Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this set-up will have to do until I can get me a T-1. I figure if I can get a Vette or Z06 logo attached I can start selling these bad boys! I've seen a few others do this set-up and thought, "what the hell." Thanks to ChrisP for helping me out! We had a fun ride after this major :roll: modification.

J

·
0 Posts
I really recommend a K and N filter as opposed to the paper element.

I say this because your car is so nice. Water and paper elements are a big concern.

I bet there are tons of guys at various forums with an old k & N panel filter just taking up space in there garage

shoot them email..I bet they give it to you for close to nothing..

JB

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
cya

Already being marketed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You can buy a near DUPE, from West Coast................
Can you tell any diff??.......other than the obvious, GIANT sucking sound..............ya' gonna name it the PEROT filter??.:lol: :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I still have the stock airbox. I was about to throw away my old airbox off of my '00 Coupe. It was actually 2 pieces which was pretty hard to cut through. I think the Z06 airbox cover is just one piece. If I ever go on a trip, I plan on popping the stock cover back on to eliminate any water ingestion. I was gonna pick up a [email protected] filter( #33-2111?) later on this week, but I want to be sure I pick up the right one. The cheapest one I've found on the net is at West Coast Corvettes for $49.95. Unless anyone knows where I can find a slightly used one cheaper, I'll probably be dropping them a line later on.

edit: Nope, can't say I truly can feel a difference. With only a slight bump, if any, in power, I doubt anyone could. I had Chris blip the throttle a few times and I could definitely hear the sucking sound. It scared me at first because I had never heard it before. I thought I didn't get the filter firmly sealed. It does sound cool..... :D

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
cya

From the pic, it looks as if if you were to go to an outdoor car wash, the runoff would drip directly into the element.........or is that an illusion?/

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the front of my car after performing the mod, it seems the only water that would go into the filter would be the little bit that gets caught in the front of the hood area. And that would only happen if I was driving. At a stop, the water will fall straight down and will avoid the big 'l hole I created. That being said, I won't be going through any automatic washers and I already have a little plastic shield to cover the exposed filter so that no water comes through when I do the washing at home. And before I put the plastic shield on, I will tie a shoelace around my keys, so I will not forget to let my baby breath. I plan on doing the same thing once I get the K&N filter, even though it will repel water a helluva lot better than the paper element.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On my 99 conv 6spd I took the cover off and used plastic tie straps to hold down the slide and filter. If it rains hard you will get water in the filter. (mine was soaked one time) I would sugest a hood seal sold through many places,(mid america $15) to help prevent the water problem. Good luck

·
Registered
265 Posts
Cyaford, Enjoyed helping with you mod. Hope there's many more to come !!! (For both of us :D ). :cheers:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I too would suggest you buy a hood seal. They are only about $15 and takes only a few minutes to install. I bought a Blackwing a couple of months ago from Exit 28 and was also able to buy a hood seal from them as well. The hood seal fits perfectly and has stayed in place as it should. Some folks have posted that they have had trouble with their's trying to shift around.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
GOLD72 :cheers:

·
Registered
425 Posts
where's the dyno sheets?? ...post 'em.... jk

but it could be embarassing to some vendors selling mods for big bucks.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
GM BRA

With the two pieces ..one on the hood and the other over the front of the car keeps it tight in the crack if you know what I mean. No water gets in. :) :) :cheers:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Why cutting the box? Why not just remove it and ties it down with tie-wraps?

Looking at the air box on the Z06, I can see that it is there for a purpose. It helps picking up the cold air from the two front opening holes and kind of force it into the filter through the bottom of the air box. Without the airbox, you don't get that effects. So, I don't know which way is better; cutting the box or just remove it?

Right now, the airbox in my Z is removed and a Fram air filter installed. I think the Fram is more restricted than the stock filter, so I'm going to take it out. I was thinking about the K & N filter, but will get the Donaldson Blackwing. You get a lot more surface areas with the Blackwing. I think it is much better than the K&N. I wanted the Vortech, but a friend of mine just had his engine Hydrolocked by one. So, I don't want to mess with that.

I installed the hood seal, so no water problem to worry about. I had driven my Z this way through all kinds of weather and no problem. If anyone worry about water ingestion, just get the hood seal and never have to worry about it. Plus, the seal helps keep the dust out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
cya

Did the change over to the K & N, and opened up lid.........

Took er' to the car wash, and put a LARGE bath towel over the entire opening.
I was VERY careful, NOT to put the spray noozzle directly in or on the hood opening crack.

CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!

After the wash was complete, i figured the only H2o that would get on the towel, would be from the hood run off................

DING!!!!.......NOT, the towel was basically SOAKED..........:eek:

This is one mod, that will definitely need a hood seal for rain, or not go out at all...............CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
576 Posts
You got to have a hood seal. The front hood seam is plenty big enough and water is going to cascade onto the open air filter without that hood seal in either a rain or at the car wash!!! :roll:

GOLD72

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Gold

I was just testing it for saftey.......I figured, due to the cant of the filter......that H2o would be a very serious problem once I saw the installed product............:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts