Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen alot of debate about what a good aftermarket clutch is for our cars. Lately, it doesn't seem like any one clutch is the all around winner. There a clutch in every category that has performed flawlessly in some people's cars and performed crappy, if at all, in others. I've heard good and bad performances about SPEC, Exedy, Mcleod, LUK, Cartek, etc.

Damn, my original post got messed up.....

Here is a shortened version of the story....

Talked with MTI and Andy at A&A Corvettes and decided to go with the RPS clutch for my application. I needed streetability and for it to handle my car's 540 rwhp. My current Exedy single disc never really worked too well as it slipped for the first month of driving, went away and then came back to slipping. Mainly just in 4th gear under WOT runs on the freeway, but then started in 5th and 6th. It got to the point I could not go past half throttle before it just lost grip and revved freely.No track use, high rpm launches or even burnouts. After hearing other's problems with Exedy, i decided to cut my losses and try a new clutch.

Performance and Feel:

The pedal pressure is alot less then the Exedy. Its not as light as stock, but not far from it. It is very streetable and has zero chatter.
I can tell you this clutch grips as it should. As far as track performance, i cannot tell you as I have not been. However, it does hold without a hint of slip.
The engagement point is closer to the floor then the Exedy, and i can't remember in comparison to the stock clutch.
Shifting is just as smooth as stock if not smoother.
I chose to drive 500 city miles for break in as I did not want to chance future problems due to any kind of "improper break-in." There was no instructions for break-in, just playing it safe. I have put an additional 500 miles of "playtime" miles on it since then and it has performed flawlessly.
In short, i am very happy with this clutch and recommend it thus far. In response to longevity, only time will tell.

Just wanted to put a write up of this out as I did not see many threads about it. Hopefully, this will help other owners who are looking for another clutch alternative.

Here is a link Andy provided me with a little info about it..

http://turboclutch.com/flywheel.html

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like the design of this clutch. Have you installed this in your car? If so, what are your initial thoughts?

I have just ordered the SPEC Stage 3 "Plus" clutch which is new on the market. It will be installed when I get back to Canada next month, I will submit a review once I have had a chance to get some miles on it.

Good luck with the new clutch.

Keep us posted.

Kurt

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SPRFAST, sorry about that my orginal post got screwed up some how so i re-edited it. Should answer some of your questions....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think the site I linked has changed, it used to be the exact model for our cars. I guess contact Andy at A&A Corvettes for more info on specifics....I can only report on the performance of it so far...

·
Registered
971 Posts
I am about to use the same RPS clutch zero balanced to the motor. Although, even some the racer's would admit I may be bad indicator of clutch wear. I shift likes nobody's business(.31 seconds). I got 35,000 miles on my Spec IV, probably would have gone another 10,000. This is behind a big motor and front of a R2 or a Kuhmo DOT race tire.

·
Registered
118 Posts
CopMagnet said:
I've heard good and bad performances about SPEC, Exedy, Mcleod, LUK, Cartek, etc.
Thanks for the feedback. Dont forget about the "aussie" clutch from australia. Nothing but good reviews so far.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have a SPEC Stage III DH clutch and love it - its an on/off switch. I am runing a Flydanza light steel flywheel on the aft a of a 640+ crank bhp 427. The Spec clutch did however, take some getting used to as did the lighter flywheel. I have used it at a road course and it performed great - fast dependable, solid, shifts with instant engagement. This sounds very similar to Cop Magnet's experience with the RPS clutch.

I may be wrong but several of the comments or complaints I've seen about the racing clutches appear to have been from folks who are looking for clucthes that are more forgiving and more in line with a Honda or Mazda type clutch - clutches that you can stay on and ride. This generally requires a non-racing clutch and a heavier flywheel. The racing clutches definitely take getting used to...

·
Registered
971 Posts
RPS & SPEC

ScdFache is correct that the Spec III Hybrid with the Aluminum flywheel is much faster on the track. Twenty-two pounds lighter I believe. The RPS is 15 lbs. lighter (Steel insert to prevent vibration (chatter) on expansion/contraction.

A&A is an authorized dealer.
http://turboclutch.com/flywheel.html

1) However many people have a lack of experience driving a aluminum flywheel with race plate. There is balance between ergonomics and speed. They do not reliese in order to have a great track clutch setup, there is sacrafice for the street. I have found that most people that road race, enjoy the extra challenge of driving it on the street.

2) They are many times installed incorrectly. Like 80%+

3) I will have to examine the differences more carefully when I see mine or maybe Andy will comment. The first thing I noticed is that they use a one piece clutch vs. Spec with the six or three wing setup (Smoother, faster and firmer engagement and less heat me thinks).

4) Price about the same for both. Aussie and Exedy are in trouble.

I may add to this write-up when I get back from my trip.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Where's a place to go in the NE area to have the spec III or RPS clutch installed CORRECTLY.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
eamador11 said:
Thanks for the feedback. Dont forget about the "aussie" clutch from australia. Nothing but good reviews so far.
My opinion so far is not favorable. I have a shop looking at my Aussie clutch tomorrow again. Only 650 miles on it and it is slipping slightly and feeds back a lot of clutch chatter through the shifter in 1st and 2nd. At almost any start from a stop when you let it out slow, you get chatter through the shifter. No wheel hop, just chatter. Sounds almost like it is spinning freely under load. To me it is like fingernails on a blackboard. A lot of noise in neutral without your foot pressed down on the clutch. :(

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Golffox said:
My opinion so far is not favorable. I have a shop looking at my Aussie clutch tomorrow again. Only 650 miles on it and it is slipping slightly and feeds back a lot of clutch chatter through the shifter in 1st and 2nd. At almost any start from a stop when you let it out slow, you get chatter through the shifter. No wheel hop, just chatter. Sounds almost like it is spinning freely under load. To me it is like fingernails on a blackboard. A lot of noise in neutral without your foot pressed down on the clutch. :(

George that doesn't sound good ! I hope you get it straightened out !

Rob

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Golffox said:
George,

I had very similar situation with my Excedy dual disc. The "chatter" in neutral has become lessened over time, though not completely gone. I did not get chatter thru the shifter when when going thru 1st and 2nd ever.

It seems that all these "aftermarket" clutches have some sort of nuance to them, some good, some not so good. I would suggest that you contact Texeralia directly, as their customer service response level has been nothing short of stellar...at least from what I've seen posted by others.

Don

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Don Benson said:
George,

I had very similar situation with my Excedy dual disc. The "chatter" in neutral has become lessened over time, though not completely gone. I did not get chatter thru the shifter when when going thru 1st and 2nd ever.

It seems that all these "aftermarket" clutches have some sort of nuance to them, some good, some not so good. I would suggest that you contact Texeralia directly, as their customer service response level has been nothing short of stellar...at least from what I've seen posted by others.

Don
Don... Do you ever get a little chirp when you start off and don't give it enough gas ? I do ! If it keeps on I'm going to go to the glove box :rofl: :rofl: You know what I mean !

Rob

Rob

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Rob1Vet said:
Don... Do you ever get a little chirp when you start off and don't give it enough gas ? I do ! If it keeps on I'm going to go to the glove box :rofl: :rofl: You know what I mean !

Rob

Rob
Yeah, Rob...sometimes I think I have a little birdy under the car. :yeadog: Glad to see I'm not alone on this, though it doesn't happen all the time. Seems that it occurs at a certain rpm/release speed, and when I'm on a slight incline and making a right turn.

I don't think what you got in the glove box will take care of that birdy chirp. :p

Don

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Don Benson said:
Yeah, Rob...sometimes I think I have a little birdy under the car. :yeadog: Glad to see I'm not alone on this, though it doesn't happen all the time. Seems that it occurs at a certain rpm/release speed, and when I'm on a slight incline and making a right turn.

I don't think what you got in the glove box will take care of that birdy chirp. :p

Don

Might K*ll the birdy :lol:

Rob :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Golffox said:
George...Will you please give Pete a call on the toll free 800 number on the website. This is the first we have heard of your problem. Wash

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Golffox said:
So last night a 7 pm I get a PM from TEXTRALIA asking me to contact them about the problem with the clutch. They give me a person to call (Their cell number also) to talk about my "problem". I called but forgot about the 8 hour time difference. So this is our emails.
E-Mail from TEXTRALIA to Golffox said:
Hi,
Your post regarding our clutch has been brought to my attention. We'd like to help!
Please call XXXXXXXXX
or my cell phone on +XXXXXXXXX
Pete.
MY Response:
Pete,

Thank you for your response. I called today but missed you due to the time difference.

My shop (Not the shop that did the install) has advised that the wurring sound/vibration I hear and feel in the shifter is totally NORMAL for an organic, puck style clutch. Apparently air gets trapped between the plate and the flywheel on an organic clutch and this is typical clutch chatter. I did not experience the noise for the 1st 500 miles when I drove very conservativly. The fact that I was getting the noise/vibration after the break-in, and only during a slow let out of the clutch, it what had me concerned, especially since it only recently developed and is occurring more frequently.
He is going to remove the inspection plate just to put my mind at ease, but he said, "This is a very good high performance clutch, enjoy it." I just have to get used to the noise.

George

The slipping is from the clutch pedal not fully releasing. Nothing to do with the clutch.(Cruise control would not set either because the clutch pedal does not return to the top all the time.) Having an entire clutch bleed done today.
So I'm back to favorable on my AUSSIE clutch. :jammin:

TEXTRALIA Customer Service gets an AAA+ rating
"AUSSIE" Clutch Performance gets an AAA+ rating
George's pet peeves gets a D- rating :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts