Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a oil temp that will trigger a warning in the DIC? I have searched and read old posts, bit no one ever mentioned a specific limit that is in the shop manual, or mentioned an oil temp warning in the DIC.

I was at Putnam Park (West of Indianaoplis) and it got up to 70 when the sun came out. I was running the car hard, and I was loving my 315/35/17's on all corners! I even whupped my buddie and his 2001 Viper! Sweeeeeet. :jammin: It was a Porsche event and I know most of them were shocked at what a Z06 could do. The only cars to pass me were full mod race cars. Too much fun.

Anyway, I am confident I will get an integral radiator and oil cooler, I just am concerned that I may have done some damage to the engine, although it feels fine. I didn't look down every minute, so the DIC could have read more than 298 for the oil temp - I don't know.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

:cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The DIC on the C5 I ran at Bondurant school last year hit 305degF peak. They run Mobil-1 15W-50 though, I'd hesitate to get that high with XW-30 oil.

·
Registered
149 Posts
it's fine

just run high quality oil. consider that just sitting in traffic oil temps get up to 225*F, 300* is not that unreasonable. My car had gotten up to roughly the same temp level with no ill effects.

Also GM owners manual suggests u run 1 quart extra for the track. Probably doesn't hurt to do that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Time for a cooler, you do NOT want you oil temp that high. The arguement of the temp getting up to 225 in traffic means nothing. Optimum temperature for oil in racing conditions is typically 10-20 degrees over what your coolant is. With coolers most of our cars will run about 245-255 oil temp, that's as high as you would really want it in a perfect world.

Another arguement is that modern synthetics can take that heat so do not worry. Again, I don't care if a modern synthetic can take 500 degrees, it does little to no good when the bearing surfaces and everything else in your motor is being cooked. A perfect world would be 210 coolant and 230 oil temp under racing conditions. As close to that as possible and you are doing a good thing. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Most all T1 cars run a cooler so that should tell you something.
They usually don't see over 275 degrees if I recall.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I am typically at 280 at the end of my run, but sometimes have gotten up to 300-when I do, I pit. I can usually keep the temps down if I shift more and keep the rev's down.

Think an oil cooler is the next mod for me

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
While I agree that 300ºF is uncomfortably warm, you *could* run at that temperature all day and not do any harm to your Mobil 1.

Synthetics aren't just a little better than refined oils, they're a LOT better. They're much better at resisting oxidation. They don't depend on the easily broken-down Viscosity Inducing polymers common in mineral oils. They have higher flash points (the temperature at which the oil starts to "cook off" or "coke"). Because they don't come out of the ground, they have much lower concentrations of undesirables like Sulfur.

Refined oil probably wouldn't last long at 300ºF, but most over-the-counter synthetics will take it up to around 400ºF before "crying uncle".

It has little to do with bearing surfaces, per-se. Until you're getting them hot enough to anneal, the bearings won't care what temperature they're running at and will take temperatures substantially higher than any oil could possibly survive. Provided the motor's not hot enough to melt metal (or to get it glowing), all that matters to a lubricated surface is what does or doesn't cook out of the oil when the oil gets hot (ignoring viscosity, force and shear).

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Dave,
I got that same temp my first DE in the car way back in Oct 01. My car had an oil cooler very shortly thereafter.

There is no magic number where above it is bad and below it is good.

However, even good synthetics won't last very long at that temp. I change my oil every four track days or so, which equates to about 500 miles, or about how long the pro-teams use their oils. :cheers:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty high. We all run an external cooler and I don't see temps any higher than about 240 or so. I switched to the bigger radiator too which keeps the coolant at 210 even under the most extreme conditions. Definitely consider running either an external cooler or an integrated one with the big radiator.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You also lose considerable power at that temp. The PCM retards your timing to avoid detonation when the engine gets that hot and then you lose power. If you think back through your run, you may have noticed it by seat of the pants. Get the integral cooler and big radiator and relax and enjoy the power. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
quickZ said:
You also lose considerable power at that temp. The PCM retards your timing to avoid detonation when the engine gets that hot and then you lose power. If you think back through your run, you may have noticed it by seat of the pants. Get the integral cooler and big radiator and relax and enjoy the power. :cheers:

When I use to run stock it did feel like the power dropped off.
Your oil may take 300 degrees but the motor won't. You can get away with it for a while as I did. The motor would come in and make noise for a long time cooling I have seen 310 degree a bunch of times. I also saw my motor go BOOM along with the tranny and rear all in ONE big bang. I just had my oil checked by Blackstone labs after 1500 miles ALL track miles. They said it would be good for about 2500 mile. Mobil 1 10/30
The coolers I have keep the temps to 200 coolant and 220-225. The nose on my car my offer slightly better cooling than stock. If the oil was the save all race cars would not run coolers as they would be lighter and they have sponsor and more money than most of us here. I also have a tranny and diff cooler. Can you check your oil after you just come in? I could not without gloves before the coolers. Now it is cool and no problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just ran a NASA event on Saturday at Firebird Raceway with my new radiator and integral oil cooler. It was 93 degrees and my highest oil temp was around 245 degrees. The new radiator and cooler made a BIG difference. I also use only Amsoil products in my car and they are GREAT! I run my car hard (fastest time of any street car that day) and was very happy with my new oil and coolant temps. I also noticed that mt temps dropped very quickly during the cool down lap after each session.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Time for a cooler.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I ran lots of DEs last year and saw high temps 290 or so. Racing wheel to wheel this year, installed DRM cooler (not the integral setup). Stayed much cooler in a full 30 minute race this year, never got over 270. See my previous posts for install tips...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts