Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
NCM Delivery Staff
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often I get a lot of people asking how I got suck an awesome job at the National Corvette Museum. Well here is my story for those who wonder. For those have been in the hobby or just got into the hobby what is your story?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My junior yeah in high school (1996-1997) I was asked to do a research paper on something that interested me. I had a hard time deciding on what to write on. One day I was driving home and I saw 14 or so prototype C5s in Red, White, and Blue formation, and it started from there.

I had always had an eye for cars. I loved cars, and I carried a deep passion for learning as much as I could about every car that was made. When I was 12 or so I took a ride in a 1991 White coupe. It had red interior and was a six-speed. I was like WOW! Corvettes had always caught my eye, but I never realized where it would take me.

After I saw these 14 or so C5 prototypes driving here in Bowling Green I knew then this is what my research paper was going to be on. I got as much information that I could and started writing. I picked up a book called "All Corvettes Are Red" and started reading about the development of the C5. This book really opened my eyes on the development of a vehicle. By the time the paper was completed I had written over 34 pages of information including past events for the Corvette, comparisons between the C5 Vette and its competitors, and a lot of information I obtained from
the National Corvette Museum. Needless to say my teacher decided she did not want to read the entire paper so she gave me an A.

I started gaining major interest in the NCM. I started volunteering at the NCM, and put in over 100 of my own personal time. I put in several applications for employment and finally got a phone call. I had an interview in the NCM Gift Store. I went to the gift shop for the interview, and they said we were told not to hire you, but they want you in admissions. I went to talk to Wendell Strode (Executive Director) and he said they want to start me in the Museum Delivery section! I was like WOW! That’s awesome! This all happened in the summer of 1998.

I was one of two people in the NCM Delivery section, and since then we have hired 4 more people to have this awesome job. In August of 2001 I was offered a position to move up to the IT department. I was like YES! I was getting frustrated, because I had put so much time in supporting the NCM, and felt it was about to be a dead in job. I am now the IT Assistant. I have learned a lot about the way things work at the NCM, and with the IT department.

I do love my job, and I love what I do. I just wanted to share where I got started and what I do now.

Lets here how other people got started into the hobby, or the family. This is truly a family that has a common bond, the Corvette.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nice story, Adam !

One thing missing from your timeline - when did you get that tattoo :D

I'm so old, I can't remember exactly when I started liking Corvettes. But I'm sure my father and older brothers had an impact.

I made a lot of Corvette plastic model kits. Every year I had to get the new one. I did build them the 'stock' way, never the hot-rod.

·
NCM Delivery Staff
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vince:

Oct of 1999 I got the Tat. I was on vacation with my exgirlfriend then, and I said I am going to get a tattoo of my one true love, she said "ME!!!" I said HELL NO! Ove Corvette! She was like OH!

May of 2001 I met a girl named Kelly, she has a 69 Vert, she is definatly my soul mate! She is an awesome girl!

Adam

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
My addiction to the Corvette started in 1962, when the TV series Route 66 was on. Also that same year my uncle traded in his '59 Cadillac convertable in on a '62 Fawn Beige Corvette. I have been "hooked" since then and have owned 17 Corvettes since 1972.:D

carzzy

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Adam:

Great story and well written. :cheers:

BTW, save that 34 page report, and I'll bet it will be a valued document in the NCM one day....and you'll be in the front office behind your big, mahogany desk! :D

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Nice. I wish I'd lived in such a place, I'm sure I would have ended up like you. One question, do you get GMS pricing on Corvettes?

I wish I had a cool story about just what made me start liking Corvettes, but alas, I don't have one.

I don't ever remember not liking them. And I've always been around cars (I do mean always). But for some reason or another my dad always had to back out of getting a Corvette. Whether it was a '65 when he ended up getting a Shelby Mustang, or in '93 when he couldn't get the interest rate he wanted.

He eventually got one in '99 (a '94 coupe). Then I bought my Z in 2000, without ever having driven a C5. Hell, Adam was in the car for my first trip :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Adam,

Nice story and what a job you have! :cool:

Looking forward to meeting you some day when I visit BG.

Mark

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Adam,
Since you bees worksin down at the museum, would you see if you can get an answer to this, I have emailed the lady at the museum store 3 times within the last 3 months with no reply. I want a reproduction build sheet and window sticker for my 2002 Z06, when you go to the order site for these items on the Museum's website, there is no listing for the 2002. My question is are they available by phone or mail order, if not when will they be available and will the order site be updated at that time to include the 2002 model year ?

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
fyrcaptain said:
Adam,
Since you bees worksin down at the museum, would you see if you can get an answer to this, I have emailed the lady at the museum store 3 times within the last 3 months with no reply. I want a reproduction build sheet and window sticker for my 2002 Z06, when you go to the order site for these items on the Museum's website, there is no listing for the 2002. My question is are they available by phone or mail order, if not when will they be available and will the order site be updated at that time to include the 2002 model year ?

For a 2002 window sticker you have to contact your dealer, they can order one for you.
The build sheet is hid in the front bumper cover.

carzzy

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Aye Aye Cap'n

fyrcaptain said:
Adam,

The unused build sheet copies are accumulated in the plant until the end of the calendar year when they go over to the Corvette Museum. Carzzy is right, they do put a build sheet in the frame at construction, but others are available. I got mine when I toured the plant while my car was being built. Keep watching the Museum web site and you will see the availability of the build sheets next year. I believe the museum can pull up any window sticker from a computerized data base, so that should be available any time. The museum will also enclose these documents in plastic for a small fee. jerboa :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, it all started for me when my Dad's best friend had this '53 white corvette. He let my Dad borrow the car one night to go to some kind of special party. I remember going to the party with my Dad and coming home with my Mother. And that was the begining for me.

·
NCM Delivery Staff
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
carzzy said:

For a 2002 window sticker you have to contact your dealer, they can order one for you.
The build sheet is hid in the front bumper cover.

carzzy
Actually, you will need to call up the Resource Center at the NCM. Call 1.800.538.3883 and ask for the resource center. They will be able to help you. We have some 2002 build sheets. I picked up 5 boxes of 2002 build sheets today. We can get you a window sticker also.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I grew up loving cars. I never had much exposure to Corvettes but admired them from a distance. In high school, my buddy owned two different vettes. A 75 painted like the batmobile and a 78.

I bought my Viper GTS in May of 2000. Later that year I started seeing articles on the Z06. When GM upped the ante in 02, I just couldn't resist. I already wanted a C5 for my daily driver so when the 02 Z came out, I was hooked.

The more I drive it, the more I love it.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
PerforminNorman How would you compare the Viper to the ZO6. I seriously thought about buying a 96 or 7 GTS, when GM came out with the ZO6. Everything I read,plus a test drive in my friends 2001 conv. convinced me the Corvette was the way to go. Still love the "sexy look" of the Viper, but am extremely happy with my Z.Looks like you have the best of both worlds!
ps ALL your cars are nice. No Hot Rods?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Adam Boca said:

Actually, you will need to call up the Resource Center at the NCM. Call 1.800.538.3883 and ask for the resource center. They will be able to help you. We have some 2002 build sheets. I picked up 5 boxes of 2002 build sheets today. We can get you a window sticker also.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Adam
I was trying to go the email route first so I wouldn't be the ole hot potato on the phone trying to find the "right" person, (the BOSS is still reeling from the $250 phone bill when I was calling dealers all through the US looking for a '02 MY Z06 in Sept and Oct) :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts