Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought my 03Z about two months ago, 3667 miles and now has 6,500 miles. I learned a lot from everyone here, so armed with this knowledge, made my first trip to local dealer. First the good news: My warranty is good until June 06 because I bought a Certified used GM and they give you more warranty I think. I had a small leak at the driver side rear axle/diff and they fixed it. I told them about the ticking engine noise, and they said that is normal for an "aluminum roller engine"..now here's the strange one: While it was on the lift, they heard the infamous driveline clatter I read about so much. They want to keep it an extra day and check to see if "one of the throwout bearings might be bad. They said you have two of them, a front one and a rear" WHAT??? I told the guy that the noise does go away when I press in the clutch pedal, but come on, two throwout bearings, one at each end? Is this true? Does he mean an input shaft bearing at the diff?

Either way, they know I am a car fanatic. When I pulled into the service line, they put plastic on my seat and floor, and no one elses. Then they drove my car out of the line and parked it next to the building off to the side. Then while he was doing the paperwork, he said do you want it washed when they are done. He said I wouldn't if I were you, because they will probably leave some scratches. I was blown away by his truthfulness and told him with a grin, no my feelings won't be hurt if you don't wash my car! I asked them to also change the oil. When they changed my oil, the said it was awful black and kinda thin. They wondered if the dealer who sold me the car put the right oil in it (mind you it onl;y had 3,000 miles on it). So for $85 bucks, at least I know the right oil is in it. Had I not already asked for an oil change, I would have said they were conning me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speedratchet, is this pic showing it located in the clutch assembly in the bell housing? When the dealer said you have one in the rear too, I had never heard of this before?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, so it does look like there are two. I hope they can fix that clatter at idle in neutral--it's embarassing at signals!.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
firsttimevette said:
Speedratchet, is this pic showing it located in the clutch assembly in the bell housing? When the dealer said you have one in the rear too, I had never heard of this before?
There's just one.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
When I pulled into the service line, they put plastic on my seat and floor, and no one elses.
I have yet to see a dealership that didn't do this to all vehicles.

Then while he was doing the paperwork, he said do you want it washed when they are done. He said I wouldn't if I were you, because they will probably leave some scratches. I was blown away by his truthfulness and told him with a grin, no my feelings won't be hurt if you don't wash my car!
Common sense should tell you not to let some flunky touch your paint.

I asked them to also change the oil. When they changed my oil, the said it was awful black and kinda thin. They wondered if the dealer who sold me the car put the right oil in it (mind you it only had 3,000 miles on it). So for $85 bucks, at least I know the right oil is in it.
First big mistake, as you do NOT know they put the right oil in it and at $85, you over paid. Changing your own oil is one of the few simple things you can do to your car. And it only takes 30 minutes to complete.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Speedratchet said:
Here is a picture of the throwout bearing as I know it.

Tom, this illustration depicts the same thing I saw on one of the clutch parts with my kit. It has a long hose attached to it as well. So, are you saying there is just one? Or this illustration shows that there are two throwout (release) bearings? You mentioned one at the end of the torque tube. Is that the same one that shoul dbe changed out while doing a clutch?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Huh...interesting. I just broke 5,000 on my '02 (had 500 on it when I bought it Dec 2004) and I have the same "driveline clatter". It also goes away when I depress the clutch. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order for some warranty work. I also have the infamous O2 sensor rattle so I will have that taken care of as well. I have yet to check the rear diff leak, but from what I have read here it is fairly common.

Good move on skipping on the dealership wash. My brother was a BMW tech at a dealership in Boston for 3 years. Whenever I'd go up there for the weekend I'd meet him at the dealership. I was amazed at how in 15 min (sometimes less) the car washers would have a car in and out of their wash bay. No thanks!!!

Pat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts