Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish there would have been a pic taken after he was done. You couldn't even see the truck!

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Wow, is that some smoke! Is there a little bleach water under there or is that all "rubber"?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was all rubber. He was about to leave the meeting when someone suggested he do a small burnout, so it was an impromptu deal. Here is some of the aftermath.

What isn't in this pic is the large amounts of rubber that was slung back away from the tire marks. We all suggested he drive through it a few times to get some of his rubber back. :D

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Don't ALL fords smoke like that???? :lol:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vettepilot: OK, I'm confused by your post. Nashville PD? Is there something illegal going on in the last pic that I should know about? If so, I definitely will remove the plates, but I see nothing wrong with a guy parked over a set of burn-out marks. For those thay may not know, Ford did produce more than 1 white Lightning. :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sorry if you misunderstood the post, was just adding some humor on the first, and making sure you didn't take it seriously on the second. And no I don't think there is anything "illegal" about the truck sitting over the tire marks, but the series of photos "could" be considered incriminating by some I suppose. I'm definately not an expert in the laws. My thought was if the wrong people saw it, they could decide to kinda watch for the vehicle. That's all I was trying to get across.

Stan

·
Registered
788 Posts
its not an issue.

but.....cool pics! those are fast trucks....i dont understand why people want them...but there is no denying they are fast!

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Lawboy said:
its not an issue.

but.....cool pics! those are fast trucks....i dont understand why people want them...but there is no denying they are fast!
Certainly not everyone would want one. But, if you ever get a chance to ride in one compared to a typical truck of any make/model, you'll understand its more than just a lot of power in a short-bed pickup.

It's very comfortable, handles extremely well for a truck, brakes extremely well, tows either of my cars to and from the track if need be, carries any/all of my work stuff and I think they look great. :) Plus, 0-80mph if you are in an F-body or Mustang that is close to being stock...you'd better be on your "A" game or you will be seeing a shot that resembles the second picture above.

Aerodynamics of a brick slow it down once it hits 3rd gear (~85mph), but its very stable at 120+mph...moreso than I would ever have thought.

Completely different than a Z06, of course...not trying to start some silly comparison here. ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vettepilot: No problem! I totally understood that you were just trying to help me out. I was just trying to point out that there were 2 different white trucks there. ;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
:D

Wes: i knew i would be hearing from you on this one!!!

i agree they are great looking trucks...and i agree that their performance is impressive...what i dont understand and maybe you can explain it to me....is why would you want that kind of performance from a truck? when you can get it from vehicles that were made specifically for performance? also, isnt it limited in its primary duties as a pick em up truck? i mean can you really use it to haul and tow stuff? and if so, do you really use it like you would any other truck?

i agree also about the comparison. this is simply my yearning to understand the motives behind this segment of the truck market!

·
3,265 Posts
Lawboy said:
:D

Wes: i knew i would be hearing from you on this one!!!

i agree they are great looking trucks...and i agree that their performance is impressive...what i dont understand and maybe you can explain it to me....is why would you want that kind of performance from a truck? when you can get it from vehicles that were made specifically for performance? also, isnt it limited in its primary duties as a pick em up truck? i mean can you really use it to haul and tow stuff? and if so, do you really use it like you would any other truck?

i agree also about the comparison. this is simply my yearning to understand the motives behind this segment of the truck market!
First off, I will readily admit that the market/demand for this type of vehicle is small. Look at the 454SS. It didn't last long. The 1st Gen Lightning was a 3 year run. The 2nd Gen Lightning is the only truck out there in this class (but the market must be getting bigger b/c Chevy and Dodge are getting ready to release their own "hot-rod" trucks).

Even so, consider that ~5000 Lightnings were made in each of the last 3 model years. 15000 trucks out there. That's not a lot.

So your point is valid! I'm not denying that. It takes something a bit twisted to probably own one. ;)

However, it _does_ indeed do everything I need in a truck. I have my own real estate company. I haul tools, etc. in it. I do have a tonneau cover for it, but I had a spray in bedliner installed and yeah...I haul junk in there. It has a towing capacity of 5000lbs and it is just like any other 1/2 ton pickup as far as payload goes. I have towed my Mustang on a large trailer to an out-of-town racetrack a number of times. It handles the chore easily.

So, this is NOT a Syclone truck where you could barely haul a motorcycle in the back (not that those trucks weren't cool...they were! Their utility was just far less than a Lightning). But yes...I use it as I would a normal pickup. It's true "utility" might surprise you.

Why do I want/need a fast truck? That's a great question, and probably where I have to honestly answer and say you'd have to be a bit demented to buy one.

Would I own one if I could only own one vehicle? No, I wouldn't. Although I put more miles on it than I do the Z06 and my Mustang combined in a year's time. It's easy to drive in Dallas traffic (stop and go), is very unassuming (mine is white and seems almost invisible to radar ;) ), and is "fun" to drive.

·
Registered
788 Posts
good response.

glad to hear they can be used more than the syclones...

sounds like the perfect truck for your needs! thats great! not demented! it makes perfect sense especially given they can actually tow and haul stuff!

how are the mods coming on the Z?

have you taken it back to the dyno yet? i bet you've picked up another ~10 rwhp just on break in.....

·
3,265 Posts
Lawboy said:
good response.

glad to hear they can be used more than the syclones...

sounds like the perfect truck for your needs! thats great! not demented! it makes perfect sense especially given they can actually tow and haul stuff!

The only real _impractical_ things about it are that 1) it is a standard cab and 2) its a bit pricey for a standard cab/short bed truck (~$30k). If you can live with those two things the performance/utility aspect of the truck is pretty phenomenal.

Ford is coming out with the blown 5.4 in their '03 Harley Davidson crew cab truck. Will have a little less power (which can be overcome with a pulley swap), and it's obviously a bigger truck so all areas of performance will suffer, but it will be nice for those that need to haul the entire family around in it. However, it will be $37k. Ouch.

how are the mods coming on the Z?

have you taken it back to the dyno yet? i bet you've picked up another ~10 rwhp just on break in.....
I have not gotten back to the dyno. In fact, I really haven't gotten to drive it that much. :( I got home from picking it up in Baton Rouge with 520 miles on it. Almost 4 weeks later it has 880 miles. So, ~220 since I dyno'd it. I have installed the Vortex Rammer box and duct, a throttle body coolant bypass, and a 178^ t-stat and integrated fan controller (really seems to keep the temps down).

I installed some Fikse FM5 wheels in place of the stockers. Kept the same wheel sizes, however.

Next up will be headers of some sort (undecided on which ones) and then the TNT nitrous kit. If the A/F ratios look funky, then I may certainly need to consider 30lb injectors and/or a MAFT.

After this I'm done for a long while.

Have a good one! :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
do you have any pics of the Z with the new rims? would love to see them!

wow! sounds like you're heading in the right direction with the mods! but of course that is to be expected from someone with your knowledge about cars.....when youre done with all that you listed you should be running low 11s on street tires.....dont ya think? guess it depends on the NOS shot......the setup you have described is very similar to OpticZ06 and I believe he is running ~11.3 :eek: :eek: :eek:

have you met up with any of the other DFW Z owners? I'm anxious to do something with someone but havent seen anyone posting anything????

·
Registered
514 Posts
Lightning HP

"Don't scare me like that"

- zurmagus

- Agreed.

What's the HP on a Lightning anyway?

·
3,265 Posts
Lawboy said:
do you have any pics of the Z with the new rims? would love to see them!

wow! sounds like you're heading in the right direction with the mods! but of course that is to be expected from someone with your knowledge about cars.....when youre done with all that you listed you should be running low 11s on street tires.....dont ya think? guess it depends on the NOS shot......the setup you have described is very similar to OpticZ06 and I believe he is running ~11.3 :eek: :eek: :eek:

have you met up with any of the other DFW Z owners? I'm anxious to do something with someone but havent seen anyone posting anything????
Search down in the Grandstand Forum and you should see my post with the Fikse wheels on the car. Or go to my webpage, scan down to the Vette and click on it. This will take you to the Vette page.

I hope for ~375rwhp N/A and then throw on a 100hp shot. So, ~470+rwhp and well over 500rwtq. I am not going to run anything but the stock tires for now, so I will not hit the nitrous til at the earliest 2nd gear. But, I do hope the thing will run 125mph+ through the traps. Certainly good for low-11s with decent traction.

Z06LS6 lives in the same city I do, just north of Plano. But we haven't met up yet in person.

We should try a lunch get-together sometime.

There are a number of us in the area.

Myself and a couple of friends are planning to go to Hallsville this next Sunday. Let me know if you want to go! :)

Stogo,

A stock '99-00 Lightning was rated at 365hp and most put out ~325-330rwhp stock. The '01-02 Lightning is rated at 380hp.

I picked up 30+rwhp with just a chip and air filter kit. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts