Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my short time on this board I have met quite a few of you at various driving events. It has been a great ride so far and everyone I have met has been great to hang out and run with. I want to make everyone aware who does not know that I am beginning to make a run for the ranks of SCCA T1. Over the passed 2 years my skills have blossomed to a level I never thought I would acheive, and I now have the drive to go even further. I am aiming at being competitive in T1, if not a force to win, but a force to at least give even the best in the class a good competitor to run against. The entire field of T1 is strong, but I fully intend on being in the mix. I have been told by quite a few poeple in the know including a person who I very well may compete against that I am ready. I WILL be doing this, and I am looking forward to it more than I can describe.

My march forward is on hold at this point in time, and here is where I am asking for any help that anyone can give me. Before I decided to go chase the T1 dream I was building a car for the American Iron Extreme NASA series. The car is a 1986 IROC. I am currently trying to sell the car, for the money needed and for the room in the garage for the T1 setup. If everyone could take a quick minute and read this link.

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=308806

I haven't had much interest in the car so far. What i am asking is that if anyone here could help me network this car for sale in any way, shape or form I would owe you a great many thanks. Anyone who knows of someone who may be interested in a project such as this, or may know of any place to post or advertise it please get the word out. I find it very hard to ask anyone for help, so I am going out on a limb and asking those that read this to assist. This is not a project I ever wanted to sell, I have owned the car 13 years and invested much of my life into it, but I have to move it to pursue a dream I never thought I had a shot at until now.

I know this was a bit long, I hope everyone made it to the end. Thanks everyone, for any help and support you can give me. I hope to see all of you out at my 1rst T1 grid yelling "stay out of the peas!!!" Thanks again. :yeadog:

Joe Gaudette :usa:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Why not finish it off, get some road racing experience and then consider the T1 route.

I went Midwest Council with my Z06,and from time to time think I might have been better off with either a full blown race car (I'm pretty stock, just roll / door bar, coolers, etc.) to start with something a little cheaper (altho, your camaro looks far from inexpensive).

I understand AIX is great competition, I'd finish and try if you are that far along....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
I think, and am predicting, that he could get into a C5 Vetteat some pretty good prices later this year. In the mid 30s, I bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I wish you the best of luck in your new pursuit. Running front-pack in Nat. T1 is very expensive. I don't mean to be rude but if the sale of a $7500 car is affecting your T1 budget then your budget may be too tight. If you manage to get a front-running type car and can drive it up there then the cost of staying there in a competitive division is liable to shock you. Race gas, fresh tires and brakes can easily top $3000 for a long Double weekend with testing. Transport,lodging,meals and support can add alot more if your traveling far from home. Doing your own work and having helpful friends can reduce the bill, running on used tires can save you as well - but will likely cost you position against top drivers who will run on fresh tires. You may secure a tire deal but not before you've won alot of races or married a Hoosier dealers daughter. This has been my first year as well so all this stuff is fresh in my head and wallet. Hope to see you at the Run-offs next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
Can't help you sell the car Joe, but good luck to you. I hope you see your dreams come to life.

Seege,
I had dinner with Joe and his wife last month and talked to him at length about my run into T1, my budget (very limited) and how that limited budget impacted my driving, preparation, etc. But your points are well taken and more or less what I told him as well. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
seege said:
I wish you the best of luck in your new pursuit. Running front-pack in Nat. T1 is very expensive. I don't mean to be rude but if the sale of a $7500 car is affecting your T1 budget then your budget may be too tight. If you manage to get a front-running type car and can drive it up there then the cost of staying there in a competitive division is liable to shock you. Race gas, fresh tires and brakes can easily top $3000 for a long Double weekend with testing. Transport,lodging,meals and support can add alot more if your traveling far from home. Doing your own work and having helpful friends can reduce the bill, running on used tires can save you as well - but will likely cost you position against top drivers who will run on fresh tires. You may secure a tire deal but not before you've won alot of races or married a Hoosier dealers daughter. This has been my first year as well so all this stuff is fresh in my head and wallet. Hope to see you at the Run-offs next year.
Sale of the car is for more than just the funding needed now to arrange some issues, it is for room needed in the garage and to insure that I do not spend funds on TWO different projects. It allows me focus, something I haven't had in a while. As Brad stated, we had lengthy conversations about this and I now know what i am getting into. Can't wait!! :usa:

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subdriver said:
Can't help you sell the car Joe, but good luck to you. I hope you see your dreams come to life.

Seege,
I had dinner with Joe and his wife last month and talked to him at length about my run into T1, my budget (very limited) and how that limited budget impacted my driving, preparation, etc. But your points are well taken and more or less what I told him as well. :cheers:
Thanks Brad. I'll be out there soon enough, if I simply get out and do a couple regionals with freinds and family I will be a happy camper! Again, all the guidance is greatly appreciated. :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Good luck as I am in my first season of T1. It really depends what region you are running in as far as being competative. The NE is by far the toughest just with the shear number of T1 cars and drivers. Some regions struggle to get 4 cars at a National.

Track knowledge is key. There really is no substitute. The good drivers are fast everywhere but really fast on the circuits they know the best...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Welcome to T1 and best of luck to you! I've been in since 2000 and it's an awesome class of folks with really nice and fast cars.

This stuff is expensive, but compared to some of the GT classes, it's actually pretty cheap. I think I figured out that every time I left the house for an event, I wrote a check for $3K. It would be much easier and cheaper to just develop a good crack habit!!! :D :lol:

Take care and we'll see you on track!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
It would be much easier and cheaper to just develop a good crack habit!!!
Chris, I have a "crack" habit...fiberglass cracks! :cry:

The NE is by far the toughest just with the shear number of T1 cars and drivers.
I am not sure about that. I think CenDiv is the toughest, with virtually every driver there (Heinricy, Baker, Roush, Knupp & Grahovich) a Run Offs Top Ten driver. Then SEDiv has Ingle and Croyle. NEDiv has AJ, Ziegler and Kahn.

What was my point? :mah:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
NASA is a good place to practice.
SCCA is more like mini pro than amateur in reality for front runners.

And cost...WOW!

Also when new Z06 comes out who knows what that will mean for class.

:eek:

I would get at least 1 year in NASA in a cheap race class before committing for the full expense ride personally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
David Pintaric said:
I am not sure about that. I think CenDiv is the toughest, with virtually every driver there (Heinricy, Baker, Roush, Knupp & Grahovich) a Run Offs Top Ten driver. Then SEDiv has Ingle and Croyle. NEDiv has AJ, Ziegler and Kahn.

What was my point? :mah:
Dave agree to a point but Heinricy and Baker cherry pick the races they run. Baker has run at least 2 NE nationals this year and John 1. Knupp and Roush are really the 2 battling for the CenDiv championship with a few cars sprinkled in.

Chris and Phil in the SE with 1 or 2 other regulars.

I agree the top drivers in the central and se are excellent but there are rarely more then 2 or 3 others in a race.

Is it easier with 2 great drivers or 2 great drivers and 6-10 good drivers?

Good Question... :guiness:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
I ran CenDiv last year. At the front there was Knupp, Baker and Roush battling it out. Then Robbins, Amonson and I hada small battles.

In NeDiv this year, I am chasing AJ and Baker (the NeDiv races he ran were Nelson and Beaverun, real close to his home in Cleveland). Behind AJ is Bob Kahn, Pete Kulka, Chip Ott, AJ's father (what's his name?), Evan Kesselman, Dan Kahn and Jason Berkeley. My real challenges have been with Kulka and Bob Kahn, though.

What is tougher? I think if I run with the top drivers in CenDiv, I have done alot (I have yet to do so...). I am a bit closer to the top in NeDiv, but still not there either. I do think having more competition closer to me makes me better, so my vote is NeDiv being a better training ground for me.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top