Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called the dealer yesterday, they said the MSO had arrived, and to show up at 5pm to pick 'er up. I show up about 30 minutes early, and there she is, with a couple beads of water still on her, on the showroom floor.. Must have just been put there.. I walk up, stand there with a few other people admiring my baby, mumble "nice car".. A salesman walks up, asks if I've been helped.. Jokingly, I say "I want this car.".. He says a bit sarcasticly, "Sure - just let me grab the keys and then open up the window on the floor for you so you can just drive it away".. I then told him who I was, and that I was actually here to pick it up.. He grabbed my salesman, and about 45 minutes later (after having to sit through excruciating readings of sections of the owner's manual), I was driving off the lot..

OH MY GOD. These first 500 miles are going to be torture. First thing I noticed, on my Chevy S10 - I have to give a decent amount of throttle before engaging first gear from a stop.. I did something similar in the Z, and the thing about broke my neck. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Then, I guess this is funny.. I've never driven a six speed, so I've always had a clear feel of where reverse would be.. So I'm driving home, get up about 50 mph, and then I had fear rush over me as I threw it into 5th gear thinking - OH CRAP! What if this is actually reverse? How do I know!?!? PANIC! So I just threw it back into 4th and drove home.. Only about 2100rpms.. When I got home in the driveway, then I messed around a bit getting reverse in, and I guess there's some kinda lockout happening automatically.. I'd hope so! Later on, I went out crusing and was slamming it into 5th without fear, tho. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Man, I'm green.

And, for the breakin period, I think the owner's manual is insane.. Stay below 55mph? No WOT? I was actually looking for some better guidelines, like : Vary RPMS for the first 500 miles, but do not exceed 3500rpms for the first 250, and 4500rpms for the 2nd 250 miles. Does anyone have any advice here? I'm just trying to keep it under 3500rpms for now, and making sure all changes are really smooth. I'm also avoiding 6th gear like the plague - have heard it puts too much stress on the car during breakin.

And I tell you what - the exhaust from within the car sounds AWESOME! And that's at low RPMS! I can't imagine the pull and sound of this car up around 5000-6000rpms.. I have to make these 500 miles go FAST!!!!

So, after a day where I could hardly talk from being so nervous/excited/anxious/etc and my stomache was in about 600 knots, I'd have to say that this car just ROCKS. I have taken some pictures, when I get them online I'll definitely post them up here..

(Sorry for the long post!)

---
dimer0

'01 Torch Red Z06 (yeAa!!#@#(&[email protected])
'01 Audi S4

·
Registered
528 Posts
Congrats.......
That smile on your face is permanent. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
245 Posts
Congrats!

I am going to pick mine up in a couple of weeks. I am going to be driving mine home from TN to TX. I think I am feeling a lot of what you are! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
566 Posts
dimer:

Enjoy your new ride! Just vary the engine RPMs during the first 500 or so miles, and avoid any sudden stops on the brakes for the first few hundred miles, that's about it for break in.
Let the car warm up before you start any WOT stuff. The first dozen or so heat cycles for the car are critical in meshing gears engine parts etc.

Get a good radar detector and be careful out there! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
391 Posts
Congratulations!! I had my Z at its first show this weekend. It was local but I won first place. I had about 15 people standing around me at any one time. One guy wanted to hear the exhaust so I started it and let everyone admire. I was the only Z there for the show until Rippied showed up. Ron you really should put some soap and water on that thing. New tires wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dennis,

Thanks for the info -- So when I read 1) vary the rpms, and 2) don't wot until warmed up (which is common practice for me on the Audi all the time), can I take that to mean that as long as the car's warmed up, at 30 miles on the odometer I *should* be using the whole rpm-"band" - and getting the engine up to 6000 rpms???

·
Registered
282 Posts
Dimer0, no I don't think you should do any WOT's before the 500 miles. It puts too much stress on the new engine. Also you do want to run the car through all gears including 6th, just don't go uphill in 6th because that might actually put some unwanted stress on the engine. Congratulations on your car! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
34 Posts
See, this is why you must do NCM delivery /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Get the miles on that baby. I'm a little under 800 miles and I still am keeping it below 5500 RPMs until 1000.

It's a freakin rocket ship on wheels as it is. Enjoy the ride and don't forget to wave!

·
Registered
566 Posts
dimer0:

I waited until the first 500 miles before I took it over 5K rpms, then after that I put it to over 6K at least once or twice when I would drive it, for about the first 1200 miles (when the oil was changed).
Now I drive it hard. You have to seat those rings sometime. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Congratulations! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

No need to apologize for the long post...good story!

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
151 Posts
get your miles in town or on county roads, I about got killed numerous times going 50-55 on the interstate during my break-in.

use all the gears, shift a lot, don't break hard and vary the RPMs.

is that cornhusker red?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts