twice.

If your guy can't race clean, then don't let him on the track again.

·
Registered
891 Posts
1:20's for a relatively stock car is pretty quick. Most cars in the teens are GT1 & Formula cars running on fresh slicks.

I enjoyed your account of Council School & W2W race. Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
awesome! congrats! a friend of mine just did his first w2w race this weekend as well, his was at RA with NASA.

btw, MWFB has a track day at RA this weekend - are you going?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, not going to be there. They do run great events, I have been to a number of them. If you go, enjoy, and if you keep lap times, tell me / this forum how you did.

RA is beyond awesome.....best track in the country, potentially. :thumb:

·
Registered
385 Posts
RA is beyond awesome.....best track in the country, :thumb:

Agreed

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UstaB-GS549 said:
1:20's for a relatively stock car is pretty quick. Most cars in the teens are GT1 & Formula cars running on fresh slicks.

I enjoyed your account of Council School & W2W race. Thanks!
Thanks for the comments - do you do track events? noticed your an Illinoisan. I don't remember seeing a blue Z last year at the numerous events I attended......great opportunity with BFR, Gin, RA, Putnam, Grattan, Gateway, MO...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mafia said:
awesome! congrats! a friend of mine just did his first w2w race this weekend as well, his was at RA with NASA.
What class in NASA did he do? VVC? In the past that's been not highly populated....wondering if a few more folks are starting to come out....

·
Registered
891 Posts
99cobra:

I was at BFR & RA last fall with CAROC, GingerMan for evening track time a few times & most of the MCSCC timetrials events. My car has black GS wheels on it most of the time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
99cobra said:
What class in NASA did he do? VVC? In the past that's been not highly populated....wondering if a few more folks are starting to come out....
Not sure what class, he races a Porsche if that helps. BTW, how do I find out about open track days at BHF? I'd like to go there but not for auto-x or whatever that standing start one lap thing is called that MWC does.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Not sure what class, he races a Porsche if that helps. BTW, how do I find out about open track days at BHF? I'd like to go there but not for auto-x or whatever that standing start one lap thing is called that MWC does.
Go to www.blackhawkfarms.com and look at the schedule. You should be able to find something.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Aaron,

I was thinnking about you and your first race while playing a quick nine holes of golf today...

if you stick with it and race fairly often, next year you will be absolutely be amazed at how much faster you are on the track. And what will be even more amazing is that you will feel like you are not even trying hard.

This first year will be full of steps forward and backward. That is a normal progression. Keep on working at it and you will start to take 3 steps forward and only 1 back.

It is soooo cool. You will love it more and more.

True story. Last year, Freddy Baker (Porsche GT3 T1 driver who has been doing this a LONG time) says to me, almost like he is thinking outload, "man, I love racing." He's been doing it for 25+ years...it must be a blast!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey David. Nice day for it.

I'm sure I'll get better at passing, positiong, starting, etc. I'm not so sure about raw times, as I qualified almost at the same times as I lapped last year at BFR.

I do think I can get better at RA, Gingerman, etc.

I'm in the process of finding someone to do my bodywork, then I need to do my brakes, the ususal stuff, etc. but I have a while til the next race, probably will do a lapping day in between.

The next MWC race is at the Milwaukee Mile. It's an oval with an infield, I'm going to work a corner (requirement for license), and use this one as the one I skip. Those concrete walls on the oval are a bit much. I did a lapping day there last year with PCA, which was fun, but a race? :jawdrop:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Aaron,
Welcome to the club and congrats on the license and the win!!!

Trust me when I say this, in car camera is well worth the money. I race once and then watch my in car dozens of times... gives me more bang for the buck on my track time, plus it really helps me learn the track to watch the video at night between days, or before going back to a track I have been to in the past. :cheers:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Subdriver said:
Aaron,
Welcome to the club and congrats on the license and the win!!!

Trust me when I say this, in car camera is well worth the money. I race once and then watch my in car dozens of times... gives me more bang for the buck on my track time, plus it really helps me learn the track to watch the video at night between days, or before going back to a track I have been to in the past. :cheers:
Hey Brad - thanks for the comments. It's on my shopping list indeed. It would have been good for the first race, too, but :mah: I could have documented the incident, later, I was following a guy who started smoking, I hung back, he spun, etc., etc., not to mention the overall review, and lessons. So lets see, camera mount, camera, fix the damage, brake pads and rotors, tires, my AMSOIL order, we all must be :screwy: Nah, it's just too :coo:

·
Registered
149 Posts
99cobra said:
No, not going to be there. They do run great events, I have been to a number of them. If you go, enjoy, and if you keep lap times, tell me / this forum how you did.

RA is beyond awesome.....best track in the country, potentially. :thumb:
Well I'm back from RA. First of all we got really lucky with the weather - sunny and warm, just about perfect. Forcast called for rain but it only rained on Saturday night, worked out great!

Z06 is a fast car, that's for sure. I really had to adjust my driving style from the lighter and slower S2000. Especially braking part. The first session I started to push the car brakes faded after 3 laps or so and I got a warning on the oil temp. Seemed kind of dissapointing.

Bled the brakes, went out again braking a bit earlier and brakes worked better. Ended up running 2:35.5 with the wife as passenger and a bit of a screw up in 5, so there was more room.

My front brake pads needed to be replaced after 1 day at Gingerman and 1 day at RA. I wonder if that's normal wear on the Z06? Rears were fine.

Second day brakes felt much better on new pads, but I had trouble dialing in tire pressure. I was running all day with passengers so I didn't get to improve on my 2:35.5, but came close.

I was also trying to figure out whether it's faster to use the curbs or not. In the end I think it's faster to use just a little bit of the curb not the whole thing at least in my car (Toyo Ra1s) except for a couple of corners.

Last session of the day I went out by myself on low fuel to try to get some quick laps in. Car felt great and I felt that I was going faster than before but unfortunately my laptimer didn't work so I'll never know if I actually did improve my laptimes. Sure felt like a 2:34 lap but we all know how unreliable this type of timing is;).

Overall car ran great, I may need to put the ducts in to keep the brakes from fading. Oil temps stayed below 300 so I think I can get by w/o the cooler for now but with frequent oil changes and high quality synthetic.

FWIW, my best in S2k was 2:44.5 so Z06 is 9 seconds/lap quicker at RA. At G'man I'm about 5 sec/lap quicker. I'm sure my laptimes will keep dropping as I get more seat tiem.\

Drew

P.S. I have stock '04 z06 + Toyo RA1's, Cobalt VRs, ATE blue, and a little extra camber over stock.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Bled the brakes, went out again braking a bit earlier and brakes worked better. Ended up running 2:35.5 with the wife as passenger and a bit of a screw up in 5, so there was more room.
Not sure what to say about this. 2:35 at RA is FAST in a stock Z06. Thats the nice part.

What were you thinking taking a passenger at that speed, especially after having problems with your brakes?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts