Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several Z06Vette.com Racing Forum drivers went out to run the AROSC Time Trial this past Saturday at Buttonwillow. On Saturday practice, forum member known as Z06Machine and I were following each other to better learn the hot lines. During the 3rd session I spun the car coming out of a turn. I was trying to get a good launch because I wanted to hang with Z06Machine. If I missed that pass on the short straight, I would have to wait 4 more turns for a good place to pass. I got happy on the throttle and swapped ends before going all the way around. Here is that clip for your amusement.
http://message.viditalk.com/ver12/showvideo0313.asp?vid=38502.967888-5599

This was my first Time Trial. On Sunday I got 2nd and Z06Machine got 3rd.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
:jammin:

I enjoyed the audio as much as anything. Nothing like a SBC winding out.

:jammin: :mug:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I can't get the video to play. :-?

·
Banned
809 Posts
Cool. :eek:o:

Comp Mode or everything off?

Sal

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
:eek: Glad you where ok :yeadog:

case2307 said:
I can't get the video to play. :-?

Worked for me Case :-?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No COMP MODE. I drive with everything turned off.
:usa: :usa: :usa:

Stay posted for a full 30 minute clip coming soon...!

·
Banned
809 Posts
Olitho said:
No COMP MODE. I drive with everything turned off.

Stay posted for a full 30 minute clip coming soon...!
I asked because the car seemed to react similar to when I nearly spun in Comp Mode.

Sal

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think when you are at the very edge of adhesion and you break loose, at that point I don't think traction control can always save you. Maybe it would have helped here, I am not sure.

But this same turn I come in trail braking to the left and then real hard trail braking to the right. When the camera lens goes fuzzy, it always does that under the heavy braking G-loads. The perfect drift to the left I get on final corner entry is why I catch so many cars here. I don't think I could do that sort of manuever with any sort of active handling turned on.
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Olitho said:
But this same turn I come in trail braking to the left and then real hard trail braking to the right. When the camera lens goes fuzzy, it always does that under the heavy braking G-loads. The perfect drift to the left I get on final corner entry is why I catch so many cars here. I don't think I could do that sort of manuever with any sort of active handling turned on.
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
Hey Oli,

What turn are you doing this on? Is this after the bus stop? What config did you run CW whole track with or without bus stop and with or w/o mazda turn? Where did you spin? I went skiing and fishing. 40-60 degree days nice and cool but thought alot about missing AROSC. Where are you going nextime? Fontana does not get as hot in the summer. I may do 6/19 with speed ventures and help tech for the ferrari club. I just ordered a tube bender and plasma cutter to do my own full cage in the race car. I still have not made me harness bar for the Z. Maybe this weekend...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
TexasBlue72 said:
:jammin:

I enjoyed the audio as much as anything. Nothing like a SBC winding out.

:jammin: :mug:

Fun to watch :jammin: :jammin:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Couldn't get it to work. I'm sure it was good.

Alex

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi FatBillyBob:

We missed you out there.

We were running track config #14, the whole track, clockwise. My spin happened on the exit of Sunrise just where you enter the short straight called I-5. See this link to see the track layout.
http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/images/race_14_config.gif

I am glad you enjoyed your ski trip. Saturday was warm in the mid 90's in the afternoon. Sunday never got over 75 I don't think.

Z06Machine, American Muscle, Kraff and others on this forum are already signed up for California Speedway in Fontana on June 18-19. We will be running the infield track. I will be there both days. Here is the link for event sign-up.
http://www.speedventures.net/6-18-2005_event.asp

If any newcomers want to come out, we should have plenty of experience Corvette drivers to aid in the Speedventures instruction.

FatBillyBob, I expect to see you there!!!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Got to see it! Nice driving (except for the spin).

Alex

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Great video!!! Any idea how fast you were going before you spun out?? What was the top speed that you were able to get on the course? :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On my fastest laps I hit about 130 down the back straight if I exit the prior turn just right.

Otherwise my top speed is about 125-128mph depending upon my prior exit and how late I brake into the Riverside turn.

Exiting the Sunrise turn I am in 3rd gear when I spun. I wind out in third on that straight away and hold it just under the rev limiter before the next turn as there is not enough straight left to get anything out of a shift. You can listen to the RPM of the engine when I start to go around. I would guess I am just shy of 4000 RPM at that point. What does a z06 do in 3rd at that RPM? I forget.
:bang: :bang: :bang:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Olitho said:
Hey AL-X:

Go to Fontana with us in two weeks!
I would, except I don't have tires at the moment. Mine are in need of replacements. I will have to go once I have tires. Thanks for the invite.

Alex

·
Registered
164 Posts
OK Oli,

I'm working on the harness bar for the Z saturday. If I get done I'll try to keep up with you guys on Saturday and then run my racecar on Sunday with the F guys. Are you guys on streets or DOT R compound? I have done nothing to the Z. I gotta lower it. The thing is like a 4 wheel drive right now. Do you know if I dumped the car one inch if I could get away with the camber change without doing an alignment. I know it goes negative which is what I want but how much approximately. I just don't have time to futs with the car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Olitho said:
I think when you are at the very edge of adhesion and you break loose, at that point I don't think traction control can always save you. Maybe it would have helped here, I am not sure.

Hey Oli!

I don't think so...remember my mistake at BW? Damm thing wouldn't let me throttle steer when I dropped 2 and then it was all momentum that made the pretty black marks! :lol:

From the video, I think if you would have feathered down the throttle and made little corrections at the wheel, you might have saved it! :jammin: Hind sight fore sight...food for thought next time! :jammin: Were you runnin slicks again?

That video has convinced me to start another project for the rippie. Very cool! :cool:

Say, is there any way we can get Aaron to lose lost hill and keep the dragstrip straight to starmazda? :lol: That would be some serious speed...too much of a liability,perhaps? :bang:

Before I forget, are you staying somewhere or going home Sat?

Ed

1 - 20 of 36 Posts