Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 3 dyno runs yesterday at R&D Dyno in Gardena, Ca (So. California). This is the place that Steve Cole and Halltech use. Darren, the owner is a very knowledgeable high performance engine builder, and a very nice person. I'd recommend him to anyone in the area.....

All 3 runs were very consistant. Best run(SAE corrected) was 367.3 hp @ 6,000 rpm (432 crank hp) and 363.2 lbs. Torque @ 5,000 rpm.

Hope for a few more ponies when Steve does some fine tuning on fuel/air mixture for me.....

Interesting tidbit.....we replaced the Grantelli 5% rich MAF with the stock MAF (unmodified), and it showed substanially more air flow on Steve's meter!! Did a before and after "seat of the pants" run, and I got a whole lot more wheelspin (traction control was on) going into second gear with the stock unit!! (When you have more hp, the traction control system can't keep up. It's set for stock hp.) When I first put the Grantelli on, I really noticed more acceleration. But it dropped off in a about a week. The PCM automatically starts adjusting out the 5% rich condition as soon as it detects it, according to Steve Cole!!

All of my mods have given me 47 more hp. I figured that if you divide each mods claimed hp increase in half and subtract 2 hp you'll have a more accurate real world figure. That being said, I would do it again!!

One last thing.....Steve Cole gave me a ride in his latest project car-a '01 Z with a Carroll Supercharger Kit(uses a Vortech unit)
that develops 480 rwhp(so far). That's 565 hp at the crank!! Talk about violent acceleration!! It literally through me back in the seat and pinned me there!! Oh my god, I gotta have this mod and pick up an extra 100+ horses!! Vortech will have a C5 kit at the SEMA show in Las Vegas at the end of October.

Any questions?!:cheers: :guiness: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I'm jealous guys to say the least... :p

I would love to hear about your Katech package.

Their stage II has my name all over it. :yeadog:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!!

RG,

The exhaust sounds were loud and powerful!! I have a partition and hole cover on mine(car cover stowed in the hole), and it lowers the noise level substantially inside my Z. The supercharged car, as you may have noticed, didn't have this noise reduction. I agree with Steve that it's a bit too loud for my tastes(However the guy who owns the car just loves the exhaust sounds of his car). I guess Steve and I are old farts!! I really prefer the sounds of my car, which are probabily just as loud as the project car when you're not in the car. I've got the TPIS headers, Random High Flow Cats, Bassani, and Corsa Indy's. My Z has a real deep and powerful rumble which gets progressively louder the more you put your foot into it. No resonance and stock quiet at cruise. I love the snap, crackle and pops on downshifting and deacceleration!! Also, I love the Corsa Pro tips, and get alot of compliments on the look:D I guess it boils down to personal taste:)

Agent Z06,

Katech is a good way to go for quality parts!! I was about to do it, but the Supercharged car has me taking a second look. It's bone stock except it has bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump, and heavy duty valve springs. AND, of course, the Supercharger. I've checked with Steve and a couple of other sources and they all tell me that if you're gonna put a Supercharger on your engine, you really don't need to do the heads and cam. The LS6 heads flow very well and the cam is also pretty good. At my level of mods, the dampner(Katech has the underdrive pulley), Stage II heads and Stage II Cam should get you close to 425rwhp. Add a Supercharger, and you'll get about 485 rwhp. HOWEVER, you'll get 480 rwhp using the stock heads, cam and pulley. So, the bottom line is $4,000.00 for 5 hp??!! That's the approx. cost to do the heads, cam and dampner. The upcoming Vortech kit will be close to $6,500.00, according to the fellow I talked to at Vortech.....that was his guesstimate. Vortech is located in Ventura, which is about a 45 minute drive from me, and they do installations. Guesstimate on the install is about $1,600.00 So, the total cost would be ABOUT $8,100.00.....I'm assuming the kit comes with the larger injectors, fuel pump, and valve spring kit. If not, the cost will go up.....

Since I'm definately going to do the Supercharger, I would appreciate any knowledable input.

Here's some websites:

www.vortechsuperchargers.com

www.carrollsupercharging.com

www.tradezone.com/vette/index.html

www.performancetechcenter.com/index3.htm

www.azspeed-marine.com/products/corvette/c5super.htm

Hope you enjoy these links

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ranger,

Our Corvette Club will have a track day soon, and I'll post my times!!

Manatee,

Is Vince in Florida?? 550 rwhp with 9lbs of boost?? I've seen his ads.....I'll check 'em out!! Thanks!!

Barry:guiness:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I had a 97 Mustang GT with a Vortech installed by Steeda.

Vortechs rock! Added 100 hp at its stock 6lb boost and didnt even have to worry about any special maintenance cause Vortech designs their kits around a platform very well.

If you goto the strips, you know how fast those Vorteched Mustangs are capable of with more boost.

Reliable as heck for most of its life. The SC did spin a bearing right before I traded it in for my Z06 2 years and 11 later. Partially my fault cause I wasnt keeping up with the cars normal scheduled maintenance but I think a testament how robust these systems are. I know the date cause when I checked my receipts I saw I had a THREE YEAR warranty which I think is amazing for a power-adder and I shipped it to Vortech and they had it back to me within a week.

The power comes on differently with a SC'd car than something like the Z06. The Z06 is a stump puller from low rpms to redline where the SC is docile below 4000 rpms then once the SC spools... WHAMMO! hold on cause redline comes quick and traction is a BIG problem. I can just imagine a SC Z06... A natural stump puller at low rpms then at 4000 rpms... :eek:

don

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don,

Thank you very much for your imput:D You confirm what I felt in Steve Coles Rocketship:D :eek: :D :eek: :guiness: :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts