Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw some questions on oil filters. NAPA has a "Gold" number 1042 that is made by Wick, as I was told the largest OEM. This is a super fine filter, list $10.80, I got mine for $6.69. Hope this helps.
Mike Conway
#426 94 yellow ZR1
#88824 91 yellow Testarossa
#?????? 2002 yellow ZO6 built 2/4/02, can't wait.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Champion Labs is the worlds largest mfg of OEM filters. I didn't realize that WIX was even still in biz:D

Champion also mfgs the Mobil-1 M1-107 filter which has a synthetic media, and a real high micron count(don't have the #'s handy), the NAPA Golds are a great filter but are still a paper media filter. But should still do the trick with no problem!

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the birth of your new Z!:D

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the information about the NAPA Gold filter.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Mike: Glad to have youwith us!!:D

If you would like to see some interesting oil filter info. go to http://wwwshoclub.com/

Go to members only
Go to Buford dives into......

Lots of reading :eek: If you can't wait go to part 5 for comparison.
Sold me, I had thought PF-44 would be fine since it is the factory filter. I won't be trying to save a few dollars on the oil filter for a $51,000.00 car. :bang:

You found a great site & you have an awesome car on the way. :cool: Congrats!!

Terry

:z:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Great info Terry........

Just in the last 45 days, Champion Labs STOPPED mfg the AC Delco line......this would concern me a bit(not knowing who the new vendor is--pray it isn't FRAM!). I had left some info in a previous post that even our "local" Chevy Dealer doesn't carry, or list the Ultra Guard filter, they use a 'Dura-Guard" PF-44 equivilant.

First I had heard of a Castrol branded filter. .........

And of course as most Forum members know, the Mobil-1 is a fantastic filter!

:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have not changed oil yet (600 miles). When I do I will use the UPF-44 IF I find out that Champion Labs will continue making the Ultra Guard filter for AC.:-?

Until I find out that Champion will continue making them or until I see test comparisons with a new suppliers filter I will be using the Mobil-1.

I've only found one Chevy dealer in Kansas City that even knows that the Ultra Guard filter exists. :mad:

If anyone out there finds out who will be making the Ultra Guard filter for GM in the future Please Post the information.

Lets hope GM does not change the specifications for making the filter in the future to save money:flaming:

Terry :z:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Champion Labs no longer makes ANY filters for AC Delco, I spoke with my contact there about 2 weeks ago, they were not insightful as to why, but the answer was NO!

I wasn't smart enough to ask about ID #'s to determine which filter would be a Champ, as it will have no obvious name recognition on it..........

Mobil 1 for me!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Z0000006:

Thanks for the inside info! It will be Mobil-1 for me too until I see data showing the new Ultra Guard is as good as or better than Mobil-!;)

Norman:

I'm hoping I never have to take my Z back to Chevy for service, :cry: But if I do, do you know if there is a dealer in Kansas City that has a good corvette tech that we can trust?:-?

If not, are you involved with a local corvette club where you could find out?

Nice Ice Storm. I'm glad to have electricity again! I'd sure like to take the Z out for a spin. But will stay off the highways till we have a good rain to wash the sand off. I don't care much for chips in the paint.:flaming:

Terry

:z:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Champion also makes the K&N. The Mobil, K&N, and AC Gold are all "microfine" filters. The SHO review if I recall liked the AC and K&N best.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I will be using the Mobil 1 filters after my supply of UPF44s from last year are gone.

GOLD72 :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The SHO article seemed to like the AC Ultra Guard, Mobil 1, and K&N best in that order. But they all were very close. Until we get some test results on the AC filters made by the new supplier, I do not think you can go wrong with Mobil 1 or K&N.:yeadog:

Now I wish I could find Mobil 1 oil for $3.00/qt. like some say they do. It's about $4.50 in Kansas City.:(

Terry :z:

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I get Mobil 1 at target for $3 a qt.

Here is info for target in your area:

http://www.target.com/common/storelocator/index.jhtml;jsessionid=X2ZFHQZCCF3L4ICTCT24JCBAKMKPVZRN

Kansas City Chouteau Target
4375 Chouteau Trafficway , Kansas City, MO 64117 USA
Phone: (816) 452-2164

Kansas City North Target
8420 N Madison Ave , Kansas City, MO 64155 USA
Phone: (816) 436-8711

Independence Greatland Target
17810 E 39th Street , Independence, MO 64055 USA
Phone: (816) 373-1800

I don't work for Target or own Target stock, just want my brothers to get it for $3 a qt also.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I don't know the part numbers for all the other filters mentioned in this thread, but here is the UPF44 GM part number: 25329389. You might want to see if your local Chevy dealer can order it for you....hope this helps.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Zippy said:
I don't know the part numbers for all the other filters mentioned in this thread, but here is the UPF44 GM part number: 25329389. You might want to see if your local Chevy dealer can order it for you....hope this helps.

Zippy :z: :z:
Screw my local dealer............I'm going with Mobil 1's at a much better wholesale price........

These guys obviously don't cater to to many Vette owners, or they would carry the filter. They also don't have a very aggressive Parts Manager, or for pure profit they would be stocking and installing the filter on EVERY LS1/LS6. I was a Parts and Service Director for another brand, and I guarantee if a higher profit item like this was available, it would have been in stock! As usual, this particular dealer is a big dope!

JM2CW

Win

1 - 18 of 18 Posts