Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

What a job (plenty of my analidity - yeah, thats a made up word for ya)

Anyway as I had reported earlier, had them smoothed up inside then off to Jet Hot. Boy they look like chrome!!!

One horror moment when I thought I had the last bolt on the drivers side cross threaded:eek:

Pulled it all down, threaded that bolt in by itself and it went in fine. All back together again with that bolt being the first bolt in, piece of cake. All ok on the drivers side. I was so mentally exhausted from that episode that I waited until last night to do the passengers side. CAKE !

Now all I have left to do is the exhaust pipes to the manifold connections. REAL tight quarters on one bolt on each side of the flange, both sides.

Hope to get it all buttoned up and drive it maybe tomorrow (60+ weather forcast)

Later.......
:cheers:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey fyrcaptain,

Congrats, almost huh. Hey don't forget to be the master of heat sheilding (fire captain, heat shielding hmmm, anyway) If you don't already know, that heat shielding thing is soooooo important, every little thing has got to be covered. Slow melt or fast melt, a melt is melt and it's just not an option! If ya think it'll be O.K. cover it anyway! You are now officially a factory engineer, don't let your customer down. Remember this is one customer that when you make a mistake, will never let you forget it! :yeadog:

That fuel line by the booster gets real hot, even with just the factory manifolds in case you never felt it. Definitely cover that.

The a/c lines on the passenger side could use covering the rest of the way up also, you know which one I mean. Air injection hose, yeah, I'd cover that too, even those brake lines, I'd cover those the rest of the way also. Finish anything you see factory started and didn't finish. They had cost constraints and shields on the manifolds. You don't! All spark plug wires at the boot must have at least a finger gap of space for air gap cooling, right. Socks, why not, who wants an arc at 6500+rpm :eek:

All this shielding is why I'm always the last one to put headers on and always the last one to benefit. I always say why didn't I do this sooner. :(

I really got get over this fear of install issue thing, it's like a childhood issue, maybe I burned to many plug wires in previous life or something. :lol: Man I envey you! :)

I've got 25,000 on my C4 JBA's, and everything is way cool and its all, way covered, not one problem. :D

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I cannot wait to hear your reaction after you drive it, I love mine! If my shorties only make 3hp then that is the baddest 3hp I have ever experienced. Enjoy! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys

Thanks for the moral support guys! I am sure I will be holding my breath when I first turn the key, not the same as when JNation cranks his over with his supercharger, but none the less with the install done by me personally, I will be a little nervous.
Z06_2002, I hear ya Bro, I know what you have told me before:D :D

Mr Z, any thoughts on where I might find that quilted aluminized blanket wrap the General used on those AC lines?
The JetHot coating is supposed to reduce temperatures up to 20%, so I am ahead the game as far as just the stock B&B stainless headers and the radiated heat goes.
:cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Congrats Captain. Any pix of the install?? :cool:

You'll like the shortie headers. I think my good buddy RAT picked up 8 RWHP with his. :)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
GUY'S

Remember when..................
A set of headers would net you at least 20 or more rwhp???......
The technology on the new Z manifolds and exhaust, even though they can be bettered........are LIGHT years away from the 60's...................LIGHT.:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just ordered/received some convoluted tubing w/aluminum shield in 3/4" & 1/2" and some velcroed sheet that comes in 1" x 3' cut to fit. In stock - Summit Racing (1-800-230-3030)

DEI-10414, Cool Tube 1/2" x 3' (nylon 6 convoluted w/aluminized f-glass, 500 degree rating)
DEI-10415, Cool Tube 1/2" x15'

DEI-10403, Heat Shroud 3/4" x 3'
DEI-10405, Heat Shroud 1" x 3' (velcro stripped-cut to length) this like what what the general's using

DEI-10406, Cool Tube 3/4" x 3' (same as nylon 6)
DEI-10407, Cool Tube 3/4' x 15'

DEI-10501, Proteca-boot socks (plug boot socks) 1200 degree

Design Engineering, Inc.
Avon, OH
1-216-934-0800

This is the arsonal, there are other mfg's, (Cool It/Thermo-tec) But these are the popular sizes that will meet your needs probably for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts