Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad got me a GTech Pro for my birthday, so I took it out this morning for some fun. My only other time with a GTech (a friend's) gave me a best time of 4.55. I went to the same spot this morning and pulled an average of 4.35, best time was 4.29. I love it!
The launch technique that gave me the best runs was to hold the rpms at about 2100, drop the clutch and push the throttle to the floor pretty slowly. Anybody have any advice about a better way to launch?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Competition mode. AC and audio system off. Windows up. Tire pressure all around at 30 psi.

Try 2800 rpm.

Engage the clutch over the first 2 to 10 feet of movement depending on conditions. Go WOT ONLY once the tires are hooked.

Assuming you are on old blacktop and ambient outside temp is around 50, you ought to be able to launch leaving only about 10 feet of rubber.

Another key is on the 1st-2d shift. ease the throttle just enough to avoid a lot of wheel spin, which would hurt your time.

Just some suggestions. 4.29 actually is quite good.

Ranger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that next time out. In particular I need to work on my 1-2 shift, since I know that's slow. I was not in competition mode, but simply had the AH and TC turned off.

How much difference does having your windows up/down make? I had them down so that I could hear the tires better.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll keep working!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Windows down, in and of itself should not affect 0-60 time measurably. But having them up reduces distraction somewhat.

I find that what I'm after is developing the launch "touch" that's based on input from all yours senses. I can feel the tires spin in the steering wheel, clutch foot, and seat of the pant. Sight and sound help too. But the F1SC tires don't make much of a squeal when they spin.

I prefer Competition mode to AH/TC off because I want AH to intervene should the rear end get substantially out of line. Just some insurance that limits "the worst that could happen."

Two last things you probably already know. Be sure your oil is above 155 degrees (preferably above 170) before you do this launch practice. Also choose your spot wisely. John Law and John Q are pretty adept at recognizing and exploiting any pattern you might set as to where and when you practice.

Ranger
Current dyno results (SAE) 345hp 349tq

·
Registered
3 Posts
guys if you are getting 4.2 sec for 0-60 then why am I seeing 4.7 sec for Zo6 in the road and trek . and gm claims 4 sec flat, who do I believe, I am deciding which one to buy the coupe or Zo6, any comments or advise

thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
rohinton,

Welcome to the Forum.

0-60 and 1/4 mile ET are influenced directly by how well the car is launched. Car magazine testers typically don't get enough seat time to perfect the launch.

It's not really feasible to accurately measure 0-60 times without purchasing specialized equipment. But anyone can go to the drag strip and measure ETs.

In that setting there are plenty of Z06 owners who have beaten GM's published figure of 12.6 sec for the Z06. They're able to do this by getting real good at the launch and often by having good air that produces more power.

Handling, responsiveness, shear cornering grip also are key features of this well integrated, in-your-face Corvette.

Bottom line is variations in 0-60 times is a relatively minor distraction. Question is do you desire the Corvette that's targeted at the extreme enthusiast. If yes, then buy a Z06; if not, buy a coupe or convertible. Can't really lose either way.

Good luck with your decision.

Ranger

·
Registered
14 Posts
Generation X
I enjoyed your photos. You certainly like reflections!
Your Z06 is very quick. Even with the best launch I could muster Ive only gotten 4.5s using a G-tech pro. Say, have you ever taken a G-tech to a drag strip and compaired quarter times. I havent done it yet but would like to. If you have done that please drop me a line back and tell me what you found out. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, just a quick update, I managed to snage a 4.27 time last time out -- not a big improvement but it was still nice.

Torchred -- unfortunately, no, I have not taken it to the drag strip. I am dying to do it, though. I am about to go into a 2-3 week trial and when I get out I may try to take Friday off work and head for the drag strip. If I get a chance to do it, I'll post here on the accuracy of the GTech vs. timing equipment at the strip.

GenX

D

·
0 Posts
To ranger buy the Z I like it more than the ZR! I had.....A fantastik car....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts