Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would appreciate anyone's help in running a CarFax to search for service related problems on my car. I will reimburse any fees.
Thanks,
Bob Work: 800-666-6634 ext. 7919 (7am-3pm Pacific Time)
E-mail: [email protected] Fax: 949-794-7043

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Bob, Not sure if I understand you correct but carfax will not give you any maintance history on a car. It could tell you the following:

milage history
if the car was totaled
theft recovery
Flood
and a few other things.

qwik z06 said:
I would appreciate anyone's help in running a CarFax to search for service related problems on my car. I will reimburse any fees.
Thanks,
Bob Work: 800-666-6634 ext. 7919 (7am-3pm Pacific Time)
E-mail: [email protected] Fax: 949-794-7043

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks GMBlack3 for your breakdown on this. I was trying to find out if anything will show up on the carfax, if GM replaces my engine with a new block, due to oil consumption problems.
Bob

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Bob, that will not show up on the carfax. Maybe a person could find out that info by giving the VIN to a chevy service dept? Not sure if it would have to be at the dealership where the work was done.

qwik z06 said:
Thanks GMBlack3 for your breakdown on this. I was trying to find out if anything will show up on the carfax, if GM replaces my engine with a new block, due to oil consumption problems.
Bob

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would never purchase an expensive used car without the service history. You may need a dealer contact to get it.

A good friend works at a Ford dealership and has about 20 years of experience as a service manager. We were chatting last night about buyer expectations being different from folks who buy American vs. foreign.

He was surprised at how much the foreign car buyers will pay for 'routine service'. They come in and try and trade a honda and claim that they've never had a problem with the car

Of course on a trade the dealer pulls the complete service history on the car. So he sees brakes, exhaust, and a bunch of other stuff.

He says the foreign owner considers that 'routine maint' because it is in the manual, etc. This dealership also does BMW and Jaguar. They basically drive into the dealership before anything goes wrong and say "I'm here for my 50K mile reaming."

The folks who buy American, he says, tend to just drive it. They don't want to read the manual, and they don't expect it to need service. Drive it until it breaks. The thought of paying to fix something that hasn't broken is unacceptable.

That will certainly skew 'reliability' numbers of different car brands.

Clearly, there is something to be said for preventative maint. But I thought it was interesting..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts