Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a 09 Z06 and I'm looking into some "go faster" options. I traded in my supercharged audi S5 for a faster NA Z06. I've got a couple of questions. The only stipulation to all of the questions is that it has to be reliable. This is my every day driver. There are basically 3 options other than NA and I've seen all 3 do well...supercharged, turbo, and NOS. First off how much power can you generate from the LS7 NA? Say with a cam, heads, etc. Secondly how much power can you reliably generate supercharged, turbocharged, and with NOS? Basically what is the best setup in your opinion WITH A STOCK LS7? I know if you build the motor you can do a lot but I'm not ready for that just yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased a 2006 Z06 about two months ago. It had a Procharger put on 2 1/2 years ago. There have been no issues, probably due to the previous owner setting it at 4.5 psi, since he drove the car daily.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You can always put a mild cam in the car if you decide all NA route. Avg power will be around 550-575. If you do FI route you'll be around the same power range if you tune it conservatively. If it was to me I'd put a FI friendly cam and go from there.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
You can always put a mild cam in the car if you decide all NA route. Avg power will be around 550-575. If you do FI route you'll be around the same power range if you tune it conservatively. If it was to me I'd put a FI friendly cam and go from there.
Uhh, don't think a mild cam is going to produce 550-575rwhp. That's a 100+rwhp bump.

A blower with 4.5 lbs of boost is probably good for 125 to 150 rwhp even if tuned conservatively.

Not recommending one over the other, but comparing the power levels of a mild cam swap (or even not so mild) and a supercharger even at only 4.5 lbs and thinking the power range is similar is waaaay off.

Mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
Uhh, don't think a mild cam is going to produce 550-575rwhp. That's a 100+rwhp bump.

A blower with 4.5 lbs of boost is probably good for 125 to 150 rwhp even if tuned conservatively.

Not recommending one over the other, but comparing the power levels of a mild cam swap (or even not so mild) and a supercharger even at only 4.5 lbs and thinking the power range is similar is waaaay off.

Mike

I was thinking of the supporting mods to go with the build, not just the cam... I know a cam will net avg of 50hp give or take. Add an intake manifold/tune/cai/full exhaust etc, then thatll be closer to the numbers I mentioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would it be possible to run a conservative cam or blower in addition to like a 100 shot of spray. That way I have a conservatively fast car to drive to and from work but at the flip of a switch can push the engine closer to the limit. I'm sure I can do it with a cam, just not sure how aggressive of a cam to run with spray. I'm really interested in the idea of supercharging plus spray. Don't think I've ever seen anyone do it (probably for good reason). However if you run a low enough boost, say 4ish, and don't spray more than a 100 or so I would think it would be relatively safe right? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
348 Posts
A lot of guys run spray with either setup.Tuning is crucial when you go spray. A lot of people has fd up their cars bc their builders/tuners don't know what they're doing.
If it was up to me, I'd do a FI friendly cam. So that way if I want/need more power all I need to do it slap on the boost and were good. I'd do Procharger or TT setup though, since theres more HP possibilities. Also they're not as harsh on the drivetrain too, since the torque is not instant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure I'm following. You're saying put in a cam that would be compatible with a blower kit down the road? Is it possible to reliably run a supercharger system with low boost plus NOS?

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
I'm not sure I'm following. You're saying put in a cam that would be compatible with a blower kit down the road? Is it possible to reliably run a supercharger system with low boost plus NOS?
The key word there is 'reliable'. You can load lots of boost through blower or spray and get away with it...sometimes.

The question is....is the LS7 engine a good platform for running boost and IMHO it is if it is modest boost and conservative tuning is crucial.

A blower, at say 4.5 lbs of boost, PLUS a shot of Nos is a good way to blow an LS7 engine IMHO.

Mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
The key word there is 'reliable'. You can load lots of boost through blower or spray and get away with it...sometimes.

The question is....is the LS7 engine a good platform for running boost and IMHO it is if it is modest boost and conservative tuning is crucial.

A blower, at say 4.5 lbs of boost, PLUS a shot of Nos is a good way to blow an LS7 engine IMHO.

Mike
+1 on this OP.. It's definitely doable, but you're on borrowed time. If you want to come close to the engines limits, then by all means go ahead. We're not the 1 that's going to pay 13k+ on a new engine. :) I say either cam it, or do FI route, or both at the same time. I would skip spray for now. With these setups, you're going to have a fun 10 sec street car.

What you can always do is go FI, and if you want more power all you have to do is boost more.

And to your question yes, if you plan to cam the Z then have a cam spec'd out that will be compatible with a procharger, supercharger, or TT down the road. Your builder should be able to get 1 specifically for your needs. This is the cam that I'm running right now on my G8 GT which is spec'd out specifically for a procharger. 230/242 .627/.601 lsa 112+4. This won't work for a SC bc of the duration and lift.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
My buddy Matt here in KC has a Z with Cam (more than mild), full exhaust, ported TB and tune that made 572 RWHP. He said it is very drivable. Has a small hesitation at 1700 rpm. I was amazed to see it put down this kind of power with so little mods.

Sure makes it hard for me not to modify mine.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
My buddy Matt here in KC has a Z with Cam (more than mild), full exhaust, ported TB and tune that made 572 RWHP. He said it is very drivable. Has a small hesitation at 1700 rpm. I was amazed to see it put down this kind of power with so little mods.

Sure makes it hard for me not to modify mine.
Isn't he the one running on E85?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of good info. I think I will go h/c for now and make sure the cam allows for FI down the road. I may still spray a 100 shot. If I decide to build the motor who do you recommend and what should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
34 Posts
mine running 6psi and it's doing good pro charged + kooks 1-7/8 the car made 608whp. "Safe tune" the tuner said there is some more hps but it's seems enough to me.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
mine running 6psi and it's doing good pro charged + kooks 1-7/8 the car made 608whp. "Safe tune" the tuner said there is some more hps but it's seems enough to me.

Based on your past posts, I was under the impression you had a C5Z, not a C6Z??

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts