Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a dealer today to look at a new C6 and it really made me appreciate what I already have with my 03 ZO6. First of all I was very uneasy about swapping a ZO6 for a standard C6 even though it had the Z51 and six speed. Fundementally I came to realize I just didn't like the C6. The car was loaded and the price was not shocking at $50,652 first quote from the dealer but I found the changes to be either poorly engineered or unnecessary.

This was one of a few times I went to a dealer intending to buy a new car and left happier with what I already own. Now I seriously question the C6 ZO6 with it's non-distinctive appearance and most of the same minor leauge engineering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bills03z said:
Now I seriously question the C6 ZO6 with most of the same minor leauge engineering.
I'm a little confused, please expand on your definition of "minor league engineering" What should they have done to make the new Z06 a "major league" player? Rumor is...it's making real good time over the C5 Z06 on the track. :coo:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, I thoroughly looked over the one at a car show yesterday, and I felt the same way. Wasn't impressed one bit, and neither were many other corvette owners that were there. Many people expressed disappointment in it.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Several of us are disappointed, not in the base C6 as we won't buy one, but in the C6 Z06, yes, great improvements as far as HP, torque, etc., but when paying that kind of money, should be a body style that sets it apart.

I will buy one but would have preferred something that wouldn't be easily confused with a regular C6.

Oh well, I will buy one anyway, it was either that or a new Viper coupe but everyone says the Viper is not a daily driver.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I saw the new Z06 at the NEW YORKJ auto show a few days ago and I really liked it! My grand mother was with me and really loved it! All kidding aside I think seeing it in person will change many minds,the huge rubber on the rears,huge disks and rotors, flared fenders, just looking at it from head on looks mean! As far as the price that may change a few minds but I think it will be cheaper than many are guessing :yeadog:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The regular C6 is just that Regular, The General tried to improve on the C5 and failed to do so and production numbers IMO are showing that. :roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
IT LL GO...you just nailed it. I am disappointed in it being called a C6. I believe the ONLY reason for the exposed headlights is to be the major diffrence to keep folks from noticing that the car is a freshend and refined up C5. There were more dramatic changes in the C3 years to justify a new C# designation. I think the GM folks wasted a C# on this car, and we expected more of a change than a makeover. It is a Vette, I appreciate it for that...but dont think there is enough there to make it a whole new generation. :z:

·
Registered
45 Posts
After driving both the c6 and z06, I believe that the c6 is a far better looking car, better feeling transmission, engine feels just as good, and a much better overall car for day to day driving. I do not understand why there is so much hate for the car. The designers did an excellent job with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
IT L GO said:
The regular C6 is just that Regular, The General tried to improve on the C5 and failed to do so and production numbers IMO are showing that. :roll:

If you think they failed to improve on the c5 you are sadly mistaken...there is nowhere that a c5 even comes close to a c6 in anything from performance to interior

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Why buy a C6 when you know that the C5 Z06 looks better. If GM came out with the C6 vette first and then improved its looks with the C5 sales would be zooming. If you want more power for your C5 Z06 add some power enhancers. If that dosen't convince you that your C5 Z06 is a keeper then do the trade in math ..........along with the sales tax and license fees etc.

·
Registered
412 Posts
ride21 said:
Rumor is...it's making real good time over the C5 Z06 on the track. :coo:
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

BS Prove it with posted lap-times!

liar with 3 posts...

PROFANITY EDITED OUT BY GNX GUY

(edit: GNX, I apologize...)

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
After enjoying 4 different new C5's, including two Z06's, I'm completely satisfied with my Z-51 C6.

Just returned from a 3,000 mile trip to Florida..no problems, no complaints. :thumb:

Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
[syko.xero] said:
I do not understand why there is so much hate for the car.
The hate comes from the complete and total disappointment in how the car looks; it looks tame and mundane, and is anything but inspiring... WTF were the C6 stylists/hackers thinking???

Where are the muscles? The C6 looks like a 98-pound weakling!

The designers did an excellent job with it.
I agree the chassis and powertrain engineers did an OUTSTANDING job with the car.

However, the stylists dropped the ball big-time, and deserve to get their asses kicked by the chassis and powertrain engineers for wrapping their masterpiece with such PATHETIC looking styling...

I can care less about a .28 coefficient of drag (..cd) if the car looks ...UGLY! On the other hand, give me a car with a .40 cd which looks beautiful and muscular like the GTS Viper. Or give me a car with a .39 cd which looks like the Porsche Carrera GT...

I think the stylists were way too obsessed with meeting a engineering/design criteria of a .28 cd, and in the process, completely ignored what Corvette enthusiasts REALLY wanted: a beautiful, agressive, intimidating looking car!

First and foremost, start with a beautiful, agressive looking design with no thought given whatsoever to a target cd. Only then, tweak it to clean it up aerodynamically, but not at the expense of it's looks; if it ends up having a .40 cd, so be it.

The bottom line is, I can care less whether the cd is .28 or .40 while crusing down the road (..or doing a weekend DE), but I do care passionately on how the car looks, and why I won't be buying a C6.

Again, who cares about a .28 cd if the car ends up looking like a 98-pound weakling????

It looks like the Cobalt can kick sand in it's goofy smiley-friendly-face and get away with it; where are it's muscles??

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
bills03z said:
Now I seriously question the C6 ZO6 with it's non-distinctive appearance and most of the same minor leauge engineering.
:crazy:

Ummm...Lets see...

427 cid Aluminum C5R blueprinted block
500+HP , 475+ tq
Aluminum block w/104.8mm bores & pressed-in liners
Forged steel crankshaft with 101.6mm stroke
6-bolt forged steel main bearing caps
Titanium connecting rods
Cast Eutectic aluminum flat-top pistons
Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum heads w/ 70cc chambers
56mm titanium intake valves
41mm sodium-filled exhaust valves
11.0:1 compression ratio
Composite manifold with 90mm single-bore throttle body
Camshaft with 15mm (.591-inch) lift
Dry-sump oiling system
7000rpm redline

Ya, "Minor" engineering there eh?..;)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
[syko.xero] said:
If you think they failed to improve on the c5 you are sadly mistaken...there is nowhere that a c5 even comes close to a c6 in anything from performance to interior

OH no!!! A new TROLL!

Playing hookey from school today? NOWHERE? :rofl:

·
Registered
412 Posts
[syko.xero] said:
naw I go to the U.S. Naval Academy...
That's doubtful judging by your complete lack of grammatical skills...

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a time and a place for writing well...and you can doubt me all you want as I sit snug and warm in the bowels of good ole Bancroft hall :cheers:

But perhaps I should just start using structure characteristic of formal papers and vocabulary unnecessarily difficult for online conversation?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts