Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got around 800 miles in........and have not babied the rig at all once past 500, and varied the rates of rpm's even then.(under 500).
Pulled the stick this A.M., and looks to be down around a 1/3 OFF the Max mark......I assume this is approx a half quart?.......
So, it seems these '01 engines are all destined to be users, and the re-ring scenario is the only remedy.........
Too bad, I surely didn't expect to spend a wad of dough on a 50k auto, and have it torn down in 2 weeks after purchase.
But, from the sounds of you guys (some) consumption I am lucky......and am grateful for that.....
However, I tend to be a perfectionist, and this IS not acceptable in any way form or fashion, and will seek relief immediately.......
Wish me luck...........:roll:

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Seems fine to me

Z06LS6, your LS6 is fine,so far. 1/3 of a QT of oil is very normal. As you put more miles on the motor it will use less oil. You will use more for at least a couple of thousand miles. Just keep checking it and enjoy your Z. FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FUBU69

Thanks for the encouragement.........
I guess I should wait at least a couple of k more, before rending a final verdict.........;)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I agree that it's too early to be concerned. Give the rings more time to seat, and you should see oil consumption diminish.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
They are right, mine was a big burner but it slowed dramatically at about 3-4k......

Now, it seems ok.......

JC

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have an 01 and have 2934miles on her so far and have not had to add any extra oil outside of an oil change. I changed the oil at about 1500 miles. I regret not getting the level before changing. I have about 3/4 showing on the stick. Meaning just a bit below the max level.

I do baby mine but have fun occasionally especially when a "sucka" tries to run up on me an I have to blow him.

I have only redlined 1st and 2nd and that was only twice. I don't have a road long enough to redline 3rd.

I need to get back to those long Tx roads.

Hope this gives some hope and help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ZO6LS6,

Consumption will go down. If you drive the way most of us do, and it sounds like you do, you will see that once you get past the 5K mark, consumption will drop some.

I'm expecting it to go away almost completely by the 20k mark.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got 13k miles on my Z and consumption has been steady since day one at a qt every 1200-1800 miles depending on how I drive it. It has been as high as a qt in 1100 and as low as a qt in 1850 miles. It does seem to be a little better since I switched to 10-30 instead of 5-30 weight. Also, hot weather increases the usage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how the colder weather (can't really claim to have cold weather here in good old Houston, TX :D ) will affect consumption.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Doesn't get real cold here in So Cal either. It just seems to use more oil when there is spell of hotter weather as opposed to temps in the 60's or below.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts