Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a cam installed in the next month or so and was looking for a few opinions. I am looking at going with either:
1. LGM G5X3 cam with the comp 921 springs and a tune for around $2300 estimated rwhp is 430.

2. 21st CMC Comp Cam with I believe 918 springs, new true roller timing chain, ported oil pump, 160 stat, new plugs, LS1 edit, labor and testing. Estimated rwhp is 420 and 395tq. The cost is around $1800. They can go 1 cam bigger but didnt recommend it, there cam is around 229 @.50 lift and .588 valve lift.

Anyone have any recommendation's or experience with either, driveability, reliability; how often are you having to change your springs with the LG cam? The 21st pckg looks better as they are doing more for $500 less but the power is less too, anyone have a cam pkg from 21st? I know about what LG will do, seen plenty of their cars dyno so thats not a question, I just don't want to leave anything on the table after this is done.
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Mill, While those peak numbers are nice it's the torque curve that you will see at the track or on the street. I would take a fat torque curve top to bottom over any high peaky HP number. Tuner's have past installs in there data base's. Have each one send/show you what the power curve looks like then compare. Tell them your goals and work from there. It's a pain in the butt to have to hammer an engine to get the performance out of it. Go with something you don't have to rev to the moon.

D.J.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks OneQuickCoupe, I got that, I just wanted some real world people who have either or both to see waht there take was. I know LG and 21st are going to promote there own line; I'm looking for some independent realworld feedback. I dont want to do it twice.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
theyre both excellent tuners, and im sure youll have a great experience with either... :ity:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
You can't go wrong with either one. Choice 2# looks like your getting a little more for your money. Although I like the 921 springs better. :cheers:

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I do believe your expectations are going to leave you disappointed when the results come in!!
You are not on the east coast w/negative DA's, underdrive pulleys, electric water pumps and the tuner around the block to lean the b**ch out to make a number!
40-50 rwhp from a cam?? NOT likely!!

Ken

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken I am looking/expecting about 20-30 rwhp form either cam, I am currently at 380rwhp w/o a tune. I guesstimate with a tune that I would be closer to 390-395 rwhp which I would only be looking at a 20-30hp increase at the wheels. I am realistic on the power levels as I expect the G5X3 to have no problems getting to 420-430 rwhp and 390-400tq since most people who are running this cam seem to hover in that area. My question is what will a setup from 21st CMC do and what is the relative drivability and maintenance of both. I am looking for people with either for feedback to see how satisfied they are with the setup specifically the 21st CMC. The car is not my daily but I do want to limit as many problems as I can IE. cam surge, bucking and shaking. You guys with G5X3's, how do you like them? Hows the car drive and is there anyone around with a 21st CMC cam pkg? Hows your car performance, satisfied? I want to know before I spend money just to wish I went for the G5X3 cam.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Emissions not an issue? I'd definitely have gone with the LG G5X3 and the comp 921 dual springs...

The durability of the comp 921 dual spring setup is above reproach especially for high lift cams...

The G5X3 with an experienced LS1tune is a work of art.

Thats the best dual valve spring setup in my humble opinion and well worth the extra money.

You get what you pay for..without a doubt. and the valve spring area is not a place to save a few dollars..

JMO ..

Good luck

JB

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I have the LG G5X3 set up with the 921 springs
I got 99% of the cam surge out and all hot starting issues fixed.
I also have AFR heads, 90 Fast intake and 90mm TB, 32 lb injectors. ARP underdrive pulley, LG headers, X pipe, AND cats.
I got 487 rwhp after alot of selftuning.
If you want THUMP use the G5X3 cam and you will be happy.
I drive mine EVERYDAY!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts