Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without warning....both just don't work now. I spoke with the local dealer and he said the relays hardly ever go out. I have maybe 30hrs run time on them total.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
That's really strange. I'm sure you've checked the obvious so please keep us posted when you learn more.

Charlie

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I have them on my daily driver and both bulbs have burned out in less than two years...don't use them that often...only when it's real dark! :lol: Sure not going to bother with them on the Z. :mad: And, the bulbs aren't cheap. :mah:

Bob :(

·
Registered
882 Posts
Are you running the PIA harness? If it is crimped spliced to the purple wire under the relays, the wire could have come loose if you don't feel the relay activate? :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Check for good ground. My headlights would sometimes not pop up so I would stop and keep trying. Recently found out that the ground near the battery was the problem. Tightned it and now all is fine. My PIAA's have been working for 3 years now, no problem.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great suggestions guys. I will go through the system again and let you guys know what I find. Thanks for helping a brutha out!

·
Registered
882 Posts
If your using the OEM harness, could be a blown fuse? :eek:

If you using the PIAA harness, could also be a blown fuse? ;)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm using the PIAA harness, and have checked all of the fuses....nothing out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have replaced both of mine. One was due to a small mistake will removing the battery. Have you installed anything electrically lately?? I would remove and reinstall the grounds

·
Registered
882 Posts
EFI-1 said:
I'm using the PIAA harness, and have checked all of the fuses....nothing out.
Are you using the OEM dash switch for the lights? If so my bet is your using the purple wire under the relay for activation and it may have come loose if your using a crimp type connector. The 3M is a better brand as I recall. :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good input guys. I solder all my electrical connections, but it's wortha check anyway.

Z06 UK, I'm checking the grounds again today.

Mahalo, Dave

·
Registered
292 Posts
Can you get a light to come on if it's powered directly?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright.......Just got back inside

Grounds all check out
Connections to switch check out
All connections to relay and power source check out
All fuses checked out

Took my voltage tester to the connector to the projector and there is power......just no light. How could it be that both lamps went out simultaneously and within such a short burn period?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Maybe some kinda of power surge?
Is there a some kinda of warranty on the lights?
Maybe they're defective?
Do you have the original lights? Maybe swap them out and test the system?
Maybe you hit some kinda of bump in the road that caused the failure?
Have you done any hard driving on some twisties lately?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nah....just came out one night and was stopped at a light when I noticed they were not on in the reflection of the car ahead of me. No changes to anything.....just mysteriously never came on one night. Messed up. I barely drive the car nowadays. Bought in December 03, and I just broke 6k mi.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. How come you're barely driving the car these days?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm VP for one of Hawaii's foremost energy contractors and am building my own company......no time. If all goes well, I may retire from the energy company and do a commission only deal with them since I hold most of the large contracts. At that point, I will let my investments carry most of the weight for me while I build the business to a point where it can be stand alone. Crossing Fingers!

I should have the PIAA's fixed soon. It's just too bad they failed for no apparent reason.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts