Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll admit that I'm not a tire expert but... I picked up two nails in the passenger rear tire. One is a small finish nail the other looks like a brad (at least I know my nails).

Took it into Discount Tire and they said, "No way. We can't fix a tire where the nail goes in at a 90 degrees. It needs to be replaced". :jawdrop:

Cost: $700.00 out the door to replace both rear tires since they had about 18k miles on them.

Is this true? Has anyone run across this before? I thought it could easily be patched since the nail hole(s) were so small. :-?

Ps. Both nails are in the tread.

Pss. yes, I did a search on this first. :p

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
You got ripped. :(

Tyre manufacturers support and warrant appropriate and approved tyre repairs, even maintaining speed ratings for Z and ZR rated tyres for the first repair, as long as it is not in the sidewall or shoulder.

I will dig up the link, but have had this confirmed from Goofyear.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
pricey.. but .. 18k.. you were probably due some tires..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah you got ripped off. I had the same thing happen to me, but it was the dealer telling me that I would need a new rear tire. I took it to Belle Tire and they actually were able to just patch it....and didn't charge me a thing! I haven't had a problem since and of course because they did the right thing and didn't screw me (probably hoping I would come to them when I needed new tires) I will likely go to them when I need new ones. Sorry to hear about your situation. Only question I would have is if the tire was completely flat, or if you were driving on it and they found the nails in it while it was half-inflated. I ask because I never saw the nail in mine, but I heard the air leaking out, and they said it was a pretty large nail, but it still was fixed easily!!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Best avice....Ditch the F1's for Nitto 555 R2's from Discounttiredirect.com, tell them you want them heat cycled and with "certificates".

Certificates are basically insurance against road hazards such as nails, Ive had nails in $200. tires quite a few times.The certificates are $30 a piece for the rears.

Youll never spin the tires in 1st gear again...at least for 10k miles. :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks RC. It didn't sound right since so many other people have had them repaired.

I will fight this one. I just need to find a reputable tire shop to validate that it can be fixed. I haven't received the tires yet but paid for them in advance with my Amex card.

I thought Discount Tire was reputable since so many other people used them for repairs. :bmad:

So the "90 degree angle of the nail" was just a bunch of :bs:??

ps. I've babied these tires... they are not even close to the wear marks. :blush:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The aforementioned advice is assuming you havent replaced them yet, I re-read your post. I have gotten nails in the tread before and had it plugged for $20. no problem and not a safety concern. If its in the sidewall it cant be plugged....

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think you got rippped off. I think the limit is 1 patch and after that they don't warranty. They may have done the patches for you without warranty, but why take the risk of a blowout? You needed new tires anyway with 18k on them.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
$350 per rear tyre is a major rip.. ;) Even if needing replacement, $350 for GYF1 SC's is too much.

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
Damn Dude!! I know your pain!!
I had a flat a couple weeks ago. Thought it was a nail and just aired it up!!
Went to Goodyear Tire on McDowell they wanted to replace the tire!!
Then went to Discount Tire on Scottsdale Road and the wait was two hours and they didn't know the Z doesn't have a spare!!
Went to the Discount Tire @ Indian Bend and 101. They looked at the tire, told me it would be fixed in an hour. I passed the time at Best Buy, spent $600 on a new digital camera, XD card and other things!! :guiness:
I came back and found out that it was a razor blade in the tire and the plug and patch was FREE!!
I wrote an e-mail to the corporate office about the amazing experience from that franchise!
You got screwed and didn't have to!!
I believe Discount Tire's policy is to fix flats for free!!

I know where I will buy tires when I need them!!

Ken

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I called my local Discount Tire, the guy first quoted me $15 to patch my right rear tire. When asked him f they could handle lifting a Corvette properly, the guy's voice went up an octave and he said it was now $30 and if I could guide them in how to lift it properly, they would be glad to help me out (take my money...).

...mmmmmmmm :crazy:

PS: For tires from on-line tire retailers, be sure to add shipping and other costs to get your total cost per tire for an accurate comparison to local prices.

Also, if you do buy tires on-line, call around for installation prices and set up a mounting/balancing appointment. Be sure and have your puck ready. My local shop had deep-dish industrial jacks that needed a double puck to get clearance. Fortunately I just put together a couple. :coo:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I don't think it was necessary to replace your tires. I'm sorry, they lied to you. They didn't have much life in them with 18k miles. But, they didn't have to lie to get your money.

Those :cen:!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
To replace rear tires do they need pucks or can they jack it from the rear end crossmember section?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Brian,

Car can be lifted from the rear like you said.

·
Registered
353 Posts
briann510 said:
To replace rear tires do they need pucks or can they jack it from the rear end crossmember section?
you may have clearance problems and can just roll the rears up on some 2x4 just remember to block the tires so the car doesnt roll off the jack stands.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
eviLS6 said:
Best avice....Ditch the F1's for Nitto 555 R2's from Discounttiredirect.com, tell them you want them heat cycled and with "certificates".

Certificates are basically insurance against road hazards such as nails, Ive had nails in $200. tires quite a few times.The certificates are $30 a piece for the rears.

Youll never spin the tires in 1st gear again...at least for 10k miles. :D
Are these the tires???
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cs=305&pc=40188&rd=18&ar=45

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RC45 said:
Yes... funny story about all this. First, the right rear tire had two nails. From what I'm reading, Goodyear will only allow one patch per tire... is this true?

Originally, Discount Tire quoted me $315.00 per tire. I said, "I can get them at TireRack.com for $275.00". Of course I lied... the sales guy said, "Let me see what I can do...". He came back with, "I can do them for $295.00 each."

I said, "Order them".

Did I still get screwed? :-?

So, you know what I'm going to do with the old tires... BURN EM UP!!!!!! :jammin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,
I just sent a message to Y2K2Z06 to see if he is interested in the (4)
GOODYEAR Super car tires I have, All are 295/35/18 two with 5/32
and Two with 6/32---As you know they only come with 8/32 new!
Asking 100.00 ea for the 5/32 and 115.00 for the 6/32 selling in pairs only I'm in Chandler AZ. REDCARS

All tires now sold Thanks :usa:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts