Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was walking around the Z06 on friday in the garage. The left rear tire was flat. I tried to put some air in it and found the hole right near the middle. Thank god it happened at home and not on the road. I jacked the rear of the car up and put it on stands till I was able to get the tire looked at on saturday. Called a few places and they said bring it in for a look. Also called the newer large Chevy house up the road and they said all we do is plugs.

First stop was kaufman tire (goodyear seller) the guy was worried about damaging the wheel. I said thank you for your honesty! He called the Goodyear garage and they said they could do it.

Goodyear garage: Walked into the garage with the tire and they said Jim could do it. I asked to talk to him and they said he was busy, but would get to it. They told me to go get it "wrote up" I said don't touch the tire till I say so. The lady up front says $30 to patch it and $15 more for balance. I said hold on and went back to the garage and asked if they could mark the weight instead of balancing it. They said "We have got to balance it" I picked up the tire and left.

Local Good ole' Boy tire shop: This place was recommended to me by 2 other places that would not touch the tire. I want in and the boss said $18 and we don't need balance it, we can put the weight and the tire back where they were. I was scared to death. They had a bunch of old machines and the place was a dump. The boss pointed me to the guy that would do it. He came over and got the tire. I said' "Sir, can you patch this tire without scratching the rim?" He said "hell yes, no problem" I'm hoping hes right! Took him less than 5 mins and he is done with the patch and has it mounted back on the rim. Not even one scuff!! I go up front to pay and the boss says, "his is $18, no make it $11.50." I go back and get the tire and the guy who did the job is washing the soap (or whatever they use for a lube) off and asking me to look at it for any scratches. None at all! I give him $5 and I am happy and so was he.

So take your tire to that ahole goodyear store if you must, but ask around for the Good ole' boys!!!:cheers: :D

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
My Porsche had a rear flat once, the Porsche dealer told me they would not patch it and wanted to replace the rear tire for $450.00. I found a local shop and prayed for a flawless fix as yours. No problems, they fixed it for free and I tipped the guy $20.00 about the same as having the tire patched. And we lived happily ever after. :lol: Glad to hear your tire story was not a horror story. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
:) just because they are local doesn't mean they are idiots. I have had some VERY good luck with locals. They try to please you because their business depends on it! You need to search around a bit for a good shop, and when you find them, KEEP 'EM! Bill :cheers:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Sometimes locally owned shops are the best, my Dad owns one and they treat people well. Hard to get that at a chain or dealer sometimes.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The smaller shops are more interested in customer service. They would rather have fewer loyal customer then deal in high volume single time customers. I think that says alot for them.:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
gmblack3.... enjoyed your story! :lol:

I can relate with you totally on that one. :cheers:

Chalk one up for the independent tire dealer. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts