Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a story of a good trip gone bad....

12 days ago I bought a Mill-Yellow 02' Z06. The car was in FL, so my girlfriend and I decided to fly down on a Friday morning and make a mini-vacation road-trip out of the deal. Naturally there is a little apprehension involved in a deal like this, but fortunately everything went super-smooth. The flight, the seller and even the paperwork all went well w/ no surprises. In a matter of 2 hours we were on the road in my new baby, smiling from ear to ear. To make it even better, we stopped at a Steak-n-shake an hour later, to grab some lunch and I found a $20 bill on the ground as we walked in! Sweet! Free lunch!

After lunch we were on the road once again, cruisin' right along. We passed numerous FL State Patrols, but the Passport 8500 kept the trip ticket free. Life was good! That night we rolled into Hickory, NC where my best friend and his wife live. My GF and I got a great nights sleep and the next morning we headed up to Boone, NC and the Blue Ridge pkwy. I wanted to show my GF the beauty of the Blue Ridge mountains and some of the many waterfalls in the area. We had a blast! We stayed in Hickory for one more night w/ my friend and headed back to D.C. late Sunday evening.

That night we were driving along on I-95 at around 11 pm at night (about 12 miles from the I-85 interchange, just south of Petersburg, VA) still lightheaded from the wonderful weekend that we had experienced (and of course the awesome new car I was driving)...when out of the blue, our luck took a dramatic 180* turn. It started going downhill when I hit a good sized pothole in the interstate. At first I thought nothing more than "Damn, there goes my alignment"...but in a matter of seconds I realized it was much more. The car suddenly had a wicked pull to it. It took strength and effort to keep it from veering to the right. I knew instantly I had a flat. Luckily there was an exit about 100 yards ahead, so I took it. It wasn't a populated exit, having only one gas station (that closed at 10 pm), but I chose to pull in there anyway. Long story short, the front passenger side tire was completely flat and I was hosed. I had no way to jack the car up (thanks GM) so I couldn't verify that the tire was blown, but based on the circumstance and how quickly it went flat I was certain that "tire goo" and a compressor wasn't going to work. So I started making phone calls. After 4 phone calls, a good friend of mine (that I was in the USAF with) agreed to get out of bed (it's almost midnight by now) and drive 2.5 hours 1 way to pick us up (it's situations like this, that show you who your REAL friends are). Unfortunately I had to leave the car sitting there in the Gas Station parking lot. My GF and I got home at 5 a.m., slept for 2 hours, and headed back down to Petersburg bright and early with my Low-profile Jack and a stock 17" wheel from my old LS1 Camaro. Luckily she was just as I left her when we arrived. When I removed the blown tire, I got more than I bargained for. Yes, the tire was completely blown, but I also discovered that the rim (18" Motorsport Rim) was bent to hell and had massive crack in it. So I drove the car home on the Camaro wheel and there she has sat in my garage for the past 10 days as I wait for my replacement wheel to arrive.

It has been the longest 10 days ever. Of course the one good thing is that I've had plenty of time to detail it and install several mods on it (that I had waiting at home for it ;) ). The former owner wasn't versed in the Clay bar or Zaino, so the paint needed some good TLC. But she's good to go now. According to the UPS tracking #, the wheel is coming today and she'll be back on the road by this evening!! Man I can't wait! The new Z isn't nearly as fast as my Camaro was, but she's smooth and handles like a dream. In less than 10 hours, she'll be back on the road!

·
21,386 Posts
Man that sucks. I-95 is getting to be a bear to drive with all the road hazards. Glad you were able to get everything squared away!

It sure is good to have friends in a time of need!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Congrats on your new Zee. Glad to hear everything is going to work out, even though your wallet will be lighter. :cheers:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Might want to get an alignment just to be on the safe side :ity: . Speaking of I-95, here in Jacksonville, FL the LEO's are EVERYWHERE today! :eek:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Could have been worse - but all's well now! Sounds like your 10 days were well spent.

Good Luck. Now go out and enjoy that car!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right, it could've certainly been worse. Besides...the GF and I got to spend some quality time together. Hmm, lets see, we're stranded in the dark, in the middle of nowhere, with Nobody around, and nothing to do....well, nothing except a lot of :cen:

So I'm new to the Z06 world...what is the equivalent of the "mile high" club for Z's? :lol: :zboobie:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Glad to hear it went alright over all... I know it is a headache but much better than the story finishing "tire blew lost control of the car and found a tree".

Chris

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Could have been worse ! You could have heard dueling banjo's coming from the woods by the gas station :rofl: I live in Concord, NC so it's possile :eek:

Rob :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts